DanielSilva

Re: What have we missed?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:33 pm

Quote from Svartalf on September 2, 2011, 22:29
Quote from DanielSilva on September 2, 2011, 22:27
You just don't see any socket because it's soldered to the board, it still uses common mobile ddr not PoP RAM that the raspi uses.

I thought the Tegra used PoP RAM too. You can get PoP as high as 1Gb in some cases. You just can't get it for the R-Pi right at the moment.

Well i know that Beagleboard uses PoP RAM but i believe Tegra boards uses mobile ram. Could be mistaken but that's the impression i got when i saw one at a demo booth at the university.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:38 pm

I think Tegra is now split into 2 product lines, one of which uses discrete RAM and the other of which uses PoP. Don't quote me on that, though!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

DanielSilva

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Quote from liz on September 2, 2011, 22:38
I think Tegra is now split into 2 product lines, one of which uses discrete RAM and the other of which uses PoP. Don't quote me on that, though!

It seems that the Tegra 250 does indeed come in both flavours and the tegra 250 dev board i saw used common ddr modules. After some search it appears that there are quite a few tablets using the tegra soc not using PoP ram like the Motorola Xoom that uses Elpida IC's.

I stand corrected.

Blars

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Since ps2 keyboards and mice tend to be cheaper and more available than usb ones, people wanting to assemble a R-pi on the cheap might want to look at a ps2-usb converter. I've gotten them for about $5 at a local swap meet (new chineese import) with both keyboard and mouse ports. In some cases it may allow you to skip the USB hub, since both keyboard and mouse are on one USB port.

liz

Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:44 pm

I have one of those attached to the ps2 jack of my lovely IBM Model M keyboard, which sadly no longer works because Mooncake the Official Raspberry Pi Cat poured a pot of coffee into it.

destinmartin

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:33 am

I have been following this for a week or 2 and now I registered. I would like you to get rid of hdmi and give vga. Or at least a converter. Is it possible to use the red yellow and white connector cables( the name i can not rember)? that would be good. And what sort of touchscreens would work with it? I was also thinking of installing backtrack linux distro 5. It has an arm proccesor distro too! would that work?

Michael

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:04 am

Hello destinmartin. Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your first post!

Quote from destinmartin on September 3, 2011, 01:33
I would like you to get rid of hdmi and give vga.

Sorry, that's not going to happen. The processor that's being used provides composite and HDMI outputs, so that's what the board will provide. VGA requires extra components, which would push the price beyond the $25 target price point.

You can use the yellow, red and white connector cables. The yellow one is called Composite video and plugs into the yellow or orange RCA connector on the R.Pi. For red and white, you'll need a "Stereo Phono to 3.5mm Jack" cable from your local audio, TV or computer store. The 3.5mm jack end plugs into the stereo jack output on the R.Pi.

Your other questions are answered in the FAQ

win2linconvert

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:29 am

I'm thinking of I.V.E. or just a portable multimedia device in general. Would it be possible or feasible to integrate a tv tuner onto the device or would it make more sense to use some kind of usb tv tuner? Also, with all the recent upheaval in the D.E. world of Linux, do you think that the current Raspberry Pi specs are still going to be sufficient?

texasdex

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:01 pm

Quote from win2linconvert on September 3, 2011, 10:29
with all the recent upheaval in the D.E. world of Linux, do you think that the current Raspberry Pi specs are still going to be sufficient?

This device is not using Gnome or KDE. I've heard talk of LXDE as a favorite for it, and that makes plenty of sense. I'm sure you could use IceWM or Xfce if you desired.

One question about the composite output: The resolution is going to be pretty limited on that. Is there a plan to automatically resize the on-screen text to keep it readable? Last time I plugged in a Mac to my old CRT TV the user interface was unusable because you couldn't read what the buttons said. A 1080p HDTV gives you much better resolution than a 480i composite output.

DanielSilva

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:11 pm

Most linux flavours allow to do that but it is a good question, a simple button on the taskbar to easily change.

*adds that to the list

win2linconvert

Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:15 am

I was thinking of an integrated tuner supporting NTSC analog, ATSC and Clear QAM digital signals, not so much a composite output. I'm not sure if this would add to much bulk and or cost to the RasPi or not. I've been looking at usb versions of these (Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6815116034) and I'm thinking that this would be the perfect addition to turn the RasPi into an inexpensive I.V.I. That is if the components don't cost to much. I've seen usb tv tuners for as little as $25 retail, so I'm thinking that the components can't cost that much. Anyway, that's my idea for using the RasPi. At least for the first one I buy. One last thing. I have been reading about the ability to over-clock the Arm processor in the HP TouchPad through kernel tweaks. There are actually some videos on the web showing the results. Is that possible with the Arm processor on the RasPi? Thanks for the earlier responses and for taking the time to read all this.

hajj_3

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:51 pm

an analog tuner would be pointless, who wants analog these days? The only realistic way of getting a tuner in a raspberry pi would be for a future broadcom chip to have a built-in dvb-t tuner which i can't see happening.

This is to teach people computing not watch tv with.

Art

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Creative Crew,
Do you plan to use non-toxic materials for the resins and coatings on the motherboard and on other parts? With children as end-users this seems kind of a MUST ...
Since no moving parts like fans etc are involved (my guess so far) a simple way of getting rid of excess heat in tropical environments would be a slide-open casing like in matchboxes, with a split lid pulling open over the cable-connected front and rear ends of the RP, providing direct access to the motherboard. In this case children (as well as the soldering maniac) would appreciate non-toxic materials.

DanielSilva

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Quote from Art on September 4, 2011, 14:13
Hi Creative Crew,
Do you plan to use non-toxic materials for the resins and coatings on the motherboard and on other parts? With children as end-users this seems kind of a MUST ...

As far a i know the raspi is made to be complaint of European laws/directives ( like RoHS ) so that should be a non issue.

Since no moving parts like fans etc are involved (my guess so far) a simple way of getting rid of excess heat in tropical environments would be a slide-open casing like in matchboxes, with a split lid pulling open over the cable-connected front and rear ends of the RP, providing direct access to the motherboard. In this case children (as well as the soldering maniac) would appreciate non-toxic materials.

The raspi uses a SoC made for mobiles phones so that is also a non issue, never seen a phone with fans have you ? ;)

liz

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Yup - everything in there is ROHS compliant. Everything in the *alpha* boards is ROHS compliant - so I'm afraid that you can't use the Raspberry Pi to subtly poison your enemies.

And as DanielSilva says, the SoC simply doesn't get hot enough to require a heatsink, fan or anything else.

CommanderCoder

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm

I know Python is included but is IDLE (or another Python IDE) included too?

jasongreen

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:28 pm

If I read the FAQ correctly, the initial release won't include a case. I don't have a RepRap or MakerBot sitting around, so this is kind of a big deal since I wanted to give R-Pi's to my kids. I don't think you can give them to children until they have some sort of case. How soon will there be some sort of case option?

Michael

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Cases are probably the most requested accessory item. I think it is very likely that cases will be available from multiple sources at or very soon after launch day.

ewm3

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:37 am

Is IR receiver possible for Model B?
I am thinking about remote controlling of RasPI using old TV remote.
IR TX 0$
IR RX ~1$

toxibunny

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:09 pm

easy peasy to add your own IR reciever as a homebrew project, surely?
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

ewm3

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:33 pm

I believe that it is easy peasy for you but unfortunately not for me :( I am just a software guy and want to program my RasPI to receive my remote command from my old and useless TV remote :)

Lakes

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Not going the diy hardware route, you need to buy a usb IR receiver that had software to learn the commands from your remote or be able to write your own.

ewm3

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:58 pm

ok ... usb ... :( ...

rickyjames

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:22 am

I did a writeup on my desire for accomodations for stackable project boards, which grew so long I moved it to its own thread here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?pa.....#038;t=431

pixeltricks

Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:16 pm

Quote from ewm3 on September 7, 2011, 12:37
Is IR receiver possible for Model B?
I am thinking about remote controlling of RasPI using old TV remote.
IR TX 0$
IR RX ~1$

I can't see that being a problem to add. You would only need two GP I/O pins to accomplish that.

Return to “General discussion”