Roalush

Request: RK3066 Soc

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:26 pm

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 18432.html

If this is sold for 45$ including shipping, and not like the raspberry pi, has wifi, 8 GB of storage, USB cable, power adapter and HDMI cable, surely you can fit this more powerful SOC in the raspberry pi price range.

I think this is a must, this having a dual core processor quad core graphics and double the RAM. This may even be done in the model A 25$ price range.

ghans

Re: Request: RK3066 Soc

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:36 pm

So your request is to break the price point of the foundation
offer (35 $ , schools can get tax rebate !), and even drop their
custom hardware design ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

malakai

Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:50 pm

That chip is not exactly open source first you have to keep in mind the foundation is not entirely a hardware manufacturer they have roots in it but it is not the end goal. Chips like this exist so yes they can be purchased cheaply however they come with a price if you want more development done you either try and hack your way in which is slow and consumes a lot of resources or you pay the chip manufacturer to develop it for you which comes at a higher price.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Roalush wrote:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 18432.html

If this is sold for 45$ including shipping, and not like the raspberry pi, has wifi, 8 GB of storage, USB cable, power adapter and HDMI cable, surely you can fit this more powerful SOC in the raspberry pi price range.

I think this is a must, this having a dual core processor quad core graphics and double the RAM. This may even be done in the model A 25$ price range.
You need to factor in the cost of support, as mentioned, cost of development, and whether the chip is actually any good. And the GPU on the Raspi has way more than 4 cores....!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

Roalush

Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:56 am

That being so, seeing products like this sold in that price makes me hope we will see similar CPU power on the Raspberry Pi in the future.

This kind of power will enable to finally run a descent web browser.

gritz

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 am

As someone who can remember 486 laptops costing a king's ransom...

A Pi won't break the bank (and isn't likely to morph into a quadcore whatever anytime soon, 'cos that isn't it's raison d'etre). I'd suggest spending the money that's left over on some hardware with the desired spec. A turbocharged Raspberry with go-faster stripes would be nice (mainly because of the knowledge base that accompanies the product), but numerous similar threads on the matter suggest pretty strongly that it's not going to happen any time soon. TBH Arm has seen enough hardware fragmentation already imo!

A resourceful person could probably obtain (quite legitimately!) an old x86 computer capable of web browsing for free, or for next-to-nothing.

Return to “General discussion”