Jawloms

Re: How programmeable is it?

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 am

One of the things I'd like to do with a Pi is make an Internet radio for my wife. The reason I'm asking how programmeable it is is that I don't want her to have to boot it in to Linux with a screen, keyboard and mouse attached, start the radio application, and choose her channel before she can listen to anything. I'd like her to be able to turn it on and then just wait (even if it's five minutes or whatever!) while it boots, starts the radio and connects to her favourite station. It would be nice to give her a button to press which just goes to the next station too, but I can work on that.

Thank you

Stuart

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 am

it's a computer - you can make it do what ever you need,

even auto starting things is fine - and attaching a small keypad - no worries

making those button so things on a radio - easy [YMMV]

you dont even need a screen
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

ghans

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:48 am

As a computer , the R-Pi should be considered to be progrmmable

to any extent you wish.

You could use ARM Assembly and replace Linux and the bootloader to accomplish your task.

You are only dependant on the GPU binary afaik.

But I would say learning Linux scripting would be FAR easier.

You could make your own buttons and connect them to GPIO , and with phyton you could react to user input.(change station etc.)

Endless possibilities !

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:58 am

To avoid having to build anything, you could mount one of these on it.

Gert van Loo

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:23 am

Reminds me of the set-up I made for a very computer illeterate person. It had an menu.bat which was called at start up. It cleared the screen and then displayed a menu like:

1: ....

2: ....

Press number followed by enter.

Then I had a 1.bat, 2.bat, 3.bat etc. Each ran the specific command and then ran menu.bat again. I had to show them the "enter" key and that was it, they were off.

bredman

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 am

An excellent simple project.

To have a user program start automatically, the recommended method is to add its launch command to the file

/etc/local.rc

(This example is from Debian, may differ slightly for other Linux flavours)

For graphical applications, just add them to the desktop auto-launch list, slightly different for each desktop type.

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am

Gert said:

Reminds me of the set-up I made for a very computer illeterate person. It had an menu.bat which was called at start up. It cleared the screen and then displayed a menu like:

Then I had a 1.bat, 2.bat, 3.bat etc. Each ran the specific command and then ran menu.bat again. I had to show them the "enter" key and that was it, they were off.

DOS batch files. That really takes me back. I used to have hours of fun with those.

Wooloomooloo

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Gert said:

DOS batch files. That really takes me back. I used to have hours of fun with those.

Oooh! Oooh! Does anybody remember the configurable "User Menu" in Norton Commander (or was it VC?)...?

fdufnews

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Perhaps you can look here:

http://mightyohm.com/blog/2008.....troduction

Not to take as is, but many ideas to copy or adapt to the Pi

pgix

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi,

Just found R-pi and love the concept. Had to register for forums when I saw this!

Grumpyoldgit said:

Oooh! Oooh! Does anybody remember the configurable "User Menu" in Norton Commander (or was it VC?)...?

It was Norton Commander - a program called Batch Enhancer (be.exe) meant that you could separate batch menu logic from display and do things like draw coloured backgrounds for your batch menu. Brings back some memories!

Cheers,

Adam

Return to “General discussion”