Benedict White

Re: How would you use a Raspberry Pi device?

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:08 am

There are so many potential things you could do with the Raspberry Pi, thanks to things like composite video, HDMI and GPIO.

You could program it to control a robot like Lego mindstorm, but so much better, home control, run it as your local mail and file server.

You could even teach kids to program on it!

sculley

Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:08 am

I am looking at using the device to automate some functions in animation, as well as using it to produce animation. Infact I can see it being used in schools as an animation input tool and playback as well.

Edrickson

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:15 am

Quote from Jessie on December 15, 2011, 04:31
Quote from Edrickson on December 14, 2011, 02:03

Here is a handheld concept i'm currently playing around with. The idea is for it to cost as little as possible, so it still hasn't got a screen. However, all it needs is to be plugged into one. (An attachable screen will be designed later when I've settled on the design). It's aim is to help children aged 11-18 to interact and enjoy their raspberry pi. It would be great if i could get any feedback on it, as it's for a project and i want to start making it by January.

(colour scheme is a tiny bit on the feminine side at moment... still playing around with the colours, this is just a quick mock-up of it, nothing final yet).

Very nice, I like it. It would be even cooler with a digital d-pad under the left thumb and 6 face buttons on the right for some Street Figher and VS games. Or is that just me showing my age?

nono, i will definitely take it into consideration. i am merely getting feedback at the moment before i alter the designs to fit the user needs again. so bare with me. come January, there will be many changes and all that jazz. i got another concept made early in the month, but due to, everything, i been unable to post it. but i got this concept too. i will try add features to it that people ask for, but simplicity and low cost are kinda restraining me at moment. so we will see. :)

so yeah, again, another very early concept with little detail... but just some feedback on the form would be sweet and much appreciated. cheers guys.

mattb

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:14 am

eventually, somehow, at some point, this:

http://xkcd.com/413/

Crippen69

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Probably the same as most to start with, Media/NAS. Would also look into possibility of connecting to my old 8/16 bit machines in a similar way to the u1541 type devices, replacing a clunky 1541 floppy drive etc.

alpha_one_x86

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:59 pm

- Divx player with use my samba share, with xbmc.

- Nas for rsync backup

-Video game arcade cabinet

- Experience
Dev of Ultracopier,Supercopier) and CatchChallenger with Portable datacenter project

TickledPink

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:50 pm

- Video streamer

- As the basis for a fully developed home computer with bespoke, simple OS, that encourages developers to start writing in assembler again ... ah .. the good old days are back

Zaonce

Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:32 am

My first thoughts were APRS too, but then, what about a driver for a steam engine?

Are they waterproof?

flipper33

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:00 am

i`m new here but i`m looking to get a couple of these and use them on robots, something like you see on robot wars but with an ai based system that thinks for itself, and i can imagine the fun i could have if i fitted one inself a voice controlled dalek and added new voice controlled functions to it.

chrishind10

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:43 am

I think it makes a great low powered media computer, although if I can find an arm compatible c64 emulator I may be building a little laptop for fun.

If PHP, MySQL and Apache work well it may also be time to retire my power hungry AMD athlon based dev server for something a little more efficient (rasberry pi)

I look forward to purchasing and playing with the finished product greatly.

julesmoules

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:33 pm

liz said:

@HC Initially, at least, onboard wifi is just prohibitively expensive, and will drive the price of the device to a point way above where we want it to be if we're actually going to get it into the hands of the people we want to see using it. Later iterations will, we hope, have wifi, because if we manage a decent number of sales it increases our bargaining power with chip manufacturers.

@phaedrusnz - I'm pleased to see you say that. I was planning on using one with a temperature sensor too, for sous vide cooking. Those things are an absurd price if you buy them as is, but I'm thinking that with a £5 immersion heater, a temperature sensor and a coolbox, I've probably got all I need!

@Liz

Just hook this digital temp controller up with your slow cooker.  Note:  relay rated at 1100 Watts - so pick your 'lowest' setting on the cooker (check rating).  And at ten quid it's cheaper than a Pi...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V.....102wt_1041

julesmoules

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:40 pm

julesmoules said:

liz said:

@HC Initially, at least, onboard wifi is just prohibitively expensive, and will drive the price of the device to a point way above where we want it to be if we're actually going to get it into the hands of the people we want to see using it. Later iterations will, we hope, have wifi, because if we manage a decent number of sales it increases our bargaining power with chip manufacturers.

@phaedrusnz - I'm pleased to see you say that. I was planning on using one with a temperature sensor too, for sous vide cooking. Those things are an absurd price if you buy them as is, but I'm thinking that with a £5 immersion heater, a temperature sensor and a coolbox, I've probably got all I need!

@Liz

Just hook this digital temp controller up with your slow cooker.  Note:  relay rated at 1100 Watts - so pick your 'lowest' setting on the cooker (check rating).  And at ten quid it's cheaper than a Pi...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V.....102wt_1041

@Liz And make sure your slow cooker is a mechanically switched device (usually indicated by a rotary knob and two or three settings) and not a digitally controlled device.  The cheap stuff from Argos et al is the right fella.

Prometheus

Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:22 pm

chrishind10 said:

although if I can find an arm compatible c64 emulator I may be building a little laptop for fun.

I know that VICE works on ARM (I use it on my Pandora), if that's of any help. I'd love to see a C64 laptop.

Burnedhead

Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Well I would use it for "all-rounding-computing"…

I think a price of 25 $ (I guess i will buy the 35$ modell) is great.

I waited 2 Months for a new computer, because my last was totally broken and I had'nt the money to buy a new one… I'm informatic-student in a german "Fachoberschule" and sure, it was horrible to me constantly borrow a computer, when i needed one.

chrishind10

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Prometheus said:

chrishind10 said:

although if I can find an arm compatible c64 emulator I may be building a little laptop for fun.

I know that VICE works on ARM (I use it on my Pandora), if that's of any help. I'd love to see a C64 laptop.

Ah I thought so, I run VICE on my android tablet so I knew there was some kind of ARM compatibility. I'm thinking about using the 5" screen off a sony playstation 1 LCD and a tiny USB keyboard.

cjb

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:03 pm

First and foremost, as a platform to relearn programming, and to properly understand how linux works, memory usage, etc.

Long term, I have been wondering about the possibility of a low cost Geophone or similar, and more short term, the possibility of using one to detect rockfalls on well climbed crags (or maybe avalanches too, come to think of it).  Power source could be an issue there, at least in the UK as it isn't reliably sunny for solar power, but for me that is issue #20 or so with the idea.

Bootsy

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:37 pm

cjb said:

Power source could be an issue there, at least in the UK as it isn't reliably sunny for solar power, but for me that is issue #20 or so with the idea.
Whilst solar alone wouldn't cut the mustard, a combination of solar and wind could do the job. Since you are looking at crags and climbs the areas are usually fairly exposed.

Check out t'interweb for small marine wind turbines. They could be the answer for a hybrid solar/wind battery charge unit.

Also the new generation (expensive) solar panels are able to produce power at much lower light levels, again these can be sourced through marine suppliers.

Whilst these aren't cost effective solutions for a cheap system, they are options to keep in mind.

Another option is homebuild. An scratch built array of solar cells made from the cheap solar garden lights and a savonius turbine might provide all the power you need.

damarious25

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:29 am

Sign me up. Seems like this'll be awesome for a mini-HTPC that can server other purposes when needed. An apache server would be awesome as well.

EDIT: And also all the amazing projects people are storming up too.

leathco

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:38 am

I plan on buying two, one immediately at launch and one a bit later.

One I want always hooked up to the TV as a tiny computer on a big screen.  I'll add a wifi dongle for internet access and a bluetooth dongle for an iControlpad wireless controller and games.

The other idea is to put one on the back of my X-Arcade Tankstick to turn it into a mobile arcade.  It would hook to any TV and turn it instantly into an arcade machine running a MAME frontend for Linux.

I'm hoping for a casing for this bad boy to be made available eventually.  I'll try to fabricate my own using plastics and glue, but wanna see what someone better at this stuff than I am.

lokii

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:51 am

Well, apart from getting back into programming, last time I was when the Amstrad 464 was being sold as the next best thing, and I haven't done any since.

My main interest in RPi is for real time applications, communication, navigation, sensor monitoring & recording.

I need as simple a UI as possible, no mouse or pointer, ideally voice controlled.

To make it work I also have to solve the practical problems involved with the environment I need it to work in, radiation, extreme temperature differentials etc. But it's going to be fun doing it, and thats the main thing.

My 12 year old son wants to buy one with his christmas money, so this is going to be his first computer he has bought with his own money.

Chris

scep

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:59 am

lokii said:

My 12 year old son wants to buy one with his christmas money, so this is going to be his first computer he has bought with his own money.

I think that you have hit one one of the key points there: it will be his computer that he bought himself. This is a powerful thing.

lokii

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:18 am

We home tutor him so this is something both my wife & I hope will nurture an interest in computing other than the xbox.

G4GUO

Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:13 am

I plan to port my DVB-S program to the device http://www.g4guo.blogspot.com/

The PI would just need to do the MPEG bitstream manipulation

and addition of the SI tables the FPGA/Modulator board will do

all the clever signal processing.

If I can't get that to work I will use its composite output to

drive my DATV transmitter to transmit testcards and short

videos when I am not live.

The MPEG4 Encoder/Decoder on the Broadcom chip is also very

interesting shame radio Amateurs use MPEG2 for digital TV at

the moment.

Another application is as a fill in video source on the ISS when

the astronauts are not transmitting live video (I am not directly

involved in this but I have the ear of the guy that has been tasked

to find a solution).

- Charles

cjb

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Bootsy said:

Whilst these aren't cost effective solutions for a cheap system, they are options to keep in mind.

Another option is homebuild. An scratch built array of solar cells made from the cheap solar garden lights and a savonius turbine might provide all the power you need.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.  I'll keep those in mind.

Bikko

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Actually going to try and develop for windows 8 ARM.

Makes a good testbed. Sadly I have no skills in programming

Return to “General discussion”