jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: What have we missed?

Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:04 am

The reasons for not having one on as standard is that they are surprisingly expensive, once you include battery backup etc. I think it would make a good add on though, for those that need it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:11 am

An RTC peripheral would probably be a good project for a Model A as there's no native ethernet to access a network time source, though pricewise, you'd be better getting an USB ethernet dongle anyway :-) . However, should RTC be what you want, then there's no real constructional barrier either as there's plenty of i2c RTCs for the Arduino market, eg: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/99 (just chosen for illustration, google and ebay will turn up cheaper).

Its then just a case of script/code to access it as required.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Svartalf

Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:00 pm

Quote from jamesh on October 12, 2011, 09:04
The reasons for not having one on as standard is that they are surprisingly expensive, once you include battery backup etc. I think it would make a good add on though, for those that need it.

You should be able to daisy chain one off the I2C bus, if it's properly exposed out the device (even if you have to solder pins to the board to get to it...)- and it wouldn't cost much more than the R-Pi on the breakout (Retail price on it from varying sources with breakouts is $17 or so).

WizardOfOZ

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Mounting holes.

Specifically the round kind, able to pass an M3 machine screw as anything smaller may be hard to source for some. Unfortunately, once you add clearance for the screw heads and stand-off pillars below, then they will take up a significant fraction of a CC sized board.

I realize this may be a tough suggestion, given the size of the board. However I always find it problematic to find some way to mount small prototyping board with components close to the edges and lots of wires attached, thus they tend to skitter all over the place. Doubly so if you wish to attach a daughter board for I/O etc.

jirwald

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am

I miss I2C and CAN bus adapters for industrial applications...

Rasz

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am

Quote from jirwald on October 14, 2011, 12:06

i2c was mentioned present on the header
can http://www.avrcard.com/product.....dapter.htm ?

jirwald

Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:30 am

Quote from Rasz on October 14, 2011, 12:52
Quote from jirwald on October 14, 2011, 12:06

i2c was mentioned present on the header
can http://www.avrcard.com/product.....dapter.htm ?

Tnx!

WizardOfOZ

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Another feature request, assuming this hasn't already been taken into consideration:

Could we - pretty please with cherries and maple sugar on the top - get some *alternative* means of feeding +5V to the Raspi board, in addition to the recently announced micro USB connector?

This could be in the form of, say, an extra pin on the GPIO connector, or perhaps a pair of reasonably sized (not microscopic) and unpopulated header holes on a 0.1" spacing for directly soldering in a pair of wires to an external PSU.

The issue here is that forcing (most) people to power the Raspi directly from the mains is going to end in grief in many cases. This is due to issues with common mode mains voltage through the internal noise bypassing capacitors used in the PSUs used to power - respectively - the Raspi and any expansion board connected to the GPIO connector.

Many countries less developed than the UK, like most of the rest of the world, does not have standardized and enforced 3 prong mains connectors, mostly relying on just supplying neutral and phase to the appliance. This means no common safety ground. As a result one has to be *very* careful when powering a DIY electronics contraption from more than a single mains supplied power supply. There is a very real risk of having a full mains voltage AC differential between the 'ground' rails of each supply, leading to obvious problems if you just hook things up without due care. This voltage is (hopefully) dulled by the internal safety capacitor capacitance, so the available current should be relatively harmless to a human. It can be easily felt though.

This is the reason why many types of connections intended to go between different mains powered appliances, like wired Ethernet, are rated to an isolation voltage of several KV DC.

With the old connector you could at least warn hardware experimenter about the issue, and tell them to power their whole setup from a single PSU.

To put it differently: Please test that the Raspi SoC enjoys a test feeding 240 VACrms directly to one or more of the GPIO pins through a suitable 10nF safety rated capacitor.

Additionally, while the previous coaxial connector wasn't ideal either, it at least had the advantage of being large enough that a newbie to soldering had a fair chance of successfully soldering a pair of wires directly to the board/connector as an emergency solution, if the proper connector isn't available. I have been working with electronics for more than 30 years by now, and when even I don't have a micro USB connector going spare, I dare say loose ones are not very common. Most people will probably have to sacrifice a factory made cable assembly.

jean_bruder

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:46 am

Hi all !

It would maybe be easier to have another kind of request feature processing model than just a Wiki board. I maybe think to something much more like a "bugzilla" board, which embed the "feature request" ... This will help the Raspi team to have a better and easier view on the requests made by the users :-) Hope it helps ...

hippy

Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 am

Quote from WizardOfOZ on October 21, 2011, 10:50
Could we - pretty please with cherries and maple sugar on the top - get some *alternative* means of feeding +5V to the Raspi board, in addition to the recently announced micro USB connector?

Just to say I second that - GPIO pin, easy(ish) to solder pad will do.

I believe everyone appreciates the reason for the design as it now is, and recognise what's being asked for is not an absolute essential for learning programming, but will be a great convenience for those interested in hardware interfacing of the R-Pi.

abishur

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Quote from jean_bruder on October 24, 2011, 10:46
Hi all !

It would maybe be easier to have another kind of request feature processing model than just a Wiki board. I maybe think to something much more like a "bugzilla" board, which embed the "feature request" ... This will help the Raspi team to have a better and easier view on the requests made by the users :-) Hope it helps ...

Once the actual board get's released, that's not a bad idea. I believe the true point of this thread was to see a) What people might want on some distant future iteration of the device and b) Make sure that there wasn't some huge obvious thing they missed that needed to go onto the model a/b boards. I don't think this thread was supposed to be a long term bug/feature tracker ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jean_bruder

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Hi Abishur,

Your excellent project is victim of his success and I believe you will soon be asked to release a new "C release" of the board with many improved features, as I can notice that so many people asked for :-) Long live to the RasPI :-)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Quote from abishur on October 24, 2011, 13:42

Once the actual board get's released, that's not a bad idea. I believe the true point of this thread was to see a) What people might want on some distant future iteration of the device and b) Make sure that there wasn't some huge obvious thing they missed that needed to go onto the model a/b boards. I don't think this thread was supposed to be a long term bug/feature tracker ;)

Ha - you're not wrong there! (Eben and I had a conversation the other day which started along the lines of "I wish I'd never started that bloody thread"...)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

kpikid

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

On release can we have a network version of Elite incorporated?

That alone should shift a few units. ;)

abishur

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:41 pm

I too think it's an excellent project, but I'm just a fan helping out by helping moderate the forums. It's not my project it's Liz, Eben's Jamesh, and Gert Van-loo (I think that's the main people who comment in the forum, sorry if I missed anyone in the forum who's affiliated with the project!) ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

liz

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Quote from kpikid on October 24, 2011, 16:05

Unfortunately, David's not the only person who holds the rights to Elite, and so we probably won't see a port. I'm disappointed too. :(

liz

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:52 pm

Quote from abishur on October 24, 2011, 16:41
I too think it's an excellent project, but I'm just a fan helping out by helping moderate the forums. It's not my project it's Liz, Eben's Jamesh, and Gert Van-loo (I think that's the main people who comment in the forum, sorry if I missed anyone in the forum who's affiliated with the project!) ;)

You missed Jack Lang, our biz dev guy. He posts here infrequently, but it's always worth reading.

kpikid

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:19 pm

Quote from liz on October 24, 2011, 16:50

Unfortunately, David's not the only person who holds the rights to Elite, and so we probably won't see a port. I'm disappointed too. :(

I thought David is starting Elite IV very soon...

jacklang

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 pm

Quote from liz on October 24, 2011, 16:52
You missed Jack Lang, our biz dev guy. He posts here infrequently, but it'es always worth reading.

Waves! Thanks Liz

You should also mention the other Trustees, who are doing some of the heavy lifting:

David Braben http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.....vid_Braben
Pete Lomas http://www.norcott.co.uk/corpo.....e/pete.php
Prof. Alan Mycroft http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~am21/
Rob Mullins http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rdm34/

and our CFO
Martin Cartwright http://www.thefdcentre.co.uk/f.....-fd-centre

All are working pro bono

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Ian Bell hosts copies of all released Elite ports on his website. I imagine one of them will run fairly nicely in the appropriate emulator (e.g. the NES version).

Nobody

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am

I think it has been mentioned before, but what is really missing is a VGA connector.

I understand why it is not on-board and the combination composite + HDMI is perfect to connect to any old TV and any newer/future flat-screen.
However, TVs or newer LCDs (with HDMI) rarely exist at schools or universities! They do however have a lot of old CRTs and LCDs, all of witch accept VGA input.

At the very least it would be nice if the foundation could sell a HDMI to VGA converter or something similar.

jamesh

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 am

Quote from Nobody on November 2, 2011, 10:10
I think it has been mentioned before, but what is really missing is a VGA connector.

I understand why it is not on-board and the combination composite + HDMI is perfect to connect to any old TV and any newer/future flat-screen.
However, TVs or newer LCDs (with HDMI) rarely exist at schools or universities! They do however have a lot of old CRTs and LCDs, all of witch accept VGA input.

At the very least it would be nice if the foundation could sell a HDMI to VGA converter or something similar.

You think it has been mentioned before? Blimey. Only about a squillion times. Do a search on the forum for the reason why there is no VGA, and possible ways round it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

raubvogel

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Thread resurrection:
All I would really want is a (e)sata port; everything else is more than enough for me. I mean, with a less powerful machine (dockstar) running OpenWRT I am doing a slower version of what I want: a very efficient fileserver. If I had sata/esata I would be quite happy.

Also, what do you think about uboot (http://forum.doozan.com/)? Yeah, you might have to restore the OS, but it would be just a tftp away from it.

kme

Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Quote from raubvogel on November 25, 2011, 14:31
Thread resurrection:
All I would really want is a (e)sata portBCM2835 has ONE bus - and that's one USB2 bus. There is no pci/ata/sata or similar so you can forget everything about (e)sata.

Johannes

Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:02 pm

Quote from raubvogel on November 25, 2011, 14:31
a less powerful machine (dockstar)

The Dockstar is different, not necessarily less powerful. It has the same amount of RAM as the Model A Raspberry Pi, it has a less advanced CPU that runs at a higher clock speed. The integer performance should be in the same ballpark. Raspberry Pi probably has the edge with floating point. The Raspberry Pi CPU is still below the threshold where you'd want to run demanding floating point calculations, so the difference may not matter in practice.

The Dockstar has hardware for AES acceleration and gigabit ethernet on chip. The Raspberry Pi doesn't have crypto acceleration and the 100Mbps ethernet port is attached through USB2 and shares bandwidth with other USB devices.

The Dockstar has four 500mA USB ports. The Raspberry Pi has HDMI, video and audio out.

The Dockstar is fully supported by the mainline Linux kernel and doesn't need to load proprietary software. The Raspberry Pi can decode H.264 1080p at 30fps, but needs proprietary software to do it (and to boot in the first place).

Return to “General discussion”