bomblord

If I put an updated Raspbian into an older Pi 4 will it update the firwmare?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:42 pm

That's really my only question. I have a primary Pi 4 and a secondary one both purchased around the same time. I use the secondary one for other OS's and experiments. If I move the SD with my fully updated Raspbian from my primary to my secondary will it update the firmware or do I need to do something to make it happen? Running apt-get update/upgrade doesn't seem to actually do anything when it's up to date even on an older pi.

DougieLawson

Re: If I put an updated Raspbian into an older Pi 4 will it update the firwmare?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm

If it you don't have NOOBS 3.1.1 or Raspbian Buster 2019-06-20 (or later) on your SDCard it won't boot on your RPi4B and there's no simple (or supported) way to upgrade anything older.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Kendek

Re: If I put an updated Raspbian into an older Pi 4 will it update the firwmare?

Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:11 pm

I guess you want to update the bootloader and the VLI EEPROM to the latest stable versions. If the rpi-eeprom-update service is enabled, you will need to boot the Raspbian two times. The upgrade process will be performed at the second boot.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:38 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm
If it you don't have NOOBS 3.1.1 or Raspbian Buster 2019-06-20 (or later) on your SDCard it won't boot on your RPi4B and there's no simple (or supported) way to upgrade anything older.
He indicates that both are Pi4Bs, so he has to be running Buster on the one using Raspbian.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:40 pm

bomblord wrote:
That's really my only question. I have a primary Pi 4 and a secondary one both purchased around the same time. I use the secondary one for other OS's and experiments. If I move the SD with my fully updated Raspbian from my primary to my secondary will it update the firmware or do I need to do something to make it happen? Running apt-get update/upgrade doesn't seem to actually do anything when it's up to date even on an older pi.
At present, I don't believe that firmware updates are automatically done through the apt update/upgrade process. That is planned for the future. The way thing are now you'd have to explicitly tell the Pi to upgrade the firmware.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Kendek wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:11 pm
I guess you want to update the bootloader and the VLI EEPROM to the latest stable versions. If the rpi-eeprom-update service is enabled, you will need to boot the Raspbian two times. The upgrade process will be performed at the second boot.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/feature ... twork-boot
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

bomblord

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:58 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
bomblord wrote:
At present, I don't believe that firmware updates are automatically done through the apt update/upgrade process. That is planned for the future. The way thing are now you'd have to explicitly tell the Pi to upgrade the firmware.
I've definitely received the update that unlocked the overclock multiplier that way.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:56 pm

bomblord wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I've definitely received the update that unlocked the overclock multiplier that way.
Changing the overclocking limit doesn't involve any firmware in the EEPROM.

bomblord

Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:56 pm
bomblord wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Changing the overclocking limit doesn't involve any firmware in the EEPROM.
Alright

Return to “General discussion”