Chris D

RPI4 - OMX Player - No Audio -- Audio works with VLC media player

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:23 pm

Good afternoon all,

I have a new RPI4, I have just installed and updated the latest version of the OS etc. I am migrating my program from an RPI3 to the RPI 4 and one of the issues I am having is getting audio output using OMXPlayer. All the video and audio works great with VLC player so that verifies the media, connectors, cables, speakers, and HDMI monitor are all working.

The software worked fine as well on the old RPI3. I also tried running OMXplayer from the command line using some of the options such as
-o both
-o local
etc.

My searches have shown other problems with OMXplayer on the RPI4, but nothing close to the problem I have.

Looking for help, thanks!

Chris D

RossDv8

Re: RPI4 - OMX Player - No Audio -- Audio works with VLC media player

Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:45 am

Chris, I've just checked omxplayerGUI on my Pi 4 and it is playing an .m4a audio file fine (I don't have any .mp3 files on this SSD, but it was also playing them last time I checked).

On the bottom right corner of the omxplayerGUI window is a slider. It doesan;t have a name, and usually the control button appears to be almost all the way to the right (but the number above it is usually '0'.
Try grabbing that and sliding it a little further to the right. It doesn;t go very far, but it makes a huge difference if you have any audio happening at all. That 'might' solve the problem. It seems to work like the 'decibel gain' function in ALSA Mixer.

If that slider does nothign to help, it is possible you might have one of the omxplayerGUI settings changed.
Have you read the manua?
You already have a copy of it, but most people never bother to read it because it is 48 pages of how to get the best out of the program - and they find that a bit boring. And no, I'm not being sarcastic. As a tech I have been sorting problems for people who didn't get around to opening a manual for years. In fact I'm still doing it with things like friends' washing machines. And worst of all, I'm guilty of it myself :oops:

However Guenter went to a lot of trouble to try to cover as much information as possible in that manual. Including pictures. You might find the answer in there.
Also,if you open the 'kwebhelper and omxplayerGUI settings', a little over half way down the page, there's a spot where omxplayer can be told toi use VLC to play Audio for example. That is just one of a number of settings that can be changed in omxplayerGUI.

Anyway, it might be useful to have a look through the omxplayerGUI section of the settings page, and to check them against info in the manual. If the sound is working in VLC, it should be working in omxplayerGUI.
If it is not working in omxplayerGUI, I would suspect one of those settings.

I'm assuming you are not running headless.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Chris D

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi Ross,

That all checks out good. Still no audio.

Thanks!

Chris D

GlowInTheDark

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:12 pm

Some TVs just don't work with OMXplayer. I've had this happen in the past - and no amount of explaining on the forum seems to generate any positive result on the problem. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

And by "Don't work", I mean, you get video but no audio.

So, I wouldn't be surprised that something got twerked in the move from the Pi 3 to the Pi 4 that caused this bug to surface. Note that the setup on the Pi 4 is different, in terms of the underlying engines used, so this is not a total surprise. See the other thread about playing two videos simultaneously on the Pi4 for more details/background on what's changed in the Pi 4.
GitD's list of things that are not quite ready for prime time:
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3

Chris D

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info GlowInTheDark,

I saw that thread and couldn't make much sense of it (From my problem's perspective).

I was expecting a few problems with the RPI4 / Buster up grade, but frankly I am hitting a lot more problems than I expected (Omxplayer-audio, Omxplayer-video image issue, Espeak - audio, DNS problems when using a static IP, to name a few).

For what I can get running, I love the performance boost!

Chris D

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:56 pm

omxplayer currently only plays audio out of HDMI0 (the one closest to the USB-C power connector).
I've created a PR that allows you to reroute it to either HDMI connector - https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/pull/754
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

GlowInTheDark

Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:14 pm

6by9 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:56 pm
omxplayer currently only plays audio out of HDMI0 (the one closest to the USB-C power connector).
I've created a PR that allows you to reroute it to either HDMI connector - https://github.com/popcornmix/omxplayer/pull/754
Yes, but note that (i.e., keep in mind that) that isn't really the issue here. I just brought that (and by "that", I mean the HDMI0/HDMI1 issue) up as a side note to my main point.

The main point is that some TVs just don't work ("work" meaning, play audio) with certain versions of omxplayer. I know, because I run lots of RPis on lots of different TVs in my house - and there are some combinations that just don't work. I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that this is the problem into which OP has bumped.
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3

6by9

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:11 pm

GlowInTheDark wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Yes, but note that (i.e., keep in mind that) that isn't really the issue here. I just brought that (and by "that", I mean the HDMI0/HDMI1 issue) up as a side note to my main point.

The main point is that some TVs just don't work ("work" meaning, play audio) with certain versions of omxplayer. I know, because I run lots of RPis on lots of different TVs in my house - and there are some combinations that just don't work. I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that this is the problem into which OP has bumped.
Huh? To quote the OP.
one of the issues I am having is getting audio output using OMXPlayer. All the video and audio works great with VLC player so that verifies the media, connectors, cables, speakers, and HDMI monitor are all working.
That says that the OP has an issue with audio. Whilst we don't have full details, it's a reasonable guess that he's using HDMI1 (furthest away from the USB power connector).
Nobody has mentioned an issue at all with HDMI0/1 on this thread until your latest post.

I'm responding to the OP based on a best guess of their situation. If you want to start a totally separate discussion, then please start your own thread.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Chris D

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I am not near the RPI4 at the moment, I am at work. When I get home I can confirm which HDMI port I was using. As a guess, I would say that I am using the one closest to the power input, but my guesses have not been very good lately!

Thanks for helping though! It sure would be nice to get some of the odd problems worked out.

Chris D

GlowInTheDark

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:14 pm

I'm responding to the OP based on a best guess of their situation. If you want to start a totally separate discussion, then please start your own thread.
@6by9, don't worry about it. There's nothing to get excited about.

We seem to be talking about totally different things - so, again, nothing to worry about.
Last edited by GlowInTheDark on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1) IPv6
2) 64 bit OSes
3) USB 3

Chris D

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:00 am

update on which HDMI port I am connected in...

The port I am using is the one closest to the power input plug.

Chris

Return to “General discussion”