soydepr

fat32 sd card

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:43 pm

try8ng to format a sd card as fat32 but. don't dont see the option in sdformatter , same with a usb

rjbook51

Re: fat32 sd card

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:03 pm

At a guess, you are trying to do this on a Windows machine with an SD card larger than 32gig. Windows/microsoft in its infinite wisdom does not allow this.

So, if you have a linux machine use gparted or gnome disk utilities.
Or download the gparted live CD, create it on a CD or USB card (with BalenaEtcher or Rufus), boot from this and then use gparted.

Use your run command and use fdisk (you can look up the commands to format the sd card for fat32...make sure you format the right drive, lol)

Or you can download the free Aomei Partition Assistant and use that.

If you are trying to install Raspian on and sd card, don't even bother with all the above. Just use BalenaEtcher and let it handle the formatting after you download the Raspian image. You only have to worry about formatting the card if you are trying to install Noobs. Thats pretty much the simplest.

Hope this helps.

(There have to be hundreds of different ways to do this :)
I don't know what the hell I am doing, but when I do it, I do it well!

drgeoff

Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:39 pm

soydepr wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:43 pm
try8ng to format a sd card as fat32 but. don't dont see the option in sdformatter , same with a usb
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... matting.md

wh7qq

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am

Was I under the wrong impression? I thought Balena-Etcher formatted the card...no need for sdformatter. Actually, it was my only reason for keeping XP Pro :D All the cards I buy (SanDisk Ultra) come formatted with W$32 already.

dustnbone

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:25 am

wh7qq wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 am
Was I under the wrong impression? I thought Balena-Etcher formatted the card...no need for sdformatter.
No you're right, when an image is written to a raw device like Etcher does, the image contains a partition table and all the data inside the partitions, including the appropriate file systems.

The previous state of the device to be written to doesn't matter at all, any existing filesystems will be overwritten.

wh7qq

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:55 am

dustnbone wrote: No you're right, when an image is written to a raw device like Etcher does, the image contains a partition table and all the data inside the partitions, including the appropriate file systems.

The previous state of the device to be written to doesn't matter at all, any existing filesystems will be overwritten.
That is what I thought. As it is, I use B-E for zip files or the Linux Mint "Disk Image Writer" for image files. The Mint utility doesn't unzip files but is equally good at writing to the SD or USB memories. I frequently check the SD memories with "f2read/write" but have had no failures with the disks I usually buy. If you buy bargain SD cards, you may get what you pay for...

Return to “General discussion”