majorfx

Nexus 7 as monitor for Pi

Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey guys, new here. Is there anyway I could use an android device (like the nexus 7) as a monitor for the pi either wirelessly or with an hdmi to mini usb cable? I know there are several programs already out there that connect an android or ipad device to a windows or mac OS but to my knowledge none are compatible with linux. Any suggestions?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Nexus 7 as monitor for Pi

Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:09 pm

Depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do. A tablet should be able to support an ssh session or an X windows session.

majorfx

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I want to use the nexus as the one and only monitor to display the GUI and everything.

adlambert

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Yes, there are quite a few guides out there on how to set up VNC on the Pi and there are numerous VNC clients for Android. This way you could use your Nexus 7 as the monitor for the Pi from anywhere in the world that you have network access.

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 pm

I use my Nexus 7 with Connectbot, AndFTP and androidVNC. Between those three apps you have everything you need. But VNC with a touchscreen is "a bit crap" You might be able to plug in some kind of bluetooth mousey thing, but I haven't used the GUI enough to bother investigating that one.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

ahstwin

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 pm

As stated above you'd need virtual networking client like software to work it. Simply plugging the HDMI cable into your phone won't do anything since they're both outputs. Some people using VNC have found some issues with speed however, not everyone is on that boat

caderoux

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:59 am

See this thread for a lot of useful ideas - all effectively involve using VNC to view a session on the RPi from the tablet:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=18916

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am

caderoux wrote:See this thread for a lot of useful ideas - all effectively involve using VNC to view a session on the RPi from the tablet:

Post 1 in that thread won't work on a Nexus 7 as it won't do the wireless hotspot thing. (at least, not that I have found it. I'd love to be able to make it peer to peer with the pi, so I don't have to use my phone as a "hotspot router" when out and about). The rest of it should be OK.

cave

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 am

i would suggest to use X11VNC.

Connect your Mouse/keyboard, and Ethernet/WiFi to your pi.

Start X11VNC at boot.

show it at your Nexus7.
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:39 am

Good idea :) No, in fact, Great idea! That's the one that allows you to view the same session on another machine isn't it?

The next challenge will be to make a stand for the Nexus monitor. :lol:

summers

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:56 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Depends on what kind of monitoring you want to do. A tablet should be able to support an ssh session or an X windows session.
Android doesn't run X does it?

In which case you wouldn't be able to do an X window session or ssh -X.

Not that I've tried this ...

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 am

so i have a netgear wireles adapter, i have a bluetooth mouse and keyboard , nd a bluetooth adapter , i have a nexus 7

what applications do i download on raspberry pi (using tv as monitor ) thereaafter what appliicationns do i ddowwnload on nexus 7 before attachiing the raspberry pi to it ( also do i use my otg cable in any of the process ? )

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:47 pm

alexeames wrote:I use my Nexus 7 with Connectbot, AndFTP and androidVNC. Between those three apps you have everything you need.
Those are on the nexus. On the pi you only need tightvnc server. There's a tutorial at raspi.tv for the install. If I was at my pc I'd post a direct link, but I'm posting from my Nexus. :lol:

reismj88

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 am

alexeames wrote:
caderoux wrote:See this thread for a lot of useful ideas - all effectively involve using VNC to view a session on the RPi from the tablet:

Post 1 in that thread won't work on a Nexus 7 as it won't do the wireless hotspot thing. (at least, not that I have found it. I'd love to be able to make it peer to peer with the pi, so I don't have to use my phone as a "hotspot router" when out and about). The rest of it should be OK.
Would it be possible to turn your RPi into a WiFi hotspot (a la http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 80#p187280) and then SSH from your n7 to the RPI? I have a n7 and a nice bt keyboard and I was looking for a way to use both to control the rpi. What I suggested seems possible, right?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

reismj88 wrote:Would it be possible to turn your RPi into a WiFi hotspot (a la http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 80#p187280) and then SSH from your n7 to the RPI? I have a n7 and a nice bt keyboard and I was looking for a way to use both to control the rpi. What I suggested seems possible, right?
That should be possible. I haven't tried it though.

LemmeFatale

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:44 pm

alexeames wrote:Those are on the nexus. On the pi you only need tightvnc server. There's a tutorial at raspi.tv for the install. If I was at my pc I'd post a direct link, but I'm posting from my Nexus. :lol:
Is this the one? :)

EDIT: Hah. I just realised that the quoted post is somewhat old. Still, I hope that this post helps to keep the thread a bit more self-contained. :P
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:05 pm

LemmeFatale wrote:
alexeames wrote:Those are on the nexus. On the pi you only need tightvnc server. There's a tutorial at raspi.tv for the install. If I was at my pc I'd post a direct link, but I'm posting from my Nexus. :lol:
Is this the one? :)

EDIT: Hah. I just realised that the quoted post is somewhat old. Still, I hope that this post helps to keep the thread a bit more self-contained. :P
Yes, that's the one, it's a few months old but it still works.

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 am

In the early weeks when Pi boards were initially only available in the UK, I was fortunate enough to be able to VNC into one in the UK from here in Sillycon Valley with only a few milliseconds of delay, which was quite usable. However, one thing you won't be able to do is see any OpenGL/OpenVG output as that is only sent to the HDMI port - it's not available via X Window processes and data structures. So, no playing Quake, PenguinsPuzzle, or other GPU-accelerated 3-D or vector graphics software over the Net.

Otherwise, enjoy - remote access works well with the more efficient VNC servers and clients (e.g., TightVNC) and a reasonably-fast network connection (mine was only bumping along at a few Mbps and was fine).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Return to “General discussion”