Yoda007

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 am

I want one for xbmc and one for a small "always on" ftp server.

Is it possible to connect a webcam to the Pi and then set some sort of http server that I could access it from anywhere (with login ofc. i wouldnt want anyone else using it). Is that what all webcams can do and which programs besides httpd would I need to set that up ?

crundy

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:00 am

Yoda007 said:

Is it possible to connect a webcam to the Pi and then set some sort of http server that I could access it from anywhere (with login ofc. i wouldnt want anyone else using it). Is that what all webcams can do and which programs besides httpd would I need to set that up ?

There's a thread discussing using an R-Pi as a security camera system which might help:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....era-system

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 pm

DavidR said:

Hope to use it as a media centre and an alarm clock to wake me up for uni, would be great if it had speech recognition so i could just ask it whats the weather like, would save buying an iphone lol

I suppose as a student, looking out of the window to check the weather would be pointless, as it will be dark (I presume students are still nocturnal? They were in my day). And presumably the alarm is to wake you up just in time for happy hour?

Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

grumpyoldgit

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 pm

You need to pick up a few ideas from Wallace and Gromit. If it can't make & butter toast and wash & dress you, I would send it back.

Midnight Caller

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:25 pm

I"m tempted to put one in my old Commodore PET Education Computer and get a Commodore 64 emulator for it, and I may put one in my old Macintosh 512k and get a emulator for it to run the old Apple Macintosh Software.

I would want to buy a couple of them or more that is the Raspberry Pi (B) model.
Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying

iceman_3233

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 am

I like to use the Raspberry Pi for pen testing. Small enough and mobile is the key. Just eager and waiting like the rest of us.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

DavidR

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 am

JamesH said:

I suppose as a student, looking out of the window to check the weather would be pointless, as it will be dark (I presume students are still nocturnal? They were in my day). And presumably the alarm is to wake you up just in time for happy hour?

Ha yeah students don't change. Was watching Iron Man the other day and saw the part where Tony Stark is woken up by JARVIS, he gives him weather reports, latest news and ofcourse surf conditions. I thought that would be brilliant if the RPI could do that.

Aquarius

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:23 am

Hello all !

I intend to us the Raspi as an MPD server to feed high quality music to a USB Hifi D/A converter. I've been using a home-built HTPC for this task (Atom, nvidia ION, spdif out) for some time, but the flexibility required by such a tool (home theater, music, general purpose computer in the living room, skype... you name it) makes it ill-suited for hifi use (mixing/ resampling needs to be banished, audio processes needs real time priority...).

So I intend to use the raspi as a MPD server connected solely to the network, and to the D/A converter.

fire219

Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm

Android 4.0 ("Ice Cream Sandwich") tablet with 32" screen! >: D

Maybe some screwing around with Debian and other Linux distros.

wozarib

Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 pm

I plan on grabbing 2 or 3 of these. 1 for a LAMP setup, so I can do some localised testing, and 1 for an XBMC setup. perhaps a 3rd to go in the car for in-car audio stuffs. At the price they're able to push these out at, I can see myself scooping up more in the longrun for some home projects

cerebralentropy

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:46 pm

This would be perfect for Digital Signage. Now I just need to find the software that fits my needs and works in the Pi.

SN

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:39 pm

As an NSLU2 (slug) replacement - this was the near perfect solid state Linux device and could be got almost as cheap as the raspi

But raspi wins on a number of counts:-

1. HDMI output - in fact ANY video output

2. Memory - slug is only 32Mb I think

3. Speed - slug only as a 133Mhz chip in it (could be clocked to 266Mhz)

4. Restartability - the slug bizarrely wouldn't restart on a power outage without h/w intervention

If people are looking for things to do with the raspi have a look at the slug website over at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

S0litaire

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Until i learn how to program my R-Pi will be a simple file-server and Calibre ebook library for myself.

Got lots of technical and training PDF's & Docs, so would be nice to have them all in a single location that's Kindle/Ebook ready without bogging down the device.

I've added them all to my kindle in the past and it took an AGE to search for anything (5 mins to do a simple title search!!).

With them being on a server instead the searches will be a lot quicker and then i just need to download the required books.
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

joshhodgson

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 pm

My first one is going in a server chassis I'm working on to replace the beasty HP Compaq dx6100 to run as file, torrent, and web server (I only get about 100 hits on a good day).

The second may go to separate the web/file system above, or may go into a time-lapse machine to be mounted on a family member's house overlooking the countryside (they don't know about this yet).

Third one (hopefully around May, which is when I start learning to drive) would go in my car. Wifi music syncing, bluetooth phone control, and GPS satnav/logging. I remember some satnav manufacturer had a bluetooth car monitoring unit, which may be worth a go.

mas956

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:11 am

RASPBMC, ftw!!!

phreon

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:49 am

I will love it and nourish it and clean its litter bit box and teach it to be a good server/media blaster/torrentista/linux princess it was ment to be. Or I may not get in line early enough and then my Dockstar will continue to be my arm monkey lover.

Beta-guy

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 am

I'm going to create a recovery image of the SD card for the pi, when I'll use the pi for experimenting and learning about how to use Linux. one day, I'll avoid Windows and OSX like the plague.

once I have that down, I'll set it up as a server or something...

dilligaf1701

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:33 am

I am going to use my Pi as an accessible pc that I can take round with me.

Most of the time all I need is a pc that can do office - email type stuff so it'll be ideal

Just got to see if I can get it to talk (screen reader) to me and all will be good

russ wall

Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 am

install KOHA, see if it works ok, then pop the pi in a bag and send it here! If the kids can't read, how on earth are they going to learn to program? The Pi can help do both. Fab!

pietari-poika

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:49 am

I'm gonna try at least these things:

-media player (with raspbmc or openelec, http://openelec.tv/news/item/2.....-supported)

-python programming platform, games

-some kind of server/NAS perhaps

Also, a DIY alarm clock would be cool. You could set an alarm, and (possibly with Gertboard) the Pi would gradually turn on some lights and play peaceful music... or just blink the lights epileptic disco style and blast some heavy metal to your sleepy ears.

Chris.Rowland

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 pm

An alarm clock would be good, you could use it to wake yoursef up tomorrow morning to get a Pi

Stoneburner

Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:21 pm

MUD/Chat Server

Gopher Server

Boinc/Seti@Home

To Run Open Source Astrogation Software for Launch into Low Earth Orbit.

supra5mge

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:00 pm

I am going to use it as a primary multimedia device. I have a lot of .mkv files that won't play on any console that I own. I don't want to move my huge 'ol computer next to the TV. I will attach a terabyte or two external HDD and use a wired ethernet connection.

As far as a case goes I don't know yet. The thought of using an old VCR case is amusing and a good conversation piece. It could hold the components I need. I could also make a smaller case that would house a smaller external HDD and bring it with me on my travels. This is going to be fun!

tonybkent

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:09 pm

TV-based web browser / webmail device
TV-based Skype-device
Junior-programmer-maker(!)
Games server (Minecraft...)

When I get the chance to buy a couple of these, I'd like to get one plugged into the HDMI port of the family TV (or a spare TV) with a wireless keyboard and mouse so it can be used for checking webmail and some basic browsing.

I wonder if it would be able to run Skype for Linux?  If so, a webcam on top of the TV would make a cheap video-calling solution.

My kids would probably want to run a Minecraft server on one, but I'd rather encourage them to use it to program!  My 9-year old has been learning VB.NET at home, writing a simple Battleships-type game, but it's a drag having to start up his laptop and wait for Visual Studio Express to start up.  Raspberry Pi would seem to give better options for a beginner like him.

I'm happy with wired LAN for now as I completely understand that WiFi is going to be expensive to add in at first.  Personally speaking my router is close to the TV in the lounge, but LAN over the home power supply will be fine in many homes, although it's an additonal expense.

spidalack

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 pm

I have a few ideas in mind, but the first thing I intend to use one for is to control one or more arduino boards. (www.arduino.cc)  Another pretty nice open hardware project.

I think it should make a pretty powerfull brain for controling a bunch of those. I then intend to use that for some home automation projects I have. Should be pretty interesting.

Return to “General discussion”