Emmahook2008

VNC Viewer on school network

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 am

Hi,

I am trying to use VNC viewer on a school network to be able to show the class what I am doing on the smart board at the front of the class.

I have connected the Raspberry Pi to the school network.
I am using the IP VNC viewer gives on the raspberry Pi on my PCs VNC Viewer software but I keep getting this message:

VNC Viewer was unable to negotiate a connection with the proxy due to a protocol error.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get this to work or a different way of going about showing what my Raspberry Pi is doing on the main class board?

Many thanks
Emma

Andyroo

Re: VNC Viewer on school network

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:18 am

Safest thing is to talk to your IT tech team.

By the sound of it, all links in the school are going through a proxy server (I guess for content filtering and audits) and your machine is set up to use that for internal connections as well (this happens here when my wife borrows a school machine and tries to print at home).

It may be simplest to plug the Pi into the projector / smart board and use a keyboard and mouse for now till they help.

bomblord

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 am

More than likely the IT team (probably for good reason) is blocking traffic on the VNC port. It may be a case of just needing to whitelist your device.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:52 am

Emmahook2008 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 am
Hi,

I am trying to use VNC viewer on a school network to be able to show the class what I am doing on the smart board at the front of the class.

I have connected the Raspberry Pi to the school network.
I am using the IP VNC viewer gives on the raspberry Pi on my PCs VNC Viewer software but I keep getting this message:

VNC Viewer was unable to negotiate a connection with the proxy due to a protocol error.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I could get this to work or a different way of going about showing what my Raspberry Pi is doing on the main class board?

Many thanks
Emma

Has you tried the RealVNC "cloud middleman" Connect option ??

https://www.realvnc.com/en/raspberrypi/
Retired disgracefully.....

procount

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:22 pm

Which VNC Viewer program are you using on your PC?
Some viewers will not connect to the RealVNC server on the Pi by default (e.g. tightVNC, but it may work by changing some settings).

Best to try the free RealVNC Viewer to connect to the RealVNC Server on the Pi. It should work directly without requiring access to the cloud (provided your IT department lets you connect to peer machines)
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

nigelbartlett1

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:29 pm

See if you can establish an ssh session between the machines. If so, you can tunnel RealVNC over the ssh connection.

Return to “General discussion”