Jessie

Re: A faster CPU

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:18 pm

If all people want is a faster CPU then there are A10 based items on Alibaba for around $40 that come with all the cables and built in wifi. Their community isn't as developed as this one, the GPU core is slower and the drivers aren't as good, and there is no GPIO if you care about that. You do get a faster CPU and all of them come with Android preloaded. Search the net for mk802.

Later more costly models have dual core rocketchips in them.

So if all you want is more CPU there are options at the same price point.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:42 pm

If you do need both more CPU power and GPIO then you might also want to consider the A13 olinuxino

Thicko_1970

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 am

I'm no programmer, but I can get my head round the idea of less being more. When I was a kid, my bedroom was a 5'10" x 6' space. I crammed a lot in there. A bigger room would be nice, but you end up cramming more junk in and running around trying to find it all.

I like the small house movement. I think of the Pi as a computer version of that concept. Simple and small, but with big potential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_house_movement

Lob0426

Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:33 am

Thicko_1970 wrote:I'm no programmer, but I can get my head round the idea of less being more. When I was a kid, my bedroom was a 5'10" x 6' space. I crammed a lot in there. A bigger room would be nice, but you end up cramming more junk in and running around trying to find it all.

I like the small house movement. I think of the Pi as a computer version of that concept. Simple and small, but with big potential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_house_movement
Get the Tumbleweed Tiny house book. Many interesting things in there including his philosophy of why we need such large houses and the economics of them. Kind of follows your post.

As to whether a car is a computer or a car? I do know the 2004 Corvette has computers all over it.

The power of any particular computing device is not easily comparable to any other. It is a matter of design parameters. There is everything from smart phones to full blown gaming computers out there. Each has its use and none of them can do it all! The Raspberry Pi easily fits into its design parameters, a programming tool (and a lot more). It will not play Black Ops 2. But my computer that will play it will definitely not fit into my pocket.

There are other options coming out, choose what you need. Maybe a Panda Board will do what you want, or a Beagle Board, or a cubieboard.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

nathansuchy

Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:30 am

Ok so are you saying the Pi cannot have a faster ARM processer / how do you accelerate x with gpu?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:44 am

nathansuchy wrote:Ok so are you saying the Pi cannot have a faster ARM processer / how do you accelerate x with gpu?
Same way you accelerate computation by using floating point hardware: You *use* the available hardware instead of doing the same work more slowly in software.

RTD1

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:07 pm

Honestly, a faster CPU is pretty close to the bottom of things I'd like to see in the next release.

How about:

1) Built in WiFi
2) A third USB port

As it stands now, the RPi is virtually useless without a USB hub. Connect a keyboard and mouse and you're out of connections and forced to use Ethernet since there's no room for a wireless dongle.

Even just adding #1 or #2 by itself isn't much of an improvement because in either case you're still out of ports immediately (either by default or because you used the third port for Wifi). You need both of the above.

This is going to become an even bigger issue if they ever get around to actually releasing the $25 video camera.

A nice to have would be an onboard ADC converter and a handful of dedicated analog pins, but that's nowhere near as important as #1 and #2.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:04 pm

RTD1 wrote: This is going to become an even bigger issue if they ever get around to actually releasing the $25 video camera.
Apart from the rudeness of saying 'ever get around to actually releasing' which I find quite insulting (and just shows ignorance on the part of the person saying it), what has the camera got to do with USB ports? It's a CSi-2 device that plugs in to the dedicated CSI-2 connector.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

RTD1

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:22 pm

jamesh wrote:
RTD1 wrote: This is going to become an even bigger issue if they ever get around to actually releasing the $25 video camera.
Apart from the rudeness of saying 'ever get around to actually releasing' which I find quite insulting (and just shows ignorance on the part of the person saying it), what has the camera got to do with USB ports? It's a CSi-2 device that plugs in to the dedicated CSI-2 connector.
1) I wasn't trying to insult anyone, sorry if it came off that way.

2) I assumed, incorrectly it seems, that the camera was USB.

PaulCheffus

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:11 pm

RTD1 wrote: As it stands now, the RPi is virtually useless without a USB hub. Connect a keyboard and mouse and you're out of connections and forced to use Ethernet since there's no room for a wireless dongle.
Hi

Not true, I have keyboard, mouse and wifi on mine with only two USB ports and no hub. Logitech do a unifying receiver which allows the keyboard and mouse to share the same USB port.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Jessie

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm

PaulCheffus wrote:
RTD1 wrote: As it stands now, the RPi is virtually useless without a USB hub. Connect a keyboard and mouse and you're out of connections and forced to use Ethernet since there's no room for a wireless dongle.
Hi

Not true, I have keyboard, mouse and wifi on mine with only two USB ports and no hub. Logitech do a unifying receiver which allows the keyboard and mouse to share the same USB port.

Cheers

Paul
Same here. I rarely ever have something plugged into both ports since I use Ethernet whenever possible.

WeUsePis

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:56 pm

RTD1 wrote:Honestly, a faster CPU is pretty close to the bottom of things I'd like to see in the next release.
How about:
1) Built in WiFi
2) A third USB port
As it stands now, the RPi is virtually useless without a USB hub. Connect a keyboard and mouse and you're out of connections and forced to use Ethernet since there's no room for a wireless dongle.
Wrong! As others pointed out, Logitech has the unified receiver (I use the MK260 combo without issues), so that leaves one more port.
You also seem to miss the purpose of the Pi: create an inexpensive computer that can be used in education to teach young people programming. Adding WiFi and a truckload of USB ports only makes that puppy more expensive and adds zero value to the goal of providing an inexpensive platform for computer education. There are reasons why some things are not available on the Pi, all of those were discussed multiple times and one of the main reasons is keeping costs down.
If you want a compact board with WiFi and more ports you need to look at something like the ZOTAC IONITX-N-E. That costs already 100 US Dollars and has no memory. The power supply for that will also cost more than a 5V USB power supply. As far as drives go, you could hook up a USB card reader to the board and use the inexpensive SD cards, but since that board has SATA it would be dumb not to make use of that. Everything else is the same in regards to cost (except that the ITX board has no GPIO), still need keyboard, mouse, and a monitor of some sorts. And then you end up at a total price that is at least three times of what you'd need to shell out for a Pi.
The Pi costs as much as a case of beer and a pizza and yet people still complain about it? I don't get it.
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/

Sleep Mode zZ

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:15 am

PaulCheffus wrote: Not true, I have keyboard, mouse and wifi on mine with only two USB ports and no hub. Logitech do a unifying receiver which allows the keyboard and mouse to share the same USB port.
WeUsePis wrote: Wrong! As others pointed out, Logitech has the unified receiver (I use the MK260 combo without issues), so that leaves one more port.
Though ubiquitous, Logitech is still only one manufacturer and its Unifying receiver will work only with some products. There is sigificantly less unused Logitech Unifying keyboards waiting in people's closets than other USB keyboards. The existence of proprietary Unifying technology is a very limited counterargument to RTD1's complaint about the number of USB ports being a limiting factor with the Pi.

As a personal note, I have a logitech K400 but my fingers and wrist don't like trackpads. On my PC I use a trackball (Logitech Marble Mouse) that is much more comfortable. To my knowledge, there is nothing that is similar and Unifying compatible on the market. I also would like have a gamepad plugged in - is there a Unifying compatible gamepad? It would also be nice to have one port free for USB flash drives.

I'm not saying that the Pi should have more USB ports but RTD1's points are valid for many.

Maine_guy

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:53 am

I run most of my Pis headless. A wi-fi dongle is cheap and the micro ones like the Realtek 8188CUS are tiny. SSH and VNC give you all the connectivity you need with only the power cord connected to the Pi. If you need hdmi video then use x2x from any other computer (even another Pi). There are plenty of uses for the Pi. Stop saying it's useless.

shuckle

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:36 am

I also run most of the time headless. I feel a bit sad though that I can not really utilize the fast GPU. Basic browser usage can't utlize GPU power.
For small own programs and scripyts the CPU power is quite ok, but as soon as trying to use the screen (with browser) the CPU gets slow.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:50 am

RTD1 wrote:Honestly, a faster CPU is pretty close to the bottom of things I'd like to see in the next release.

How about:

1) Built in WiFi
2) A third USB port

Others have pointed out flaws in that argument, but no one so far is mentioned another one...you can get wireless adapters to connect through the RJ-45 Ethernet jack. Granted, you'll have to add another power block if the Pis USB ports are in use, but you *can* have wired keyboard, mouse/trackball, and wireless all at the same time without using a hub.

If it comes to that, you can also get a USB-to-dual-PS/2 adapter that will work with the Pi and use that to connect mouse and keyboard to only one USB port.

(I use mine with a wired connection anyway...so I'm good even when not running headless.)

jamesh

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 am

shuckle wrote:I also run most of the time headless. I feel a bit sad though that I can not really utilize the fast GPU. Basic browser usage can't utlize GPU power.
For small own programs and scripyts the CPU power is quite ok, but as soon as trying to use the screen (with browser) the CPU gets slow.
The testing of faster drivers is going on at the moment. The main problem appears to be badly written HTML renderers which are so ineffective it's almost impossible to accelerate them (on any platform). For example, some renderers send a large number (1000's) of render command FOR JUST ONE PIXEL AT A TIME. This cannot be accelerated - the overheads of sending a pixel to the GPU vastly outweigh any speed benefits. So the driver needs to determine how big a chunk of rendering needs doing, and will either do it on the Arm (for smaller chunks), or send it to the GPU for larger chunks. That's a pretty simplistic description, but should give some idea of the problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”