MrStipo

Re: Where are you going to put your Raspberry Pi?

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey, not sure if this should be here or in the projects section but the intention of this topic is to discuss two things:

A: Where are you going to physically put your board, what are you mounting it inside of, where in your home / apartment will it live.

B: What is your intended use of the Raspberry Pi?

For me, I'm thinking about a few different mounting points, I have a few old laptops that serve no purpose except for spare parts, and I was thinking about gutting one of them and seeing how many of the components (like the screen, trackpad, keyboard, battery etc) I could hook into an RPi, essentially making a RaspberryPiLaptop.

Other than that I have a few old devices (and a new dremel tool) that would make great cases for a media center computer. My room mate is moving out this summer and he's taking his media server with him, so I'll need one of my own.

The laptop will roll with me, the media center will reside in my living room. I will probably pick up a third when I can as well and just do some developing on it.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Surely a Pi-top!

RaTTuS

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

my 1st one in going in a 3 1/2 " External Sata HD case [with a 2 1/2" Drive in it]
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

JoeDaStudd

Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:48 pm

Fingers crossed (it should have been done in time for Christmas....) I get my RepRap up and running by the time my Raspberry Pi arrives. At which point I can print a case, if not I'll just get some rubber feet and sit it on my desk.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:02 pm

a) Up my bottom

b) Using it as an alien probing device.

Been a long day.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

tek-monkey

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Back of the TV with some double sided sticky tape!

Actually, I wonder if the USB port on the TV will power it?

tek-monkey

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm

JamesH said:

a) Up my bottom

Been a long day.

Would that make you an alien?

Alchemy

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Case: My plan and don't think I'll get around to it first week. Fold A4 paper unfold leave "roof" above board.

Use. Hopefully it'll run this 3D Bio-Morph thing I'm doing. I have no idea which makes it fun.

o19

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:10 pm

a.) the first will be attached to the back of an HDMI monitor, a later one will be put into an RC car.

b.) the first will be for evaluation and multi-purpose use, the second one for automation of the RC car.

MrStipo

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:45 pm

o19 said:

a.) the first will be attached to the back of an HDMI monitor, a later one will be put into an RC car.

b.) the first will be for evaluation and multi-purpose use, the second one for automation of the RC car.

I like this idea, robotic cars!

I took a robotics course in school and we did something slightly similar, but the computers were Dell Minis and the cars were Roombas.

o19

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:02 pm

At the moment it's just the big idea, we'll see, where I can get with this. I know a bit about RC cars, a bit less about electronics, a bit more about vehicle dynamics and yet a bit more about computers.

I will start to think about a detailed concept, if I've made some experience, with the R-Pi and the Gert board. I hope it all will fit into a 1:10 car, as 1:5 are really expensive (for a student like me)…

Prometheus

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:56 pm

A: I'll be putting my Raspberry Pi on my desk. I'll be waiting for the pre-cased version, as I will be placing the device and some cable extenders into the back of a modified or created-from-scratch plush toy.

B: It will be my main computer - x86 is massive overkill and massively wasteful of power for what I do, really.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:00 pm

JamesH said:

a) Up my bottom

Been a long day.

You did remember that the edges of the production boards aren't rounded off, didn't you? :p
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ArborealSeer

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 pm

location 1 : after a quick set up of vnc, remote connection via the viao on my lap, so in the lounge hanging near the tv.. or in the garage hanging off a network hub

location 2 : in my yet to be built man lair/cave plugged into a monitor, probably just flapping around hanging off of its connectors for the most part flanked by my main desktop, and another laptop i use solely for recording guitar and tinkering with music on (and the viao i'm typing on now – my main email/itunes and blu-ray source for the man lair)

used to do :

- the c/c++ opengl dev project i'm looking forwards to doing

- xbmc of course

- emulation. i have a usb hid device that allows an arcade style controller i had on my original xbox (which would still run a build of the discontinued original xbmc if i plugged it in) also have one that works with a ps1 controller and another for xbox360 wireless ones.. many options! some mame, pc engine (i love r-type) and amiga for sure

- having a general tinker with the platform/s on various cards without fear of trashing the OS for good.. (i'll snag good clutch of cards)

- cool software the community produces

- make that hardware addons too – if someone starts selling a must thing have then i'm in

- if a cool case comes out from the community i'll get one.

i have a spare hub and some usb hdd's kicking about, and i have also purchased a few cheap ps2 to usb hid convertors as i dont have a USB keyboard kicking about and only a couple usb mice. ultimately i might connect the pi via a vnc especially if virtualgl works.

also synergy once i've got a direct vga solution to run it on my other monitor, or if i replace that one, or permanently steal a tv from the main house.

further pi's.. possibly one with a wifi usb dongle in upstairs to xbmc more will depend upon what uses i identify – if addons, new revisions or new uses appear its an excuse to buy more!
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

geeus

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:48 pm

1 somewere on my deak with my picaxe, arduino and lpc mcu"s
2 dust and paper and other rubbish that seems to build up there

(time to start spring cleaning)
Regards Gee
Gee The Rabid Inventor :)

jamesh

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 pm

liz said:

JamesH said:

a) Up my bottom

Been a long day.

You did remember that the edges of the production boards aren't rounded off, didn't you? :p

Perhaps the day hasn't been quite that long.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

n3tw0rk5

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:59 pm

I'm going to eat it of course!

obujordan

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:42 pm

(1)  I will try to find some case it fits in and cut holes for the ports.

(2)  I am hoping to use this as required material for my intro computing class for college freshmen.  They don't learn anything if you use Windows and they probably won't be able to boot their laptops into Linux after Windows 8.  We may also replace the ancient PPC Macs in the labs with them.

dh04000

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Step 1: Install NAS-running-minimal-OS on R-pi

Step 2: Hollow-out book

Step 3: Install R-pi and a usb-harddrive in book.

Step 4: Put book on my bookshelf

Step 5: Profit

max1zzz

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:13 am

Probably in a sweet little metal cube left from a 1987 Qisk hard drive (orig 45mb   )

vulmer

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 am

o19 said:

At the moment it"s just the big idea, we"ll see, where I can get with this. I know a bit about RC cars, a bit less about electronics, a bit more about vehicle dynamics and yet a bit more about computers.

I will start to think about a detailed concept, if I"ve made some experience, with the R-Pi and the Gert board. I hope it all will fit into a 1:10 car, as 1:5 are really expensive (for a student like me)…

Just an idea for you...  bluetooth dongle + wiimote = remote controls?

Now back on topic... Not sure what I'm going to put mine in but I am definitely going to keep it on myself at all times.  Never know when I might need to show off how awesome the thing is!

Retroman

Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:08 am

My first RasPi is going in an original Game Boy case with some sort of USB storage, Wifi and whatever else I can put in it and then it will sit on my desk for a while.

It's called a RasPiBoy :0)

I have it all ready:

axiomprime

Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:18 am

My first three are going in origami boxes stuck to the back of three TVs. Two of them have USB ports so I'm hoping to power them from there.

cnxsoft

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 am

I like my boards lying "naked" on my computer desk. So no casing for me...

cheery

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 pm

I also like my things lying naked on my computer desk!

But after that I usually consider to put some sort of clothes on. I've lots of ideas of use for my dear pi. Hopefully I'll see it soon so that we can have fun testing over and over again..

Return to “General discussion”