Lynbarn

Re: What do the status indicator LEDs indicate the status of?

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:21 pm

According to the published board graphic I've seen, there are five Status LEDs shown .

For the production boards, what colour are these, what do they indicate, and in what order on the board?

jojopi

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:47 pm

They are silkscreened on the board, from inside to out: OK, PWR, FDX, LNK, 10M [sic].

The last three are connected to the LAN9512 (so they will only be present on the Model B) and represent: full duplex, link (blinking off for activity), and 100Mbit/s.  According to the datasheet the pins can also be programmed as GPIO, so these three LEDs could potentially be under software control, but I have not checked if the Linux drivers support this.

I think there was a video of a beta board that showed a green LED.  So I would guess they are all green, to minimize BOM and production costs.

nullstring

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 pm

jojopi said:

They are silkscreened on the board, from inside to out: OK, PWR, FDX, LNK, 10M [sic].

The last three are connected to the LAN9512 (so they will only be present on the Model B) and represent: full duplex, link (blinking off for activity), and 100Mbit/s.  According to the datasheet the pins can also be programmed as GPIO, so these three LEDs could potentially be under software control, but I have not checked if the Linux drivers support this.

I think there was a video of a beta board that showed a green LED.  So I would guess they are all green, to minimize BOM and production costs.

Whats this datasheet you speak of?

jojopi

Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:25 am

nullstring said:

Whats this datasheet you speak of?

The one for the SMSC LAN9512 USB Hub and Ethernet Controller.

http://www.smsc.com/media/Down.....s/9512.pdf

Chromatix

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:58 pm

That leaves the OK and PWR lights.  PWR is pretty obvious (but is it still programmable?), but what does the OK light represent?  Could the OK light be redesignated to show SD card activity, to remind users not to power it down while the card is being written to?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Gert van Loo

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 pm

OK (D5) is connected to GPIO16 so depends on what is programmed. On the Alpha boards it was used to indicate SD-card access. I would assume that has not changed.

PWR OK (D6) is connected to 3V3.

jojopi

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:54 pm

Evidently I saw or remembered that wrong. PWR at least is red on beta. Hard to judge if the LAN LEDs are nominally green or yellow.

http://twitpic.com/8edlsf

meltwater

Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Ok updated the wiki:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Hardware.....Components

My best guess is that the OK LED is yellow (or failing that green, maybe blue or perhaps red...).

So does the 10M LED show that it's not 10Mbit or is it 10/100Mbit, since most appear to have it lit, or is it dual state/colour?

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Chromatix

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 pm

I would assume that, in common with most Ethernet cards, lit up means high speed.  But it could be dual-colour in principle.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

error404

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 pm

meltwater said:

So does the 10M LED show that it's not 10Mbit or is it 10/100Mbit, since most appear to have it lit, or is it dual state/colour?

The datasheet says that it is open-drain and driven low when operating at 100Mbps. Unless the foundation have wasted space and components to convert it to a driven high-level output, the LED is on when linked at 100Mbps.

meltwater

Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:42 am

Chromatix said:

I would assume that, in common with most Ethernet cards, lit up means high speed.  But it could be dual-colour in principle.

error404 said:

The datasheet says that it is open-drain and driven low when operating at 100Mbps. Unless the foundation have wasted space and components to convert it to a driven high-level output, the LED is on when linked at 100Mbps.

That was my guess too, some cards do dual-colour too (usually for Gbit), I'll assume they kept it simple (pointless adding extras for no reason) and the 10M label should really be "100", no biggie as I doubt most would even notice if it was there or not.  I would also guess they are not populated for model A.

If there are any changes then we can update in the wiki.  Thanks for working out the info.

I'll also add something about the Auto-MDIX on the LAN so you don't need crossover cables.

(I'm hoping this will mean a nice easy way to connect to a laptop and vnc directly - even if it is through a usb-lan dongle on the laptop).

mccp

Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:13 am

Gert said:

PWR OK (D6) is connected to 3V3.

Good. The system I'm working on right now has all LEDs controlled via GPIO, its much better to have a PWR LED connected directly to the power supply so you can see if you have power just by looking.

colnelb

Re: What do the status indicator LEDs indicate the status of

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Is there anywhere that I can get a "data sheet" or board specifications for the model B board that I received. I got almost no documentation with the board. I purchased a book, "Raspberry Pi User Guide" in the hopes that I could get some technical information on the board. So far I have gotten very little in the way of consolidated information on such things as the status LEDs, etc. Can you direct me to some place where I can get the technical specifications and/or data sheet for my board?

meltwater

Re: What do the status indicator LEDs indicate the status of

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:14 am

colnelb wrote:Is there anywhere that I can get a "data sheet" or board specifications for the model B board that I received. I got almost no documentation with the board. I purchased a book, "Raspberry Pi User Guide" in the hopes that I could get some technical information on the board. So far I have gotten very little in the way of consolidated information on such things as the status LEDs, etc. Can you direct me to some place where I can get the technical specifications and/or data sheet for my board?
There are several spec sheets located in the wiki (http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub) particular sections of interest to you will be the "Docmementation" and the "Hardware" sections).

Return to “General discussion”