Partholan

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 am

Being a Gentoo guy who tries to install Gentoo on pretty much everything I've already set up a cross compile environment to compile a basic Gentoo system for the RasPi and extend it according to the uses below.

1. I'd like to replace my current 24/7 home server with a RasPi box to save power. The applications running on the server would be: Apache, MySQL, PHP (to run webapps like mediawiki and wordpress), Samba (file server) and some apps which make up an IMAP server to archive my e-mails.

2. A second device could be used to play media files from the file server on my TV. So that would make it a run GUI (MythTV, XBMC or the likes).

3. I'd prepare a third device for my girlfriend so she can learn the basics of Linux and use it as a backup NAS and webserver at the same time.

4. I'd prepare a fourth device for my parents who have a lot to catch up when it comes to computers and Internet. The challenge would be to make this installation as foolproof as possible to provide a safe browsing experience.

wellwisher12

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 am

First of all, I am just interested in how far this thing can really go. I am not a computer/science whiz at all. But I love playing around. And that is what I am going to do.

Secondly, I will use it as a backup computer. If my computers fail, it is comforting to know that I will be able to go online anytime I like.

roelfrenkema

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Partholan said:

Being a Gentoo guy who tries to install Gentoo on pretty much everything I've already set up a cross compile environment to compile a basic Gentoo system for the RasPi and extend it according to the uses below.

1. I'd like to replace my current 24/7 home server with a RasPi box to save power. The applications running on the server would be: Apache, MySQL, PHP (to run webapps like mediawiki and wordpress), Samba (file server) and some apps which make up an IMAP server to archive my e-mails.

2. A second device could be used to play media files from the file server on my TV. So that would make it a run GUI (MythTV, XBMC or the likes).

3. I'd prepare a third device for my girlfriend so she can learn the basics of Linux and use it as a backup NAS and webserver at the same time.

4. I'd prepare a fourth device for my parents who have a lot to catch up when it comes to computers and Internet. The challenge would be to make this installation as foolproof as possible to provide a safe browsing experience.

Partholan said:

My idea completely add a portable community building ad-hoc network and while at it make sure the wifi is able to do promiscuous mode and the sky is the limit. I think it may even provoke the generation of some new software where f.i. DNS synchronising and p-to-p is concerned.

gregtaylor

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 pm

A long time ago I saw some research work where a scientist had built lots of little computers each with a Z80 processor,a bit of ROM for the program and a bit of RAM for its workspace.  Each processor would do one small part of a major system.  He had many dozens doing the job of a digital telephone switch (which were then just starting to be developed and would fill a small room).  His replacement fitted in a suitcase.  It makes you wonder if the same could be done with lots of Pi computers.  A VoIP switch is a possible.  One to acknowledge a call, one to sort out who is calling, one to sort out who to call and so on.  It is a bit complex in terms of wiring them together but incredibly easy to program and debug (since no computer "cell" is doing very much" and fantastic for coping with hardware failures.  Have each "cell" report status to a central management "cell" which alerts of a failure and you just swap the faulty one out.  I would imagine post initial soak reliability should be outstanding anyway, very reliable and trusted processor on a very low populated circuit board.

mole125

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:09 pm

My first project is to use it as the brains of a laser cutter I'm currently trying to build - hopefully by the time I finish the mechanics I'll be able to get hold of a pi.

Will probably also be setting it up as a home media server, or better still a PVR, though capturing SVideo/composite in and converting it may require some of Gert's help as I imagine it's going to have to go straight into the GPU.

A network attached thermostat (perhaps one with a temp sensor in each room) is also a tempting idea...

gregtaylor

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:41 pm

tritonium said:

To think I still have a couple of floppy discs (@1.44 Mbyte each) on which is my operating system (dos), programming language (quickbasic compileable) and all my programs!! In those days a gygabyte was science fiction.

Dave,  In the 80s, I ran a software development team of 9 staff.  Our file server had 70MB of storage and even when I left was not even half full!

Greg

paulie

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:34 am

First off, I would use one as an APRS tracker: GPS input (either usb or from a module on the board), small touch screen (for maps/GPS raw data/config), 1200baud afsk I/O (usb soundcard), xastir to control it all.
No doubt someone with more experience with xastir will shoot me down in flames (too many dependencies, not enough memory,,,)

Secondly, how about a controller for a RepRap machine?
RepRaps are rapid prototyping machines designed for small communities: a parent makes the extruded plastic parts for its children.
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

b3nn0

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:23 pm

1. Attach external HDD

2. run DownloadDaemon (http://downloaddaemon.sourceforge.net) on it

3. ???

4. profit!

iridium2177

Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi everyone,

How about combining a Raspberry Pi with a OBDII diagnostic interface and a 3.5" TFT LCD Colour Screen for real-time vehicle systems monitoring?

Steve

tawalker

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:23 pm

Initially, I'd probably experiment with the RasPi as a "companion" for our home TV (currently, the only HDMI-capable display we have) - seeing how the RasPi would serve as a "living-room computer" (network media player, Web browsing, email, the odd game, etc.).

Whether or not this works, I also like the idea of having a "PC in my pocket"

Also, once I get hold of a RasPi, I'm hoping I can get Arch/ARM running on it, as the x86 version is well-suited to my Eee 701SD netbook (another computer of modest resources). I'll probably try the Fluxbox window manager under X instead of a desktop environment, as I suspect I'll need to squeeze every drop of performance out of the machine that I can...

In other words: I'm looking forward to plenty of "tinkering"!
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

geopis90

Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 pm

In the long term i'd like to combine it with a reprap (kind of CNC) to build my own objects and experiment in general. For now, i'm going to use it as a media player and a portable machine to make my own programs. Also, i'd like to use it as a "brain" to build my own robot(i don't know if it's possible yet) but this will cost me a lot to do, so i'll have to do it with my pace! :/

a.lone.wolf

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 pm

I would use the Raspberry Pi as a Catch Up T.V. box, HDMI output will be great.

HD here I come!

NewtonRob

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:10 pm

I plan to use it with a USnooBie (An ATMEGA328P based microcontroller  board).  The USnooBie connects to a  computer as a USB device.  I plan to  write code to control the analog and digital I/O pins via USB commands from the  Raspberry PI.  This will allow Robotics  control of a microcontroller via battery powered Linux based computer the size
of credit card.  I will be very happy to  be able to use eclipse and GCC to control robotics projects.  (The actual development might take place on a  desktop and ported to the Raspberry PI, not sure yet).  I will also add a wireless USB dongle and a  Web cam.  At this point the Raspberry PI  will be a Web server that controls a robot with a live video feed.  I plan to be able to control the robot via an  iPhone (I’m not just talking Radio Controlled; I intend to send telemetry from an  autonomous robot).

aszu

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:36 pm

These are all great ideas, but I think some of you do not realize how low-powered (in terms of computing power) this ARM core is.

I guess you can roughly expect performance of antique Pentium 200Mhz (with MMX from this 700Mhz ARM core.

Graphics core is much faster, but its usage is quite limited.

MagnumPi

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:44 pm

aszu said:

These are all great ideas, but I think some of you do not realize how low-powered (in terms of computing power) this ARM core is.

I guess you can roughly expect performance of antique Pentium 200Mhz (with MMX from this 700Mhz ARM core.

Graphics core is much faster, but its usage is quite limited.

That is all part of the fun!  They put a man on the moon with relatively little computing power.

AlanM

Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:59 pm

um, first post, and it's such an interesting question.  In reality we have no idea what kind of game changer this could be.  Loads of children had computers in their bedrooms in the '80s because of the price point and the fact that they could be plugged into 2nd TVs.

The ability to plug this into the spare TV, which now is pretty much defunct due to its analogue nature interests me.

A development kit that can grow with the child who owns it, simply downloading a new image for the SD card for the school year and having all of the data on a USB stick means that the curriculum can be based around something whereby the work can carry on at home without requiring very expensive devices (and laptops are still very expensive for many families whereby a very low cost RPi is much more achievable.)

So for me, my first one will be mine, my second will be my son's on his eighth birthday in June.  As the younger children have birthdays they may well get one.  CF card with appropriate software.

Software suitable to run a BigTrack type toy, they can put the program for it together on a USB stick and then plug it in and see what happens.  The RPi in the BigTrak would then run the program.

But what will the world look like with much more ubiquitous computing provided by a full computer at this price point?

No idea.  But it's going to be fun finding out.

SE43

Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:34 am

I am probably gonna buy one at first, get my bearings with the device, then I am going too...

1: PROGRAM! Like a mad man gonna learn all Python, C, C++ etc

2: Streaming device, for HD TV, will be awesome!

3: Use it for simple web browing (Of Course! )

4: Old emulators!

5: Once learnt Linux fully, might try and get a proxy server working for some things, and would love to make a simple server to connect to do some stuff with (Unsure yet)

wr1472

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:43 pm

As the R-Pi only costs $35 I think it goes against the philosophy somewhat to look to hook up an expensive display (cost and power consumption) and a conventional mouse / keyboard that will cost almost as much the R-Pi.

I'm wondering how feasible it would be to interact with it in other "cheaper" ways. Specifically I'm thinking voice recognition for input, and text to speech for output? With a cheap mic and speaker.

To maintain and install stuff you could ssh into it remotely.

Also some great ideas here, but those that are thinking of this as a portable computer, aren't 99% of you already carrying one around which is far more powerful? For those ideas I'd learn how to develop for the iPhone, or much cheaper for Android.

Of course it's main aim is as an educational tool, when thinking about potential uses please think how you could implement the project in such a way that it teaches at least one other person about computer science!

Some concepts floating round my head inspired by all the ideas on here -

Portability isn't it's biggest asset
clustering would be cool; either in a dedicated rack/bramble or better yet a mesh when nearer other R-Pi like OLPC
Install freeswitch for VOIP to remotely interact over the phone (3rd world angle) and speech recognition / text-to-speech as main forms of input/output
Posted elsewhere using Node.js as the language/platform to teach kids how to write cool software
Embedded Furniture (TM) - embed the R-Pi board into everyday furniture. For example embed into school desks to capture useful data - what exactly I don't know or to make them interactive.

Rocky

Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:30 pm

Gonna build a mini system with the bits and pieces I have kicking about, wireless dongles/usb hub/160Gb drive from broken PS3, as a media centre. Also see if I can do some stuff on the demoscene (love the fact it's pretty much a fixed platform) and I'm pretty sure it'll gain a following there.

Another thought for sometime in the future might be as a controller for amateur telescopes like the nexstar.

Caspid

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:18 am

I can only think of two things I'd use it for, but they're definitely worth $25:

Dedicated, always-on torrent box.
Watching HD movies.

This is realistic, right?  Besides the Rpi, all I'd need are a wifi adapter, keyboard, mouse, and USB hard drive?

My five-year-old laptop can't handle 1080p and doesn't have HDMI out.

Chasm

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 am

I'll seriously under-utilize a B model for some data logging.

The 1-wire sensors are connected via Ethernet, poll them via telnet, store the data in a DB. A future step could be to connect at least a few of them to the GPIO and poll them directly.

Why using the Raspberry Pi? Because I can.  For now I just need a low power linux box, and the Raspberry Pi is an option. Another would be to go ahead and finally buy a new wlan router to put OpenWrt or Freetz on it. - But where is the fun in that?

UncleArthur

Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm really looking forward to getting an R-Pi and running RISC OS.

Yeah man - party and program like it was 1990s again !

nathanallan

Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:57 am

I'd make it into a game and also a network analyzer. Portable OR set top! The game would of course be for fun and the network analyzer would be for task. I'd definitely dedicate two of these as those devices

razzed

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:49 pm

bjmgeek said:

Set Top Box. Plug it into my TV"s HDMI input, and watch video streamed from the LAN.

Ditto.

I'm hoping to be able to boot an internet OS like Joli OS 1.2 and run XBMC on top of it.  I'm currently doing this using an old Dell Dimension 2400, (2.4ghz P4, 1.5 gbytes memory, Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS), and it works great except that like every other Linux distro I've tried on this hardware, video playback is choppy in the browser (hence one reason I like having XBMC installed--playback is silky smooth).  rPi will hopefully eliminate this last remaining problem and I'll be able to drop using XBMC altogether...  Like Chromium OS, Joli OS includes the Chrome browser by default which means not only do I have access to all of Joli OS's apps, but Chromium's as well.  In addition, unlike Chromium OS, Joli OS allows you to easily access the local file system, access native (Linux) apps, access multiple workspaces, attach to network shares, etc.  The reasons why I don't want to use XBMC alone include: navigation in XBMC is slow and awkward, you have to wait for plugins to be developed while the rest of the world accesses the same content directly in their browser and there’s no easy access to “local” apps. I understand that Joli OS 1.2 is built on Ubuntu 10.04 and that it may not support the ARM version used in the rPi, so that's the potential hurdle...

DavidR

Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:11 am

Hope to use it as a media centre and an alarm clock to wake me up for uni, would be great if it had speech recognition so i could just ask it whats the weather like, would save buying an iphone lol

Return to “General discussion”