nickj

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:01 am

Putting some ideas out there that I'd love to see come into existence:

Put one next to the bin/fridge. Hardware needed is a usb barcode scanner, and 3 position switch (one position for "adding", one for "throwing out - re-order", and one for "throwing out - no more") connected via usb. Every time you throw something away or have just bought something, scan it, with the switch set appropriately. Unit has a web interface for showing the household inventory and shopping list. Can manually edit this list. Connects to Internet to an open database to look up what barcodes correspond to. Print the list when you need to go shopping. Unit could show cheapest nearby supermarket or home delivery service based on items in shopping basket. Could also suggest meals that could be cooked with available ingredients in pantry, and link to recipes for those meals. Could also suggest ingredients for purchasing that would most increase variety of meals that could be cooked. Possible codename: Raspberry punnet.

As Warringer said: Getting an USB2.0 RAID box to set up a small NAS/Media Server. Although I'd go further, and like it if the unit had SATA connections on board (preferably 6), and then a manufacturer could integrate this into a SATA HDD docking station with slots for 6 disks. Then add a software layer to automate adding and removing disks, some LEDs to indicate drive status, and make it all hackable, and **fingers crossed** you might get something like a Drobo box (RAID NAS that's very easy to add and remove drives), but at a tiny fraction of the cost, and using all open source software RAID, and avoid the USB 2.0 speed bottleneck. Possible codename: Shared Pi RAID.

Put one inside a small glider, with solar cells for power, some smart software, launch it near a large thermal updraft, iteratively refine the design every time it crashes, and see if it's possible to make something that can autonomously stay in the air continuously for more than 1 year. Belongs in the "because it was there" category - just seems like an interesting challenge. Possible codename: Sky high Pi.

david13lt

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:12 am

Some of the ideas:
- It's very good for a Web of Things. I would use it as replacement for the Gumstix Overo COM's in our smart electricity metering module. It would substantially lower the price of the module. 256 MB, Ethernet connector, SD cards + some Wi-Fi dongle should do the trick. The current solution costs more than $200+ for HW. Of course some kernel, boot loader, and rootfs images building toolkit would be a nice thing (e.g., bitbake && OE metadata collection).
- Ballooning and kite areal photography would be a nice thing to do.
- Home server (External HDDs, Printers, etc.)
- I remember a huge cluster of Gumstix with 1 millions virtual machines running for networking testig purposes. It would be nice to check how much extremely small Linux OSs could be run on a single R-P. R-P might be used in universities or in research to create huge and cheap virtual computer environments for testing.

I spend quite a lot of time on wireless stack on Linux to make some things works for myself. It would be nice if you could add suggestions for Bluetooth and Wi-Fi modules that would work the best with stock OS version for R-P. Include such things as Mesh, Ad-Hoc, AP/Master, Managed mode supports, power saving support (PSM), etc.

CdOg

Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:46 am

MAME Arcade.
Intelligent photo frames with touch. That has alarm and weather and road info.
Maybe RFI sensor so you can mount around the house and it can sense were you are so it can alert you to incoming E-MAIL's or RSS feeds.

Matttt

Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:30 pm

I'd like to use it as an IRC bouncer, media server, cheap general use Linux pc, etc.

I will probabpy buy at least 2 :)

GAEvakYD

Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:09 am

I'd like to use it as replacement of my EnergyCounter, currently working on my TP link router. I've solderd a phototransistor to a unused GPIO port of the router, but that's the only one. I needed a couple of GPIO ports to also monitor gas, water, temp, etc etc.

The router runs a custom C program that pushed the values in a seperate thread to a external database. A webserver will render some HighCharts: http://www.ordelman.org/energycount/

Still al lot to do....

tom_jones

Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:54 pm

I think i would use it as the brains for my version of the MAAHR project over on letsmakerobots.com.
get the R-Pi to run the software for maahr and it would lower the cost significantly.

the MAAHR link is http://letsmakerobots.com/node/26471

eivl

Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

I will modify an old NES controller and build the A inside the controller. the NES cable will just be a HDMI cabel =) PLug and play!

Jayson

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:12 pm

A sort term use would be great chirstmas pressents :)

Long term i was thinking of attaching motors and servos and a HD webcam to a telescope and link them to a RPi and have a remote telescope system so i can look at the night sky and stay warm :) and maybe stream it over the net for other people and even let them control the telescopre remotely.

thepanoguy

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:59 am

With the growing popularity of DLNA capable digital TV’s and the WDTV Live, the Broadcom BCM2835 will find an immediate market niche as a dedicated low cost video server directly connected using a HDMI cable or a LAN crossover cable.

SlayingDragons

Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:33 am

Pfft, the list could go on forever:

>Media server
>Core of a simple wardriving setup
>As a dedicated synth (Have it set up in an MIDI controller with lmms or zynaddsubfx running, possibly with a touchscreen interface)
>RFID-based media player (Interface for media server? )
>Solar-powered desktop for the apocalypse

I mean, at $20~, I could just start running everything in my house based on this board. XD

acidRain

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:01 am

Quote from hoshi on August 31, 2011, 11:27
you should make a special game emulator version as in already with pretested working nes, gba, gbc, n64, ps2, etc... also you should make an interface for controllers maybe even as a low cost mobile world of warcraft computer id love it
it would be a hit with alot of gamers
other than that i would say you guys should just make it into a mobile computer kinda like a DSI with a full keyboard and a trackpad (like the motorola backfilp has where your finger would be either on the left or right side,

Thats a great Idea, but i think your missing the point: the whole purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to learn, or teach yourself how to do this type of things. Thats the real beauty of this: Its the ability to build small systems that do big things that you've always dreamed about, but never had the knowledge or funds to fufill. The greatest part though, is that they are graciously doing this as non-profit, for $25 or $35. To me, this is the opportunity I've waited for since i first used a computer at the age of 5.

And to that, i dearly wish there was a donation fund, as these will be worth a lot more to me then $25 or $35, and I'd love to give back to them. Perhapse a donation fund @ checkout when there is a release in November? Even if it wasn't for the Raspberry Pi team, you could set up like a sponsorship for people who need some for group projects? Like they pledge to make something useful to the community, and then they are donated on good faith, sortof like Kickstarter. Hell, I should listen to what I'm saying: If you guys dont want to do this, I'll try to, even pay into it myself.

obarthelemy

Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:39 am

As far as I know, there will be a "Buy 1- Give 1" and a "buy 1 with extra donation" program right from the start.
There's a lot of interest in game emulators. This obviously will not be an official Pi endeavour, but I'm pretty sure the community will quickly come up with premade packages.

Eremius

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Projects:

1) Web development server.
Blah, blah, boring.

2) CNC controller
I just acquired a CNC mill and lathe that use an *ancient* PC for controlling. I would like to replace that PC and use a RasPi

Future projects:
-Media player for bedroom TV
-Server for webcam

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 pm

There will be a donation fund as well as a buy-one-give-one scheme. All this sort of info is in the FAQ.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

gweijers

Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Low-power status display for a large-ish solar cell deployment. It's currently running on an old PC, wasting >50 watts 24/7 displaying some graphs. Ideally set it up so the display goes into power save mode from 10PM to 7AM when noone is watching, saving even more.

Gozzin

Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Place it in an intricate box and surf the net...These would be great in guest rooms instead of a tv.

petemcfc

Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:36 pm

I can see Bill Gates gaining a few grey hairs from this project.
Im hoping to run to run XBMC or GeeXboX on one.
With a usb mouse and usb wireless dongle.I can stream from my HTPC or modded Xboxes to the bedroom TV.

alephnull

Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 pm

I have started a small Beowulf project using 6 HD Optiplex computers. I am interested in seeing how I could incorporate Raspberry Pi devices in the project.

max1zzz

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 pm

My plan is to use it with a modded portable dvd player (giving me both a 8.4" screen and a 3.8Ah 7.2V NiMH battery) to create a sort of tablet, which i can remove the rpi from and connect it to another screen (but still use the dvd player tablet as a battery) this creates a small light device that is perfect to take to school (used for typing in lessons and of corse i won't be playing games instead of doing work... :-) ), also this will stop me braking another laptop, i can afford to replace a rpi, but not annother laptop.

Shish

Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:52 pm

Installing software on them then giving them away:

Super high-tech birthday / christmas cards; pre-loaded with shiny / interactive opengl animations
Add easily-modified source code to the above, and it becomes a card *and* a gift of a "my first programming kit"
Install demo versions of our company's software on them, give them out to potential clients; like a liveCD with the bonus that we can know the hardware

Fun things:

Back-end to a giant display in the office showing our server stats and such
Flashing lights and sirens if our servers go down
With a USB-powered laser*, and some light detectors, all sorts of laser-tag suits and accessories could happen /o/
* I'm guessing laser-tag doesn't use actual lasers, as that would be dangerous, but I'm not sure what they /do/ use...

And the more traditional things for my own benefit

NAS for media storage + a couple of units for xbmc front-ends
Always-on backup server with rsnapshot, replacing the current overpowered and overly power-hungry noisy old desktop
File server for my parents' house, again to replace a noisy old desktop
USB webcam CCTV; if there's enough processing power to do motion detection, it would be cool to bundle rpi+webcam and have it email me any activity

Come to think of it, I wonder if it could run on batteries and power a webcam and wifi dongle -- portable live video streaming :O

nobbit

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:12 am

I'm kind of interested in making a NAS in any case, so using the R-Pi for it would be great. However, it doesn't have SATA connections, does it? So external USB drives are the way to go?

abishur

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:10 pm

That is correct, there are no sata connectors on the r-pi, so USB drives will have to tide us over ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

nobbit

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:25 pm

In that case two external USB drives will do the trick :) One with primary storage, then a cronjob that synchronizes to the other one every now and again. (I know, I know, RAID is the way to go. But this would be cheap, simple and work fairly well in any case)

obarthelemy

Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:04 pm

@nobbit: actually, your way is much better than RAID: it does not depend on fragile hardware or software RAID, it gives you a bit of time to realize you've deleted an important file or gotten a virus before both drives get affected, and it gives you the option the hide a drive elsewhere in case of a break-in when you go on hollidays.

BlackAdder

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm interested in using Rpi as a wearable computer and host Pranav Mistry's sixthsense apps.

Return to “General discussion”