hyena

Re: Wipro boss Azim Premji to train UK students in Bangalore

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:23 pm

... a sad indictment of uk IT !  ...

Mr Premji, the chairman of Wipro and India's third richest man, has offered to   take third-year students from British universities to the company's   headquarters in Bangalore for three months' intensive study and nine months on-the-job   training with a view to returning them fit for work in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fin.....alore.html

Dapa

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:27 pm

I don't think it's that worrying, to be honest.

I know people who work in UK safari parks who regularly take a jobs in a safari parks in Africa, etc for 6-8 months to get a change of scenery.

Working for a while in Bangalore would likely make someone much more open minded and adaptable. I'd see it as a very positive entry on a CV.

Jock in a Frock

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:26 pm

I've been to the Wipro campus in Electronics City, Bangalore. It's really impressive and I think it would be a great place to study. The facilities are excellent, and there's a massive investment in learning there (it's an outsourcing hub, but it feels like a university).

My company has outsourced a lot of functions to Wipro in Banglalore, and my visit was to speak to their people and make sure our working functions were aligned. The staff there were very skilled, and the only real problem we have is the ongoing language barrier. Apart from that, the off-shoring has worked (from a process point of view).

I understand that the cost of labour in India is spiralling, as the skilled Indian workforce are now demanding more in salary & conditions etc. That's why more companies are now looking to China (in the same way they looked to India ten years ago).

I don't like the off-shoring of work to India, but unless the U.K. can provide these services at a reasonable cost, it's always going to be a reality in British industry.

So this further re-inforces the good work of the Foundation, try to keep these skills on-shore, for the benefit of the U.K. economy.

JonB

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm

Amen to that!

My encounters with offshore programming resources haven't been great. They seem to have the technical knowledge but no idea of "best practice", which comes only with experience. I think half the time the outsourcing companies are placing grads but providing zero mentoring. Plus, the programmers are not used to using their own initiative, usually working on maintenance and told to only fix the bugs. Lots of them have different programming styles and after a few years of that your source code looks like a bombsite. For example, I once came across a single source file (C++) that comprised of 17,000 lines of code. It had been maintained by a team in Bangalore for five or more years.

However... YMMV...

hyena

Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:44 pm

I think this is a little more fundamental (and long term) than that ... its whats defining for the long term the  head and the hands .. head being the HQ in india and hands being the UK.

The head makes the dollars the hands the cents.

Dapa

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm based in the UK and regularly work with a contract developer in The Philippines - he is very good at what he does and we both add value to a project - I gather client requirements, project manage and design / implement the UI. I wouldn't be able to do development projects at this level if I had to use contractors or full time staff in the UK, as the cost / risk would be too great. He also relies on someone like me to solicit new work from the west, of good quality.

As the business grows, I'm looking to recruit new roles in the UK (both skilled and unskilled) and turn this in to a solid business. It would be incredibly difficult to grow a business like this without external investment, so pretty much everyone wins; perhaps apart from the finance industry, who in the dotcom boom were the first port of call for growing tech companies.

I was watching an interview the other day - it might have been related to Rasp PI, I'm not sure. This guy was saying it more than possible to work in the tech industry, in the UK and be competitive with elsewhere in the world. A similar role in the US would be more expensive, at 1.5x the average UK pay. While the same role would pay somewhat less in somewhere like India, the gap is closing all the time and while the general quality of candidates in India is good, it's said that they can often lack initiative and approach to problem solving. Basically, creativity is very high in the UK, possibly because there's quite a number of eccentrics, either through nature or nurture - and I'd certainly put myself in this category

Return to “General discussion”