MaK11-12

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:37 pm

- XMBC for media
- Libreoffice for office (if arm compatible, otherwise openoffice, or alternative)
- Dosbox for dos games and windows 95 emulation (for fun of course! Windows 95 on HD TV!)
- I'm debating browser used, but Opera uses much less resources.
- Snes9x and FCEUX to play my old SNES (super nintendo) and NES (nintendo) games on my HD TV! =D

So therefore, I'll probably use it for everything! =D

Mixxy

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 pm

Quote from abishur on August 4, 2011, 13:03
Not a bad idea. You could go one step further and have them literally be their own isolated network complete with AD authentication, SMTP, if you had a web design class they could provide an intranet, if not you could still have each student do a simple bio page on themselves and set the DNS to go to their site when you went to http://www.studentsname.com, and maybe a main page at something like http://www.aboutus.com

That would be an extremely cool class. Now that I think about it, why on earth didn't any of my very expensive college courses do anything like that when we were learning about networking, DNS, AD, or anything?

(plus if a course like this was offered in college a $25 go buy a r-pi fee would be one of the cheapest fees I EVER had to pay)

Great Idea, man ;) Just making a Smarter Planet!

nfw

Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:27 pm

There are two things that I'd like to do:

Use it as a media center for my living room TV
Use it as the brains behind a multi-touch screen coffee table

nomis

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:03 am

I would build a custom case, providing it would run cool enough, and carry it around with me. Maybe some sort of ChromeOS device. That would be quite neat!

Lob0426

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 am

So far as I have gathered, heat is not going to be an issue at all. It is hard to remember that the processor is based on the same ones used in cell phones. These processors are designed to run in a totally closed environment with no airflow at all. So design away!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Cafe

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:48 am

A Model A version of the Raspi can be used to make variations of these media players. Raspi's GPIO could help in supporting the remote control and the control buttons in the player:

Component output: http://amzn.to/mOQvDB
HDMI output: http://amzn.to/pvpnQL

[Edited to add HDMI output variation]

hordecore

Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:53 pm

A little processing farm to help find those little green men with SETI@Home :)

codemagician

Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:22 pm

What about a case-less embeddable version of the device (the "Raspberry Seed" ?) put one inside a fridge door with touchscreen... then can be used to do your shopping at the fridge door, but only on fridges that sport the Raspberry logo of course ;-)

Lob0426

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:12 pm

cafe: media player possibly video media?
hordecore: processor farm? Same as a cluster?
codemagician: imbedded device definitely!
All good projects for RasPi

vorrias

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:08 pm

Ok every idea was grate
Now some of mine
1 - @shiv How about making a full scale powerful burglar alarm?
@abishur your idea for making a USB controller. How about making an Ethernet/USB controller? You can have many remote RAS PI connected via Ethernet and locally can use the GPIO to connect to sensors/ relays or use you USB I/O idea. It will be grate for a home automation system (@weiqi) (burglar alarm, fire, whatever, all in one pakage). Not to bring many wires to a central place. Instead many Pi will send trough Ethernet all locally connected signals. some may have Ip cameras! (Only 1-2 firms have burglar alarm with Ethernet connection and they are expensive).
But now the better part.
2- Making it a powerful PLC controller.
This moment two projects are going on.
First and best but no without cost CODESYS Development tool based on Windows http://www.3s-software.com (If port it to PI will create a hole market) . PLS have a small run time code and can be any micro-controller. It is a German project and has a huge acceptance by the industry. Many firms use it. Not free but powerful.
Second beramiz project (http://www.beremiz.org) . Development tool based on Linux and windows. It is free and very good.

vorrias

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

I personally that moment interesed in bulding a full scale home automation system (burglar and fire alarm, water monitoring system, etc). Probable connecting the system with X10 and an ocean devices (http://www.enocean.com/de/home/). Both concerning home automation devices. it is a huge market.

abishur

Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:03 pm

I actually just started a project thread about using the GPIO to control some relays (for a sprinkler system). I like the idea of all the things we can do with the GPIOs, I almost feel like it will be a race to see who can design/document how to interact with them the quickest :P
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

vorrias

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:26 pm

@abishur do you actually have a Pi ? or building it with another ARM microcontroller and you plan to port it later to a PI? I like the idea ..

vorrias

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:56 pm

OK abishur I mised you post on August 15, 2011, 14:54. that explans all. The point is that we will get the boards late 2011. Is something to do until then?
I am interesting very mach in whatever project automation comes on. As i stated before i was just going to start learning bulding with atmel microcontrollers but know I have to wait I think.
I would like to see Pi to have a momentum like the Arduino project. Of cource you can do so many more with Raspberry Pi. I will be glad to share ideas.

abishur

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:47 am

oh how I wish I already had a R-pi! No, I'm just putting some skeleton framework up for projects I'm considering doing once we start getting the R-Pis.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Cool.Majkl

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:26 am

I have seen all the ideas in that topic and I mean all they are great. When I first heard about R-Pi I was sure to buy also one, because I'm studying high school with a focus on Information Technology, so for sure it would be very helpful. But now when I'm reading your posts, I concluded that I'll have to buy more of them.

1) As a web developer I would like to have one as webserver, for starting projects.
2) One I would like to have as fileserver connected to tv for streaming
3) Because I'm quite often on the way, I would like to have one as Portable PC. I have an Notebook but sometimes I really have to travel light and almost everywhere where I go, they have a TV with HDMI port.
4) i would really like to use one for some DIY project such as Tablet or maybe some Android based Mobile Phone or something like that.
5) As a device to school for programing.
6) Maybe as a GPS device for Geocaching.

It doesn't mean that I need 6 R-Pi devices, of course, that some devices are going to bemultipurpose. I'm really looking forward for my R-Pi devices.
I have an idea of the site, where would have been various DIY instructions. That would be just Awesome!

Greetings for Czech Republic.

Archangel5089

Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 am

I've did some work on AI swarming in virtual environments a while ago and it gave me some ideas; I'd like to network some of these together and see what I can do with distributed swarm :D

If someone wants something fun to just hack about with tho: http://xkcd.com/413/

Better than a Hamster!

Archangel5089

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am

Quote from Cool.Majkl on August 18, 2011, 11:26
1) As a web developer I would like to have one as webserver, for starting projects.

My old desktop is currently providing that but actually I found it's easier to just run a xampp stack (or lammp as it used to be in Linux) and just have a local copy. You don't have to ftp anything to run a test that way.

Also, Apache/MySQL can be quite slow to process (especially if you use something like Drupal CMS), chances are you would want more power than an R-pi to avoid developing madness :(

Cool.Majkl

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:53 am

Quote from Archangel5089 on August 18, 2011, 12:01

My old desktop is currently providing that but actually I found it's easier to just run a xampp stack (or lammp as it used to be in Linux) and just have a local copy. You don't have to ftp anything to run a test that way.

Also, Apache/MySQL can be quite slow to process (especially if you use something like Drupal CMS), chances are you would want more power than an R-pi to avoid developing madness :(

I already have an powerful VPServer for my projects and my clients, but I've meant to run LAMP for example on that fileserver. To test there websites before even putting them to the VPS and also , and that is most important, to get a new expirience with server running on Linux. Because the VPS I did set up with few of my co-partners, but i would like to use it to get the expirience :)

Lob0426

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Looks like Cool.Majkl needs to build a couple that have some sort of universal plug in connector. Say for the USB, Ethernet and power. The software changes would just be changing out the SD card.

Lob0426

Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Looks like Cool.Majkl needs to build a couple that have some sort of universal plug in connector. Say for the USB, Ethernet and power. The software changes would just be changing out the SD card.

hordecore

Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm

I can imagine a whole bunch of SD's marked Speccy etc. Having optimized OS for each particular use whether emulating the golden oldies or just optimized for playing poker or learning programming through Python etc.

Archangel5089

Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:32 pm

I have to say, I like the idea of being able to switch out the SD cards like cartridges... Fire it up and you're straight into a different software suite or (micro!) server config.

I especially like the media server idea someone had, then when you're not using it you can change SD cards and run a test server instead via the TV.

Cool.Majkl

Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:25 pm

That's really great idea! You could do bunch of things with Raspi if you could swap SD cards.

RobinJ

Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:09 pm

I'd probably buy one to test how it works first, and when it turns out to be a good product I'd buy a second one. Then the first could be standing inside my room, and the second one would be used to carry around.
The one standing in my room I'd use to download things, as it consumes much less power than my laptop. I'd just install openssh-server on it so I can login from my laptop to add new tasks, and a kind of FTP server so I'd be able to transfer the downloaded stuff to my laptop when I need it. This way I don't need to buy an extra monitor. As the raspie is so small I don't assume it makes too much noise either, so I can just leave it running at night (I really hope it doesn't get overheated or anything).
The second one I'd carry around with me to places like school. As I really don't feel like taking my laptop to school, 'cause I don't want anything bad happening to it.

Quote from Archangel5089 on August 18, 2011, 15:32
I have to say, I like the idea of being able to switch out the SD cards like cartridges... Fire it up and you're straight into a different software suite or (micro!) server config.

I especially like the media server idea someone had, then when you're not using it you can change SD cards and run a test server instead via the TV.
Haven't thought of that yet. Will come in very handy as well. Thanks for the hint! :D
Rule #1: If a human tries to argue with a logical device like a computer, the device always wins.
Rule #2: A big bucket of water, window, or hammer can nullify Rule #1.

Return to “General discussion”