kealan

Cluster

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:47 pm

Hello there, I have a Raspberry pi 3 and a 4 and was wondering if it would make sense to create a cluster with the two for normal everyday usage or would that just be pointless?
Thanks
Kealan

fruitoftheloom

Re: Cluster

Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:56 pm

kealan wrote:
Hello there, I have a Raspberry pi 3 and a 4 and was wondering if it would make sense to create a cluster with the two for normal everyday usage or would that just be pointless?
Thanks
Kealan

I am sure if you had a Laptop and PC you would not envisage linking them to make a better computing experience, the Raspberry Pi SBC is a computer in its own right.

Though "theoretically" if whatever software you are running can take advantage of distributed computing, you could create a 'cluster'

https://www.pidramble.com/
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

thagrol

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:01 pm

This has been asked many, many times.

To save you some searching, though please search the forum if you want more detail, the short is is no. Two quad core computers with their own RAM and storage do not make one 8 core computer.

With the proper setup you can run programs on computer A and display and interact with them on computer B but this is not the same as a cluster.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

ejolson

Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:56 pm

kealan wrote:
Thanks
Kealan
Many of the computers I use are networked so my home directory is mounted over NFS and the same no matter which computer I log into. For the everyday computing I do, this kind of clustering can be quite convenient.

The main difficulty with such a setup is that some programs, notably web browsers and image editors, create cache files in the user's home directory. Obviously, these files belong on a local drive, for example in /tmp. As there are work arounds to get the cache files stored on a local drive rather than the network-mounted home, the developers of these programs weren't quite so short sighted as it seems.

Return to “General discussion”