siaho

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 am

Quote from radu on November 23, 2011, 00:18
ah, a question: with the multiple usb ports on the $35 board, could i plug a usb drive into one and run an operating system off of that, or should i use an SD card?
i have a 16 gig usb drive i'm not using, and i don't own any SD cards, so, well, hopefully my reason for asking is obvious

No, the OS MUST be on the SD card, it is loaded via some strange hack by the GPU, so you will need a small SD card to boot, although I guess you could do the actual booting from USB so long as you have the right boot loader on the SD card.

ok. good to know,

i assume (possibly incorrectly) that the system would work best using the SD card strictly for an operating system and loading most or all other files (especially multimedia) from the usb drive? or would accessing files from 2 locations slow things down?

CuriousG

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 am

I'd like to use it to listen to internet radio. It bothers me that I have to fire the big power hungry computer to listen to music. I'll feel a lot better if I can listen with a smaller power footprint.

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:47 am

forked-daapd for the music library.
Amazon (flash) video in the living room.
Remote workstation.
Development & Production servers for small web sites.
Games

And a few for the nephews/niece to learn something.

whiteshepherd

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:57 am

I have no alpha board so I will have to wait. :( But here are some plans I have for December. :)

1) I to see how "Green" I can go! I want to swap my busy production web server (450 watt PC Linux server) and convert it to run on a raspberry pi (I've already OS tested this under Ubuntu ARM and worked well). Since the Raspberry only uses 1 watt (that is .2 Amps*24hrs = 4.8 Amp hours/day) I plan to hook a compact 12AH lead acid battery (enough to power 2 1/2 days without any charge) and mount a cheap solar panel (harbor freight) in my bedroom window to recharge the battery during daylight hours. If the test server is stable for a week I'll make the switch. I'll then take pictures of the PI and post them on my website as an example of how technology can save money as well as important energy!

2) I want to interface the PI to my Radio Shack Sensors kit and write some Pascal Units so developers can easily code software to take readings from sensors and learn.

3) I also want to set up a bootloader on the SD card to create a "netboot" option to a small NAS drive. This would give much better performance for some applications than the SD.

radu

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:16 am

How are you going to connect it to your lead acid battery? I hope a switching power supply, right?
And you do realize that if you drain the battery too much, it's as good as gone, so make sure to monitor it every once in a while and not let it drop under ~11V.

akauppi

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:15 am

I will use them to prototype our automated community transport system's track-to-vehicle communications.

singapura

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 am

Reboot all my retro consoles by fitting them with Pi's.

JeTJL

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 am

Use it to screen Anime for my School's Anime Club.
Instead of bringing my Laptop to school. (Heavy relatively speaking for a small person (2.6kg) and overkill for screening videos)

Skygod

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:51 am

Quote from radu on November 23, 2011, 07:16
How are you going to connect it to your lead acid battery? I hope a switching power supply, right?
And you do realize that if you drain the battery too much, it's as good as gone, so make sure to monitor it every once in a while and not let it drop under ~11V.

Connection to the battery can be using a car power supply which will provide regulated 5V to the USB power connecter.

Regarding the battery, a 'standard' battery will be killed off quickly, so a 'deep-cycle' battery would be necessary. Getting the spec right will not be easy as these batteries prefer to be discharged between 10% - 20% before recharge and prices are quite high unfortunately.

I'm researching running something similar.

radu

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:31 am

The lead acid batteries prefer to not be discharged at all between charges. 20% is the maximum you should discharge it, or else it will suffer damage. If you want to use a car adapter, make sure it is switching, or else you are wasting more than twice the power in heat.

Desmon

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:30 am

movies....movies....movies....movies...on my tv ^^, no need to carry my huge ass desktop to it, or borrow my brothers laptop....or get a netbook for around 400$ :P

NormanDunbar

Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:36 pm

How would I use a Raspberry Pi device? Easy, like I used to use my ZX-81, Spectrum and QL (I still have 3 of those!) - for tinkering and playing.

My wife would like to hook it up to a camera of some sort, with motion detect/ IR detect etc, and see what wildlife we have running around our garden at night. I quite like the idea myself!

Cheers,
Norm.
Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Why did Tarzan never have a beard?

FeersumEndjinn

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm planning on using it as a webserver and if I can get the GPIO doing what I want it to (I know bash and bits of C++), I'm planning on using a second to upgrade my self-charging, GPS enabled robot from 32Mhz to 700Mhz :)

Maybe add some off-road ability to him as well, and replace his little wheels now that he's about to reach maturity!
Morrolan / FeersumEndjinn

"And the lord God said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life', but John came fifth and won a toaster."

bsmulders

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I was thinking about car diagnostics.

Connect the RasPi to my car's 12v charger plug, connect wirelessly (Bluetooth) to both an OBD-II (onboard diagnostics) and GPS device. Constantly log data (lat/long, car speed, gps measured speed, rpm, mpg, battery voltage) to the SD card.

When I come home, I hook the RasPi up to my TV using HDMI and use a WiiMote to control it. There I can see a map of my journey, I can zoom in and "replay" my trip whilst watching the logging data at that exact moment. So I can see myself on the map driving, with a speed readout, tachometer, which gear I was in, MPG etc.

Might by pointless to many, but I would find it marvelous.

I already have experience with NMEA (GPS protocol) and OBD-II (diagnostics protocol), Wiimote is also easy to me. The only thing I have no experience with is building a GUI in linux, that will be the hardest part. I might take a shortcut by doing a web-interface and a fullscreen browser.

Plus, the parts are cheap. €20 for both the GPS and OBD-II unit combined, another €10 for a Chinese Wiimote, another €3 for a USB bluetooth dongle.

whiteshepherd

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:36 pm

Radu I was thinking of using a common 6v acid battery if it's in the voltage tolerance of the PI (based on a previous post this will work). If not there are some commercial Japanese batteries at 5V. The other thought though a little more complex would be to get some NiMH batteries (very cheap on ebay) and build a small circuit for switching power and charging the batteries (more complex but would be more friendly to multiple cloudy days as well).

Old Frank

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:57 pm

Like Norman Dunbar I still have ZX81s (and a Jupiter Ace) that I used for controlling a buggy - now called a mouse. I want to try again with a Raspi in the hope of getting youngsters interested in control. They seem to be put off PICs and even PICAXEs by the programming. No stamina!
(Trouble-free youth is no preparation for old age - or even adulthood.)

radu

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:25 pm

I would not risk using a 6V battery without any converter to get a clean 5V output. Maybe the board will work fine at 6V, and if it breaks it's not that expensive. But are you willing to risk your TV/Monitor and other USB devices?

Pastychomper

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:22 am

I'd like to build the Raspi into a garden gnome/gargoyle with an infrared webcam & light in the head and a motorised turntable in the neck, so it can use motion-tracking software to 'follow' anyone passing by and send the pictures to a PC in the house. I think I'd leave out the Wallace & Gromit-style blinking LED, though. :)

My other (more likely) plan involves a dance mat, assuming I can get Stepmania to compile, and a lightweight web browser - in other words, a general-purpose and quiet PC. My other PC would then be configured to wake on LAN, so I could use X forwarding for anything the Raspi can't handle.

Signs

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Hmmm, What would I use a Raspberry Pi for?
Let me think?
I cannot think of 10,000 uses for it? Maybe my brain is limited to just a few hundred without the processing power of a Raspberry Pi.
At present I do have a need for about 100 of these little computers, however.
Wonder what it could be? Go to this site and press the F11 function key on your keyboard and see if you can figure it out.
http://rhonie.com/advertising/.....dwalk.html

Method

Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:28 pm

I'll teach myself ARM assembly with it, and force myself to program efficiently.

stewpot

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:42 pm

I'm planning taking the casing of an old 15" LCD screen and building some new casing to contain the raspberry pi and the screen. Mount it on my wall in my office then use synergy so that I can use it like another screen for watching movies while I do something else on my main computer.

sanyigz

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 pm

For net,video, music, file share, home server, dowloading etc(i wanted to use it as router with a simple switch, but with 1 ethernet it isn't possible). I want to use the 4 core desktop pc only when it's needed (games, or 3dmax).

rommel

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:09 pm

As a hobby photographer, I will have a wooden room divider with two integrated flat panels, resolution 1920x1080. One will be mounted landscape, the other portrait. I was looking at an option to display my portfolio images on these screens (default use case) and the ability to use these displays also as monitors for my webserver status (no. of connections, network & cpu load etc.) Since I do not need any video support, just transitions of images, maybe the Raspberry Pi is somewhat overkill, but I have not heard of any solution with FullHD output, that is in this price range. Hopefully I can get two items, once it is released. If you think this is overdimensioned or the first batch will not satisfy the demand, maybe you can point me in another direction. Any suggestions are appreciated. Of course I am looking for version B with Ethernet.

hstubbs3

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Version B rigged as a pip-boy style device?

Reiep

Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm going to build a tiny Arduino dev environment with a tiny screen and an integrated prototyping board.

Return to “General discussion”