Alexander5

Putty Alternative For Mac User

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 am

I'm using Mac system and now i'm looking the alternative Putty software and detailed review on different software. Here i came to get to know the best list of alternative Putty software for mac.

jasonclark

Re: Putty Alternative For Mac User

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:22 pm

When I had a Mac, I just started a terminal session and typed ssh hostname.

But it looks like Putty has been ported and this page appears to tell you all you need (native SSH or using Putty for Mac)

https://www.ssh.com/ssh/putty/mac

It also mentioned Cyberduck, I'm not sure it that helps as it looks to be a file transfer tool (SFTP/S3 etc)

I sold my Mac (we've an old one floating about in the house, but it's not used)

LTolledo

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:34 pm

on the Mac I also used ssh, like the one below

Code: Select all

ssh pi@192.168.211.251
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

wolf.z

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Well, let me put it that way: Putty is an app for doing genuine **nix stuff on a Windows OS. So why not try the onboard MacOS terminal?

In any case of need for more, try this: https://thegeekpage.com/putty-alternative-for-mac-os/

dickon

Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 pm

Not really. Putty is a Windows app to connect to a Unix box to do useful work. It doesn't allow you to do useful Unix stuff on Windows.

But yes: use Terminal.app and ssh or mosh (via 'brew install' after installing Homebrew) and be done with it. You don't need Putty.

Milliways

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:49 am

They don't allow programs as bad as Putty on a Mac.

I normally use

Code: Select all

ssh
in the macOS terminal to access my Pi

To use other protocols there are a number of free FTP GUI clients for the Mac (and other 'NIX OS) I use FileZilla (on both Pi and Mac)

GlowInTheDark

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:57 am

Let's be fair. The point of PuTTY is that it is a GUI app. Lots of people that use Mac or Windows are command-line-phobic; they often don't even know that the command line exists. So, they want a GUI app for everything. PuTTY fills that niche in Windows.

Now, I do realize the slight incongruity here - which is that you use PuTTY to get to a command line on your Unix (in this case, Linux on the RPi) box, but people accept that. They can accept that there is a command line on Unix, but they don't like to admit it in the context of Mac or Windows.

Note that there is a version of PuTTY for Linux (you can apt-get it on your Pi). I looked at it once; it was reasonable, but of course, I was perfectly comfortable with command line ssh, so I didn't bother with it much. Therefore, it would not surprise me to find that there is a PuTTY for Mac. But I have no actual knowledge one way or the other about it.

In any case, it is not unreasonable to want a GUI ssh client on the Mac.
GitD's list of things that are not ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

BeauSlim

Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:35 am

iTerm2. I have used a pile of different terminals on Windows, Linux and Mac and have *never* used anything even close. split panes, tmux control mode, trackpad support, bonjour discovery, scrpting, vi copy, paste history, custom everything. And it's free.

GlowInTheDark

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:06 pm

I've used iTerm2 - and it is indeed awesome - it seems to be the Walmart of computer programs. Its motto is "If you want a functionality, we've already implemented it. If we haven't implemented it, you don't need it."

But is it really an SSH client? Isn't it just a (very nice) replacement for Apple Terminal?
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

geektechstuff.com

Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:30 pm

Alexander5 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:57 am
I'm using Mac system and now i'm looking the alternative Putty software and detailed review on different software. Here i came to get to know the best list of alternative Putty software for mac.
I echo the use of Terminal on Mac. Is there a reason you are going towards PuTTY type software other than it being GUI driven?
www.geektechstuff.com

BeauSlim

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 am

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:06 pm
But is it really an SSH client? Isn't it just a (very nice) replacement for Apple Terminal?
I guess that depends on how you define "SSH client" from a user perspective. On Windows, in the old days, SSH wasn't built-in, and clients like Putty had to implement their own ssh layer. On OSes that come out-of-the box with ssh (ie macOS, Linux, OpenBSD and FreeBSD), client software that re-implements the ssh layer is rightly viewed with suspicion, and software that is simply "ssh aware" is more common.

So, my answer is "yes", because iTerm2 is very ssh-aware. It automatically lists (under Profiles) ssh hosts on your local network if they are running avahi/bonjour and sshd, and will even connect to all of them at once with a single click. It will optionally report and graph bandwidth used over an individual ssh connection. It has a built-in file upload and download via scp. And, of course, iTerm2's multi-window tmux integration, session recovery, and password management are mostly intended for use over ssh.

Having said all that, it does not manage ssh keys. I think that's a good thing for cross-app keys and keychain integration, but some might feel that makes iTerm2 "not an ssh client".

GlowInTheDark

Iterm2: Is it a Putty Alternative For Mac Users?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:59 am

So, my answer is "yes", because iTerm2 is very ssh-aware...
To be honest, I never do that much with iTerm2. I've got it running, but I've never had the real need to dig deep into its features, since the default Apple Terminal works well enough for the work that I do. I get the impression you could spend months figuring out all the things it can do. It doesn't seem (at least to me) to be very well documented; it's kind of like playing an adventure game (*) to figure out what it can do.

So, you may be right - it may qualify as a "GUI ssh client".

(*) Aka, interactive fiction.
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3
4) Bluetooth

Return to “General discussion”