ProDigit

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:30 pm

PLug it into my monitor, use it as a bittorrent client, and small site server; use a second one as a media player of a variety of media format files.

Mozza

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am

I think a lot of people here will come up with the usual suspects to begin with... Media Player, PVR, NAS Box, Emulator Box. Especially those with limited experience with this kind of thing (i.e. me).

But then I'd like to look into things like:
Portable projector (not sure how easy it is to get hardware)
Video eyewear (that don't make you look like LaForge)
e Note Pad (wacom tablet over a greyscale screen ala asus eeenote, or even over larger screen ala cintiq)

I think when we see what people can come up with especially with regard to screen and battery connections, we'll see a lot of portable gadgets for both general and specific tasks.

hstubbs3

Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 am

Yep. Lots of portable gadgets ...

Like a nice "portable" computer that could double as your lunch box? something like the ol' commodore 64, but with more space inside..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi.....d_crop.jpg

infodox

Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:01 am

I am considering buying more than one of these... I reckon one could do as a Minecraft server (at a stretch...) and another is going into a homemade laptop as the "main board". Screen from an old in-car TV, flexible keyboard, and some simple enough additions to it and it will be perfect!

Also maybe... Just maybe... Might experiment with a prototype "wearable computer" of sorts - it has been a dream since I was young :)

Query for the developers - will the main board/unit fit inside, say, a standard cigarette package (for scale)? It appears like it might, and I was wondering what considerations to make in terms of size.

Prometheus

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 am

My use is a bit mundane compared to some of the fantastic ones I've read here!

I'll just be using my Raspberry Pi as my main computer, as x86 boxes tend to be quite wasteful of power for my requirements, and I've been wanting to switch away from them for years. (For a time, I used a PowerPC-based Macintosh, but they stopped producing them.)

I will try to put it in an interesting housing, at least, when I have the time. I'm a seamstress, and was planning on either modifying an existing plush toy or making one from scratch to house a project-box that will contain my Pi and allow easy access to the ports so that I can hook up all the essentials to it. :P

glenalec

Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:52 am

Me personally,
- I would likely use one as an always-on low-capacity server. Mainly slurping my POP mail from my ISP and serving that and some static files I sometimes need to access from other-peoples computers.
- And next time I upgrade my mum's system, replace the ATOM mini-ITX box with a RPi (so long as it runs Abiword and her laser printer driver, she will be happy). I will probably just build her a whole computer desk with the RPi built-in to a routed-out slot on the underside.

Me, professionally (http://www.glenalec.net/DMCTO/.....ndex.shtml), already have instructions from higher up to buy 2 units to test, with a view to then getting a few dozen for use in our Bachelor of Digital Media program. Likely suplimenting our use of Arduino boards since the students invariably want to create AV art with them which at present necesitates connecting to a bulky PC.

Edrickson

Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:03 am

Here is a handheld concept i'm currently playing around with. The idea is for it to cost as little as possible, so it still hasn't got a screen. However, all it needs is to be plugged into one. (An attachable screen will be designed later when I've settled on the design). It's aim is to help children aged 11-18 to interact and enjoy their raspberry pi. It would be great if i could get any feedback on it, as it's for a project and i want to start making it by January.

(colour scheme is a tiny bit on the feminine side at moment... still playing around with the colours, this is just a quick mock-up of it, nothing final yet).

Neon22

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:36 am

that's pretty cool. As its wide enough to be held in both hands and typing could be done in a txting style - maybe you could put a touchpad underneath for their second to last fingers to use ?
Then its totally handheld and could be useful for gaming also...

Edrickson

Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 am

dont worry, i took the gaming into mind... hmm... i really should edit it to show what each button does... the mouse buttons are on the shoulders of the pad. the 2 larger circles are anaolgue sticks, like from a PSP controller. and the odd shaped one beneath the right analogue stick is a dpad. i took into mind kids might want to play games on it, so tried to make it gaming friendly, as well as practical for typing and work. research into the best layout is still being conducted.

thanks for the feedback neon22 :)

oh and yes, wide enough for 2 hands. it's about 150mm x 90mm x 28mm

Jessie

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 am

Quote from Edrickson on December 14, 2011, 02:03

Here is a handheld concept i'm currently playing around with. The idea is for it to cost as little as possible, so it still hasn't got a screen. However, all it needs is to be plugged into one. (An attachable screen will be designed later when I've settled on the design). It's aim is to help children aged 11-18 to interact and enjoy their raspberry pi. It would be great if i could get any feedback on it, as it's for a project and i want to start making it by January.

(colour scheme is a tiny bit on the feminine side at moment... still playing around with the colours, this is just a quick mock-up of it, nothing final yet).

Very nice, I like it. It would be even cooler with a digital d-pad under the left thumb and 6 face buttons on the right for some Street Figher and VS games. Or is that just me showing my age?

billio

Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:46 am

The Raspberry Pi may provide cheap processing but to make a useful and cheap application the issue is which peripherals could be used alongside it: screen, storage, data input.
I would like a small, cheap system in the kitchen which I can use to browse the web and local network storage for recipes, news, music etc. and have some functions like reminders, what's in the freezer/fridge and so on.
I have an HDMI television in the kitchen, I can easily run an internet cable from the router, an existing PC can be used as a file server, but what should I use for input ?.
An input device that is small, ideally remote from the Pi, and able to accommodate wet and sticky fingers ... what is that going to be ?.

RaTTuS

Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:40 am

Quote from billio on December 15, 2011, 08:46
An input device that is small, ideally remote from the Pi, and able to accommodate wet and sticky fingers ... what is that going to be ?.
wireless optical mouse ?
http://www.in10did.com/ ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

evozero

Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi All,
I would like to stream HiDef music & video to my TV and hifi.
Using one of those tiny wireless USB adaptors.
Cheers
Ian

fastR3l0ad3r

Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:28 am

as a cool flash drive

paulmorriss

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:20 pm

If someone cleverer than me can get USB OTG working (clues here http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....evice_mode) then I could make it pretend to be a flash drive and hook it up to an electronic photo frame. Then it could display useful things, like weather, traffic etc.

KuroSaru

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Im planning to build a small unit to house 4 x R-PI's, and make use of it as a small Hadoop/MapReduce cluster to do testing and development with while at my desk.

If someone could clarify if it is possible to power R-Pi from a Powered-USB Hub that would be of great help. if not ill look at a Power-Over-Ethernet style for powering them.

Prometheus

Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:37 am

Quote from KuroSaru on December 19, 2011, 21:48
If someone could clarify if it is possible to power R-Pi from a Powered-USB Hub that would be of great help. if not ill look at a Power-Over-Ethernet style for powering them.
I don't know if these are of any help, but I found a couple of threads about this here and here.

abishur

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Quote from KuroSaru on December 19, 2011, 21:48
Im planning to build a small unit to house 4 x R-PI's, and make use of it as a small Hadoop/MapReduce cluster to do testing and development with while at my desk.

I know it's OT for this thread but oh well a single post response is fine :P

As far as PoE goes, it cannot be directly achieved, but there are several good threads discussing a possible homebrew solution (which ultimately boils down to send power down ethernet then break it off before it gets to the board and send power to micro-usb power port) just use the search feature to look for Power over Ethernet (it won't does search strings of 3 or less characters so searching PoE will not return anything)

As for powering off a USB hub. In theory yes, it should be possible. It all comes down to a) where do you draw the power from (i.e. from one of the ports or do you bust it open and mod it) and b) how smart is the hub? If it's too smart it won't send more power down a port until it auto-negotiates for it, but the r-pi won't request more power until it has the more power (a chicken and egg issue). If however it's not too smart, then each port can draw as much current as the down end devices need up to the current rating of the PSU itself.

Hopefully that answers your question, definitely do some searching for one of the powering threads if you have more questions about it though!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

larsth

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:34 pm

I want to use R-Pi for:

A combined internet and SMS gateway. It should proivde an internet connection via mobile boradband. The Ethernet port on the R-Pi is connected to a router and a USB Blutooth 3.0 device. SMS gateway are provided via the Debian package, wich has a SMS gateway.
Have some fun with creating code for Linux (both kernel, and userspace).
A deep space navigation system, wich is using pulsars as ligthouses. About pulsars: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsar

psycho_moggie

Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:41 pm

An animatronic Bagpuss, with face tracking.

ds18s20

Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:25 am

So basically NO realistic HDMI player application given the low performance potential of the board? Did I see a BNC on pix or was that a cool 1978 joke they Photoshopped in?

abishur

Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:19 pm

Actually you're incorrect on all count (no offense) :P There board features an amazing GPU which will allow full HDMI High Def Players to work (please read the FAQs ) additionally, if I were a betting man, I'd wager a bet that you've mistaken the RCA Video output for a BNC connector. :)

Please check out our read before posting thread as it contains a wealth of information for people dropping by the site for the first time.

stewski

Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm hopeful that geexbox or similar will be as usable as xbmc is on my old pentium laptop, if nfs works as I hope, then my synology NAS is at my TV's finger tips at only 1W :-)

My main idea is for the name of the raspberry pi Version 2 (hopefully w gigE, maybe usb 3/esata and a newer ARM core) I suggest calling it pi-R-squared. Hopefully such a project will kick the other (similar spec) small arm devices I've seen, into touch on price again.

To the minor number of detractors about other peoples suggested projects and their likely application. I'd say be careful, you may look a little silly, when enough eyes see/work with something like this, it's hard to predict how useful and to what quality the applications will be.

abishur

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:47 am

The limiting factor on the peripherals side will ultimately be the SoC. It's hard to have a gigabit Ethernet when your bus speed is down in the USB 2.0 range ;)

As for xbmc, several months ago we were told that the xbmc team is taking a look at porting an ARM version of it. That said, there hasn't been any additional news since then. I think that they don't want to post any news until they are certain that it would be compatible. So we will just have to wait and see what happens :D

Amen on the application thought! Even if it's only immediately useful to you, that doesn't make it a stupid thing or worthless! It means that you made something that was good and useful to you :)

Side note, the 1W figure is outdated, it will be in the 2.5 to 3.5 watt range (depending on how many mAh you end up using with the device itself and any connected peripherals)

nickynoodles

Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 am

I'll be getting two or three of these for screen scraping prices from various travel supplier's sites. This is something we use multiple processes on a vastly overpowered 500W PC to do nightly at the moment. It seems like the perfect solution for screen scraping, which is network heavy and CPU light. Doing all this for <3W with little heat and no noise would be fantastic.

Hopefully Mono will be ported to compatible linux distros so I can port my existing C# code over.

For a personal project I'd like to figure out an Android phone controllable music server. A 60gb SSD hooked up to one of these as a music server, then others hooked up to various speakers around the house as clients, with the phone acting as the controller.

Then there's the idea of an 'info display' which would be a cheap HDMI display set in 10" photo frame with a R-PI on the back. This could show yesterdays website visits, current site visitors, twitter mentions, facebook likes, competitor actions, news, unread emails etc. Lots of possibilities with some scripting.

I can see a whole ebay sub-industry of cases to house projects that include these things springing up.

I think this is such a great project. Hardware has largely become a 'hands off' thing now, and this brings it back to the days of the BBC Micro, but with current specs. I can't wait order a few of them and tinker without caring if I write a few off. :)

Return to “General discussion”