iznobe

new forum section

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Hello ,

it is possible i don't see it , but i have not found a tutorial section in this forum .

i thins it is possible a good thing , because i can see many repetitive posts and often there is already an existing solution .

more , many of member's forum aree geek :D ( not me :oops: ) , but if they want , they can write tutorial , this tutorial can concentrate answer about a specific problem , rather than having hundreds of different post .

please , could you make ( if doesn't already exist ) a tutorial section please with subsection , pi zero , pi 2 , pi3 and pi 4 for example?

sorry for my bad english :mrgreen: hope you understand me .

Regards.
Last edited by iznobe on Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterO

Re: new forum section

Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:32 pm

iznobe wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 pm
Hello ,

it is possible i don't see it , but i have not found a tutorial section in this forum .
If you look harder you'll find them on the main site, not in these forums..... https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
There is nothing to stop you writing a tutorial and putting it in the appropriate already exisiting forum section.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

iznobe

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:01 pm

OK , but there is a minimal of them , in the link you have send .

it is possible to do a lot of tutorial , and post as a simple message in each section is not easily to find what users want to find .

in one section it is possible to search in this specific section with the research tool , it seems to me that was a good idea :oops:
Last edited by iznobe on Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterO

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 pm

iznobe wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:01 pm
it is possible to do a lot of tutorial , and post as a simple message in each section is not easily ton find what users want to find .
That has nothing to do with were they are, but more to do with people not knowing how to use search engines properly to look for them !

PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

iznobe

Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:30 pm

this a google trad ;)

we could push the reasoning even further, and therefore find it useless to make a forum, or a site that speaks of a single subject, as here.

it would be enough for everyone to make his site and talk about raspberry each on his side and with very little content, it would be enough for users to use google and search as it should ... it's a bit aberant as reasoning no?

the principle is the same with what you say about tutorials, rather than centralizing the tutorials, as much as posting them in sections that have nothing in common.

after that is a decision to take ( or not ) , excuses for not doing things, we can always find full.

EDIT : i think that santa claus can do what he decided to do , i ' m joking ;) about your avatar .

Imperf3kt

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:14 pm

I suppose a sticky full of links placed in the beginners section would be useful. It doesn't harm anybody to make one.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
I suppose a sticky full of links placed in the beginners section would be useful. It doesn't harm anybody to make one.
Except lots of stickies mean new posts get pushed off the front page.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

RossDv8

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:20 pm

I initially wrote that Perhaps the word ' (Tutorials) ' or even 'Raspberry Pi Tutorials' could be added to the heading 'Using your Pi' - possibly above or below the heading title. However after checking Google results further I think a more appropriate spot might be the main 'Help' page, so I edited the bottom of this post accordingly.

A lot of people look for the actual word Tutorial or Tutorials, and having those words on a page where there are links to tutorials about how to use the Pi, might also help with the returns in a search engine for people who search for a raspberry pi tutorial.
Having said that, there are so many alternatives that can be searched. But I suspect the words 'raspberry pi tutorial' are popular as a search term.

When I searched Google just now for: raspberry pi tutorial I got 'About 66,700,000 results (0.70 seconds)' and not one link to www.raspberrypi.org on the first page !!
I just checked the second and third pages of my Google resultsand no links to www.raspberrypi.org on those either. Out of 66 million hits?

So even if there is no point adding a 'new' tutorials page, I would like to suggest that the words 'Raspberry Pi Tutorials' be added to the main heading of the existing page at https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/

That should show up on Google search results and might bring more Pi users to the official website.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Imperf3kt

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:20 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
Except lots of stickies mean new posts get pushed off the front page.
I meant one sticky to a single post with multiple links (and a brief description) within. Somewhat like an index post.
The same way the not booting sticky works.

Regarding searching "raspberry pi tutorial", I would think it more common for people to search "how to <do specific thing> on / with raspberry Pi"
For example, the search "how to use Raspberry Pi" via Google yields not only many results, but the first one even gets shown on the search page in a simple bullet point list form.
The second result:
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... y-pi-using
The third result :
https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
The fourth result :
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... ng-started

I think you get the idea.

Learning how to use a search engine would benefit people more than RPF maintaining a "tutorials" section on the forum. And no, I don't mean that scornfully.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

RossDv8

Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:33 am

I sort of agree, but my reply was based on the original post in this topic, which specifically asked about a forum section on tutorials. A surprising number of people are not interested in learning how to use a search engine. These days many people just search for whatever comes into their mind. As you say imperf3kt, searching 'how to use a raspberry pi' already comes up with links to raspberrypi.org tutorials.
It is all about the forum admins deciding what search terms to trap and direct to the tutorials/how to use page.
Because a lot of people still do'n't understand that there actually IS such a page.
until you fart ...

PeterO

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:07 am

RossDv8 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:20 pm
When I searched Google just now for: raspberry pi tutorial I got 'About 66,700,000 results (0.70 seconds)' and not one link to www.raspberrypi.org on the first page !!
Which proves my point about search terms on google.
I searched for "raspberry pi getting started" and got top four links to raspberrypi.org pages. Even "Raspberry pi help" gets top hits on raspberrypi.org.
You can't use the results from just one search term as proof that google can't find the information you want.

PeterO.

Heater

Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:54 am

RossDv8
I just checked the second and third pages of my Google resultsand no links to www.raspberrypi.org on those either. Out of 66 million hits?
I thought that sounded amazingly unlikely so I tried it myself.

I search google with the term "raspberry pi tutorial". I get 65 million hits. The very first result is to this site:

"Getting started with Raspberry Pi"
https://projects.raspberrypi.org/en/pro ... ng-started

Then comes a lot of juicy interesting kinks to all kind of Pi related tutorials.

In general I would say that if people have not figured out how to use a search engine yet they won't get much benefit out of any Pi tutorials before they have mastered that.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

LTolledo

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:32 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 pm

I meant one sticky to a single post with multiple links (and a brief description) within. Somewhat like an index post.
The same way the not booting sticky works.
Agree with this, but its still up to the mods if they would want to "index" it.
As for me, I just scan the first page of each forum section for "something interesting", sometimes take a peek on the second page but rarely go beyond it.
so if I see more topics on the first page... me thinks its better.... :D
PeterO wrote: If you look harder you'll find them on the main site, not in these forums..... https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/
There is nothing to stop you writing a tutorial and putting it in the appropriate already existing forum section.

PeterO
+1
Yup... this!

Heater wrote: In general I would say that if people have not figured out how to use a search engine yet they won't get much benefit out of any Pi tutorials before they have mastered that.
There must be a new phobia emerging.... "the fear of using internet search engines" (yes I searched the internet, its still not registered as "______"-phobia)..... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

RossDv8

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:55 am

If it was one of my web sites I might just change the text on the main Help page from 'Help guides...' to 'Help guides and Tutorials'.
That might make it a little more obvious for some people who don;t understand the captions on each 'section' image.
It 'might' also add more search hits for people who have the word tutorial in a search without impacting other results.
But I suppose there's only a certain amount of guessing and spoon feeding we can do when designing pages for the multitude of users, especially as many of us not native English speakers..

Some of my business pages have all the 'important' information about a particular business laid out clearly - but business often relate how often people ring and ask for information that is clearly written Just Above The Phone Number they just dialled !!!

Weird...
until you fart ...

Return to “General discussion”