SlayingDragons

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Another thing to add to my comprehensive list of things that I'll do with them is configure a series of them to typical network setups and try to hack them. Like setting up a couple in a standard home network and seeing how much data I can get in a certain amount of time, or setting them up as servers with varying securities and trying to take over as many as possible. :D

I can see the raspi being very useful to network security classes for real-life simulations.

geeus

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:36 pm

something that small and cheap I like the idea of soft electronics I think I would sow it inside some baggy jeans with a in arm mounted lcd and some sort of finger operated HID (human interface device). lots of leds have to be used on the gpio ports.
Gee The Rabid Inventor :)

sourcejedi

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:39 am

Thanks for the project, and the forums etc!

Warning: I'm going for the boring uses. Like a cheap & very power-efficient USB-NAS for backups. I can't justify it on that alone, though.

Other (speculative)ideas -

HTTP proxy (polipo) - I use this a bit already. Pdnsd. Apt proxy. Transparent local mirrors of certain websites.

Offline-IMAP + dovecot. SMTP (relay to ISP - in case of outages).

Occasional Bittorent.

Clean shutdown - when the home "router" goes off, PI can bring up the noisy hard disk and shut down; once the disk spins down, you know it's then safe to remove power.

I want security-only updates. Ubuntu isn't available, so I was looking at Debian stable. If Fedora works though, F15 with systemd (fast boot) is tempting.

Hopefully I can contrive a fast migration from Raspberry PI + SD-root to QEMU, so I can keep everything running when I want to try some experiments. (rsync; stop services; rsync; failover; start services).

I will try it as an always-on shared internet terminal. mem=256M is a challenge - I just tried it on my netbook (Ubuntu 11.04). No Firefox or Android. No Chromium (maybe if I restrained myself from multiple tabs? but it doesn't look promising). Epiphany seems to work, although the history/bookmark interface is not quite as convenient.

I didn't have Dillo (and they've just "improved" it by disabling third-party cookies; the documentation doesn't provide any way of enabling them).

I'll be ashamed if I can't at least run it as an email terminal. That should be fairly useful on its own.

JaffaBoy

Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:53 pm

Well lots to learn first, but a project...

If it can be linked to a (cheap) lcd screen, then a fridge mounted device as a family noticeboard, chores list for kids ;-) and it's biggest function (assuming I can get i/o)..... if someone leaves the fridge door open more than 30 seconds it screams!!

abishur

Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Good news! The r-pi features ~16 GPIO pins for us to bit hack our way to i/o happiness ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

R4V3N0U5

Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:43 pm

I'll be using the device as an XBMC HTPC and possibly a lightweight desktop for basic computer use.
The fact that not only is it small, but it's low power and will be friendly to open source software makes it even better.
I honestly can't wait.

Burngate

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 am

What would be the potential for a SETI@home system on RasPi?
I'm thinking: set up a R-Pi, always-on and networked to my router. Then it just trundles along on its own, full-time doing SETI@home, or protein-folding, or or any other distributed computing project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.....g_projects) you fancy. Means you don't need to leave your windoze-box on and idling to take part in it.
Naturally, the software would need porting (and I'm not capable of that - I know my limits!) but it seems to fit with the general feel of the R-Pi movement

Powerpuff

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:15 pm

I’m thinking about hacking old CRT monitors on their way to the junkyard and reviving them with a Ras-Pi device. It would be environmentally friendly and a solution for providing cheap access to a PC in developing countries.
Only problem would be reverting to analog video out. How expensive do you guys think it could get?

kelytha

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:32 pm

Probably more expensive as a cheap DVI screen. :(

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 am

I’ve been debating with myself whether or not to post on this thread. There are some really cool ideas here (it took me about 4 days to read through everything) but I feel that just getting one of these boards and using it solely for me would be missing the point a bit (as an adult anyway). With projects that have charitable goals I expect that a lot free work for the greater good has gone on behind the scenes (and continues to).

I am thinking something along the lines of volunteering to demonstrate the RasPi to kids in schools and colleges. The aim being that they see what can be done and then go and buy a Raspberry Pi themselves. So I would need to have a good understanding of how they work first before I could do that. Maybe a few months of tinkering would be enough.

Some kind of bonkers publicity stunt involving a Raspberry Pi also came to mind. Something that would at least make local news if not national. Something to think about?! I grew up in the 80’s and I remember having a really cool toy called a Big-track. Anyone else have one? It was basically a six wheeled car that you could program the movements of using a keypad on its back. I used to set up obstacles in my bedroom for it and try and work out the instructions to get through. Anyway, the toy only uses a few motors and magnets to control the movement and it occurred to me it could be possible to replace the onboard logic board with a Raspberry Pi! This would allow much longer and more complex programs to be stored and run. It would be totally insane but very cool to drive a Big-track from say Land End to John O'Groats! Imagine the media attention that would get, sounds like something James May from Top Gear would do. Maybe around the M25?!

One post on this thread really stood out for me and that was JoeTarrant’s post on the 24th of August (page 14 above). I’m in South Africa at the moment and while it is quite a cosmopolitan country in places like Johannesburg other areas a very underprivileged and would certainly benefit from the introduction of such a low cost computer. While it may not be possible for every child to own one it would certainly be possible for schools to buy at least a few of them. I showed the Raspberry Pi site to some lads that are cousins of my fiancée over here. Aged 16 and 20 they both immediately wanted one. These lads are not computer geeks or anything either, they’re both into surfing and motor bikes. They both started coining ideas and applications for the RasPi without me having to do anything! The older of the two wanted to use one as a data logger for his bike engine to help with performance tuning.

I can also see an actual economic use for them too. One of my fiancées relatives has a family business where he builds security door installations for banks. This is a kind of three door (or more) entry/exit system to the bank to prevent crime. You have to open the first door, go into the chamber, close the first door before the second door opens and so on. If something untoward occurs the offender can be trapped in one of the chambers by an alarm inside the bank. They use custom logic boards to control the doors at the moment and these each cost a lot more than a RasPi. I expect it should be possible to get a RasPi to control relay switches to emulate the same behaviour. It would also mean they could add more doors to the system without having to make a new custom logic board. On top of that too it opens up possibilities for remote control from computers inside the bank, or notifications and alerts raised to a user’s desktop. All kinds of extra features can be offered. Keeping a log of everything would certainly be useful too.

Anyway, I when I get one for myself I will probably do the usual things of getting the samba client going so Windows PCs can see it. Try and print from it, remote desktop it etc. I may do a post in the projects thread regarding the bank doors use above. I’ve also got the QT Creator so I might see if I can make a few fun little animations to stretch the RasPi graphics a bit. I’m really looking forward to getting one.

flipdewaf

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:01 am

Quote from Davespice on October 28, 2011, 10:17

I think some publicity stunt would be quite a good idea, perhaps a scrapheacp challenge type thing. Some expert programmers (perhaps along with some skilled fabricators/robotics guys to make it more widely apealing) are given some time to do something exciting with a raspberry pi to show off its abilities.

Fred

gbl08ma

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm going to be short in this: after playing around with a model B and see all the sorts of things a it can do, I would connect a USB-RS232 converter to the Raspberry Pi and the other end to a simple terminal I have with a text LCD screen and 15 keys.
Then, my python script that displays weather, emails, news, system load, network information and much more on the terminal would run on the Pi, and let it update the terminal with useful information. Of course, the Pi would need to be networked for News/Twitter/Emails/Weather/Etc..

At the same time (and this part would already require a USB hub), connect a USB printer (or USB-LPT converter, because my printer is old) and do printer sharing over the network - no more need to turn on a full desktop to print something from e.g. my phone.

Either all this, or plan B, if the Pi proves to be a good enough media center: connect it to the living room TV, get a USB remote control and done! - the web media on my living room (it'd be particularly exciting to get Boxee working on the Pi, or at least, XBMC).

Of course, once I have one of these devices in hand... lots of other things will come to my mind, I'm sure.

j0z0r

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:24 pm

I want to make a MAMEboy kinda thing. Use the GPIO lines to drive an appropriate cell phone screen and also to read button inputs, find an acceptable battery solution, and get the software actually working. An extra bonus would be a RepRap or MakerBot printed case that fit perfectly and brought to mind the aesthetics of the original Gameboy...
Other ideas that I've had but already seen:
Carputer
Media Center
Low power desktop

RoDuS

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 pm

For everything. At first replace my nightstand gadget (android 7" pad w/usb mouse and keyboard, unfortunately it doesn't support usb game pad, touch screen NES or any console is more hassle than it's worth) mp3/video, console emulation, email, surf, open office, alarm clock app, More mature ARM Skype app... with 7" hdmi portable TV screen (ARM/Linux FM radio usb dongle?). Once perfected, another of the same for the wife's nightstand. In the kitchen packed with recipes and food/drink related video plus food expiration/inventory tracking app, All wired to the DC solar power. Cant forget the baby's room w/baby Einstein/genius video edu/mp3 songs, maybe install one inside my old 13" TV. Replace the bathroom pc old ipaq p3 w/10" screen (i call it $h1#er-net). not sure what distro/port. Debian would be my favorite, XBMC would be nice, puppy Linux would be an awesome port, android could be interesting, DOS or original Master of Orion game, lol. (Could even be incorporated into my invention "Micro solar gen" on instructibles w/7" screen, Google it if your into solar power. could be a real winner with GPS, wireless mouse/keyboard, keep an eye out for "Micro solar gen 2.0"). RasPi will probably replace my 30w Zotac box and Acer Aspre One. Motion activated web cam security device potential. Do they make a weather staion dongle? Unlimited potential!!! as for the future: A few RasPi and sd card generations from now...... when 32gig SD cards are thought of as the old 32mb cards of yesterday, offline Wikipedia and archive org on SD, now there's a compendium of human knowledge and creativity combine it with a stack of learning apps and your set. And i got a few ideas for cases....

SlayingDragons

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:33 pm

Here's yet another thing. A couple friends I have are really into paintball, and come up with all kinds of crazy battle plans and such. These plans are pretty much equivilent to the 1800's style of fighting. I want to throw some modern warfare in there however, and the raspi could be perfect for it.

So I was thinking of buying a cheap RC plane, then setting up the raspi on it with a wireless dongle and infared-capable webcam which would broadcast the video feed back to my laptop on ground. With the raspi on board, there's also the possibility of programming routes, or interfacing with/dynamically reprogramming a microcontroller, and having object detection with GPS to tell where the enemies are then displaying them on a radar made in pygame or something. All the networking would be ad-hoc, of course, which would make it easy to add more planes or other assorted vehicles or traps. This would be an interesting twist imo. :P

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:40 pm

GPS? Feh. I really love Airsoft (not to the disturbing gun-collecting degree, but enough that I'll happily lie on my tum in a bed of nettles in an abandoned airbase for an evening waiting to snipe another team - these things work really well out here in East Anglia, and I'm always sorry when the nights get too long for post-work evenings shooting pellets at people). And GPS, RC planes and video feed would *kill the fun dead* for me. Modern warfare can go and get bent; where's the joy in being shown where everyone is?

(ETA: Yes, I know it's not very feminine. Bite me.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

SlayingDragons

Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Quote from liz on October 28, 2011, 22:40
GPS? Feh. I really love Airsoft (not to the disturbing gun-collecting degree, but enough that I'll happily lie on my tum in a bed of nettles in an abandoned airbase for an evening waiting to snipe another team - these things work really well out here in East Anglia, and I'm always sorry when the nights get too long for post-work evenings shooting pellets at people). And GPS, RC planes and video feed would *kill the fun dead* for me. Modern warfare can go and get bent; where's the joy in being shown where everyone is?

(ETA: Yes, I know it's not very feminine. Bite me.)

Pfft, well that's like, your opinion, man. :P

I think both ways are fun.

(And gender expectations are dumb, who cares if it's not very feminine? )

liz

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't know - I've been totally dismayed at the gender balance on view at these forums, and among the hardware enthusiasts at the conferences I've been to. One of the things I'd really like to be able to address with Raspberry Pi (as would the other guys working with the project - I just have a vested interest, what with the chromosomes and everything) is the gender imbalance in tech. I don't know how we can get started (although I have a lot of ideas), but it's becoming more and more evident that it's something we really need to prioritise when we start our schools outreach.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

SlayingDragons

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Quote from liz on October 28, 2011, 23:08
I don't know - I've been totally dismayed at the gender balance on view at these forums, and among the hardware enthusiasts at the conferences I've been to. One of the things I'd really like to be able to address with Raspberry Pi (as would the other guys working with the project - I just have a vested interest, what with the chromosomes and everything) is the gender imbalance in tech. I don't know how we can get started (although I have a lot of ideas), but it's becoming more and more evident that it's something we really need to prioritise when we start our schools outreach.

Yeah, it is a bit... Weird. I guess hardware hacking and tech/programming in general is just seen as something only "nerdy" guys do, just because of culture. But, likewise, I don't see any way to really start changing it. Hopefully the raspi can help make it a bit more even, because while guys are cute and all, girls are more fun to be around. :P

There is a decent amount of girls in web design though. Still pretty imbalanced, but yeah.

Mind sharing any ideas? I'd love to give demos to elementary/middle school students, and probably will in the future, so anything you have in mind I'd love to hear. :D

antony

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 pm

I evaluate new devices for Atlas probe http://atlas.ripe.net .The model B with a NIC is interesting. The requirements are a modern Linux kernel and a distribution, 10/100 Mbit NIC and preferably draw power from usb; though 700 mA is on the higher side still interesting. I would love 512 M Byte RAM too.

Nightwing2012

Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:15 am

Did some work for the Oil and gas industry on remote monitoring/corrosion a while back.

Either:
1) 2 to 3 at a location self checking and if one fails the other switch over. Usually one box now.
2) More of them to cover and catch problems and do corrosion control along a pipe line.

The reason is some areas where pipe's go through. You can't get a crew in there except limited times of the year. And more units could cut the cost of maintenance down.

The interesting thing is just as the Personal Computer of the 70's revolutionized of using processing power. A low but powerful for the cost very small board lens itself to solving and filling niches that can't or are too costly with current items.

The other is a small computer for love one to stay in communication or whatever with. If damage its not a lot to repair or just replace it. If the "SD" is damage by viris etc. Just replace and off you go.

Nithrer

Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 am

I don't know if something like this is possible (or even convenient!), but i think that could be a cool idea to stick a small keyboard, a LCD TFT screen and a battery, to make some sorth of miniature computer/pocket calculator (AFAIK, the collective cost of the components needed to build this would be far less that to buy a graphing calculator...)

Oxwivi

Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 am

Eh, I would use it as a regular PC. I'm sick of sticking to Pentium IV all these years.

stuporhero

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:06 pm

I'm thinking of using one as a CD Ripping appliance, which will run flac/cdparanoia and a musicbrainz lookup to auto-tag and rip any CDs I put into my USB CD Drive. May even network it with my server for distributed processing (it rips, server encodes)

s1oan

Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 am

I'll probably connect the Raspberry-Pi to a small FM radio transmitter to listen to internet radio. If my router can supply enough power through the USB port It will be perfect.
Thanks to the console interface of vlc I'll control it with a simple telnet. :)

Return to “General discussion”