simplesi

Cost in pounds of RaspberryPi

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 pm

I was doing some math to see how much the Model A would retail at and was surprised that using £$ == 0.62p) I estimated that it would cost £15.44 + VAT which comes out to £18.53 which is nearly monthly pocket money price for me :)

And then I thought - hang on - the current $35 Model B costs £24.96 (£29.95 inc VAT) from CPC.

Am I missing something or has the £/$ exchange rate dramatically changed recently.

regards

Simon
PS Got no problem with whatever it ends up coming on the market just intrigued by discrepancy.
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

malakai

Re: Cost in pounds of RaspberryPi

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:45 pm

I was baffled as well I don't think the price point for US is based on conversion because it comes out to $48.50 for a Model B. I think they just took pity on the States considering our education here. Our Doctors are from India our Linux admins are from Europe my CEO and COO are from Canada we import everything even our executives. :mrgreen:
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

rpdom

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Does the £29.95 inc VAT price include p&p? The $25 price doesn't (AFAIK) also doesn't include any local taxes (like VAT) etc.

croston

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:54 pm

VAT @ 20.0% !

simplesi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:50 am

The RPI Model B price is set in $ at $35.

That is without taxes or p&p.

The price from CPC is the price you pay if you turn up at the shop so that is just £24.95 + 20% VAT which makes up the total price of £29.95

However if you take current exchange rate of 0.62p per $ then £35 translates to £21.52 not £24.95

So I'm thinking the exchange rate must have dropped quite considerably since the Model B was priced up in the UK.

Unless my maths is wrong

Simon

malakai

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:15 am

Perhaps they padded the price a bit for US for shipping and export. Unlike Uncle Bob, Sam get's his money the old fashioned way import taxes. To be honest I don't know how Bob got his money.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Unhban

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:21 am

rpdom wrote:Does the £29.95 inc VAT price include p&p? The $25 price doesn't (AFAIK) also doesn't include any local taxes (like VAT) etc.
CPC do free packing and free next day delivery on the Pi.... Order on-line before 7pm and it's through your letter box the next morning :o

So the £29.95 price is all in....

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/bespoke/besp ... Pi_lp2.jsp

Unh.

simplesi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:32 pm

Bit more maths.
If $35 == £24.96 then exchange rate would have been $1 == £0.71 which AFAIK it has not been at any time in 2012.

At stages - please understand that I am more than happy to pay £30 for a RPI B if thats the going rate if that lets RS/Farnell make a profit and the Foundation gets loads of dosh to promote/subsidise computing take up in schools :)

But I'd like to know if I've divided somewhere instead of multiplying or that the $35 == £24.96 was based on whatever Eben and Liz's local Post Office was offering the summer before last when they went to on a holiday to Florida :)

Simon
PS THe thing is as well - I thought I did the exchange rate maths back in May/June and it all worked out then!!

PPS And I freely acknowledge how lucky we are in UK to get it for £30 as it can easily cost double that by the time it ends up in the hands of the rest of the world! :(

Burngate

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:10 pm

All the maths here seems to be plausable.
My feeling is that if the Foundation or Farnell or ... * are making the profit then it's fine, but if the added extra goes into the pocket of some wicked Banker then it's not.

*The government taking its fair share also seems reasonable, in that it means my grandchildren won't be quite so much in debt.

stubright

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Remember, there is no such thing as free shipping.
$35 = £21.57.
RS sells Raspberry Pis for £21.60 ex VAT & delivery
CPC sell them for £24.96 ex VAT but including 'free shipping'.

So if you're buying more than one Pi then you'd save money on the 'free shipping' by getting them from RS.

Ten Pis from CPC = £287.76 inc VAT & free shipping
Ten Pis from RS = £264.15 inc VAT & shipping

Stu

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:43 pm

stubright wrote:Remember, there is no such thing as free shipping.
$35 = £21.57.

So if you're buying more than one Pi then you'd save money on the 'free shipping' by getting them from RS.

Ten Pis from CPC = £287.76 inc VAT & free shipping
Ten Pis from RS = £264.15 inc VAT & shipping

Stu
What he said!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

simplesi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:52 pm

OMGoodness !!!!

I never thought to compare CPC with RS as I thought all UK suppliers HAD to sell for the same price so I just didn't compare them.

I genuinely thought that CPCs "Free" shipping was a genuine bonus - fool :lol:

Rule 1 - nothings free in life :)

So the Model A is prob going to cost £15.40 + 20%VAT = £18.48 from RS or Farnell but with addtional P&P.

And pricing in CPCs "free" delivery - I'd estimate that it'll cost a total of about £21.88 to get one from them.

At least it wasn't my maths - just my gullibility :)

Simon

Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:11 pm

no one considered that CPC have to mark up the price in order for them to make a profit?

simplesi

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:01 pm

no one considered that CPC have to mark up the price in order for them to make a profit?
Its not that (all prices from now ignoring VAT)

Either Rs/Farnell inc CPC ARE making a profit from the RPi or they are not and were persuaded to do as loss leader to boost other sales - obviuklsy that sort of info in commercially sensitive and I don't know (or care) what the arrangement is - hopefully foundation/rs/farnell are both happy :)

I just hadn't realised that CPCs price included "Free" delivery when it patently doesn't - since the retail ModB price is set by Foundation at $35 - CPC should have been selling it at whatever $35 in pounds translates to (e.g £21.60 at the moment).

They instead sold them at £24.95 and said it included free shipping. Now, I'm not going to take them to task for this since I buy lots of stuff off ebay that includes free shipping.

I know that unless someone puts one in their pocket and pops it through your letter box cause they live on your street - there is no way on earth to ship something for free cost :)

So I just accept the "free" shipping as part of the total cost of the product. In CPCs case, I hadn't cross-checked their actual product price compared to RS/Farnell.

I'm just slightly peeved that it caused me to scratch my head for 2 days checking on exchange rates :)

Simon

permaband

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:49 am

I'd by em at £50 a pop tbh. Because. :geek:

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 am

Anyone who still hasn't been disabused of the fallacy of a free lunch needs to study thermodynamics. The Zeroth, First, and Second Laws state that there is a finite supply of lunch, you can't get more lunch than is available even under ideal theoretical circumstances, and you can't even get as much lunch as is available in practice due to overall chaos/entropy always increasing in any lunch-acquisition effort, respectively.

If you're suffering from imported executives, you just need to execute the importers who are obviously profiting from that arrangement at great emotional expense to everyone else ;)

It could be worse ... you could be in Greece ... or Spain ... or many other places even much worse off in the Third World, and in dictatorships, where even a Pi Model A is an unaffordable luxury :(
Seen from space, nearly-dark North Korea above well-lit South Korea,
whose per capita GDP has grown from parity to 20 times as large since 1972
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”