macgomes

Portable Monitor for raspberry pi?

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Hello everyone,,
I'm trying to choose a portable monitor for raspberry. Could you please recommend some? I'm aware official Touchscreen is the best choice , but I'd prefer to have some other non-touch even, because I'll be using keyboard/mouse or keyboard with a touchpad anyway

drgeoff

Re: Portable Monitor for raspberry pi?

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:10 pm

What screen size? Internal battery, powered from RPi, or externally powered (AC or powerbank etc)?

What resolution? For extended programming sessions or quick fixes, or web browsing or viewing videos, GUI for audio player?

What part of the world are you in. For example it may be pointless to suggest an item that is not easily available in your country.

Etc, etc

Moonmarch

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:11 pm

Even if you had a small monitor for the RPI you still need a power source which means you will use batteries to power the computer without a power supply the RPI0W will use the least amount of power, to power the RPI computer with batteries here is a article about using batteries with the RPI computer:

3 Raspberry Pi Battery Packs for Portable Projects:
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/pi-go-x-w ... -projects/

Not all screens include cases which means the computer will be exposed the screen will not be encased either, not all screens will have high refresh rates which means video playback or video games will be difficult to view, if you don't need a tablet sized screen then choose a small 1080P monitor here is link to a portable monitor:

Elecrow 10.1 Inch Raspberry Pi 1920X1080p Resolution HDMI VGA Display Monitor IPS PS3 PS4 Gaming Screen with Build-in Speakers for Raspberry Pi B+/2B/3B WiiU Xbox 360 Windows 7/8/10:
https://www.amazon.com/Elecrow-Raspberr ... BDX7ZQM8T9

BluPI2

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:05 am

This one is almost identical to the Elecrow, but it comes with Stand, AC Adapter, and HDMI Cable. It claims to be a 1080P display, but unless I switch to 720P resolution the text and icons are too small to use comfortably. This is basically the same one that I have and it works really nicely. Mine came with a 12V 2.6A power brick, but it should be able to operate on 9V as well, you just won't be able to max out the volume on the speakers.

https://geekworm.com/collections/raspbe ... ay-monitor

or

https://www.dx.com/p/geekworm-10-inch-f ... pi-2005577
Proud Owner of a Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate

rin67630

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:36 am

I have a similar screen that that one:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/9-Zoll-LCD-CCTV ... 2739420860
The LCD has 600*1024 resolution, but scales quite well HD-Ready, enough to set up a Pi initially and make some adjustments.
It is powered with 5 V an draw about 500mA at a reasonable brightness, you can use a common power supply for both.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:02 am

You might take a look at these... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pack ... op-monitor#/

rin67630

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:37 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
You might take a look at these... https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pack ... op-monitor#/
Hmm: hoping that it will, maybe, become reality?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:12 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:37 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Hmm: hoping that it will, maybe, become reality?
The previous versions did, but they lack HDMI input.

alphanumeric

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:33 pm

I have a USB 3 monitor I use with my laptop. Its powered via the USB cable. Fits in my laptop bag too, bonus. :D
It uses DisplayLink in Windows. I have yet to try and get it working on a Pi.

Anyway , I have plans to get one of these this Christmas.

https://smarticase.com/collections/all/ ... -touch-2

And a new Official 7 inch screen with a Pi 4B etc. Its portable enough for my use.

BluPI2

Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:25 am

I gotta say..that Smart Pi Touch 2 looks really cool! I might have to pick one of those up myself. I wish the 10 inch screens were more common than the 7 inch ones though...7 inches Just a bit too small for my liking, but it gets the job done.
That's what she said :lol:
Proud Owner of a Raspberry Pi 3B and 3B+ running Ubuntu Mate

alphanumeric

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:44 am

A 10 inch version of the official screen would be nice. You'll never ever know if that is going to happen until it actually happens though.

RossDv8

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:11 am

For the non-touch screen, I used a 15 inch LED TV that had a 12v input socke tand HDMI input when I wanted something like this to take a Pi on my yacht or my campervan. The TV cost me AUD$99 at one of our electrical retailers. It has worked nicely with my Pi 3 and 3B+ and pulls very litltle 12V power using a 12V cigarette lighter adapter for the TV and a 12v to USB 5V ciggy lighter adapter to run the Pi.
The Pi just attached to the back of the TV using velcro. There are pictures of it online somewhere from a few years ago.

I have also set it up to run from a set of Li-Ion batteries with a ubec stepping it down from 14.2V to 12V for the TV, and a standard USB power bank for the Pi. Haven't dug it out to try with the Pi 4 though.since my last yacht was wrecked in a cyclone..
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

raspberryu

Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:47 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
A 10 inch version of the official screen would be nice. You'll never ever know if that is going to happen until it actually happens though.

Been waiting for this for a while

I wonder how much of extra technical work there is... Is it not just a matter of writing a new config file? Does 10 inch screen (non touch) require more than 1 channel DSI port?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:14 pm

raspberryu wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:47 pm
alphanumeric wrote:

Been waiting for this for a while

I wonder how much of extra technical work there is... Is it not just a matter of writing a new config file? Does 10 inch screen (non touch) require more than 1 channel DSI port?
It's been long enough with no indication of progress that I suspect the project was dropped. It's unclear that a reasonable 10" could be done. That is, with a generally acceptable resolution for the size.

As for software to support...so far as I know, that would have to go into the binary blob that runs the VC. That said, one might wonder if the VC6 might handle a decent 10" screen and that the VC4 might not.

alphanumeric

Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:22 pm

The thing is, even if they "are" or "were" working on it, they will never say so, period. If it happens it happens. Asking about it will just draw silence from those that actually know. Good or bad thats how its been so far with any new product. You will only know it exists when its announced as released. Go on and on asking for something and that thread usually just gets locked. :(

RossDv8

Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:47 pm

The OP did not give any details, other than 'non-touch'. I suggested the solution I have, which turns the Pi in to a complete 15 inch Desktop Computer, able to be battery powered, so suitable for travelling, or AC powered.

However, I see a lot of replies about going even smaller, like 10 inch. I wonder if something like this would be handy for some projects?
Especially as it has its own internal LiIon battery and HDMI in as well as some other functions. And the prices is more or less reasonable.

Available in 10 inch, 12 inch, 14 inch - all with built in Li-Ion batteries. Might open up some interesting ideas for Pi projects..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Inch-Portab ... Swlk1dNq7X
until you fart ...

alphanumeric

Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:41 am

It kind of depends on "your" definition of "portable". My current setup with the Pi foundation 7 inch touch screen, I can carry in one hand, power supply in the other. It usually only ever goes as far as the next room or out on my deck, but the less trips I have to make to move it all from one location to the other the better. For me a 15 inch or bigger monitor makes things awkward. Easy on the eye's, not so easy to move around though. Also takes up more space on my patio table. Its the same old different strokes for different folks scenario though.

RossDv8

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:47 am

The OP's original question was for a 'portable monitor' rather than a screen. That's where the 15 inch LED TV solution I have been using for years comes in. There are only three things to pick up and carry. The Little LED TV with the Pi attached to the back, the Power board with the adapter for the Pi and the plug for the TV, and the iFi keyboard/trackpad. The whole lot will fit into one supermarket carry bag.

I just took it to the next level by giving it all a battery powered option as well.

It was the references to the 10 inch screen that made me wonder about the self powered 7 inch to 14 inch TVs that don;t even have a stand. They weren't around when I built mine. With the TV having its internal battery, plus a 3A power bank for the Pi, you could have a Pi equivalent of a micro computer without the expense of laptop components.
until you fart ...

Gavinmc42

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:25 pm

Waveshare have HDMI input LCDs from about 4" to 13"
Some enclosed and with USB touch.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

RossDv8

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 pm

WOW!! Unicorns really are magical creatures.

(Note to Moderators - I searched for rules on advertising links, but could not find them.
If these links are not permitted - please just remove them. They are just for information. Thanks.)
https://www.waveshare.com/product/mini- ... splays.htm
https://www.waveshare.com/li-ion-battery-hat.htm

I had completely forgotten about Waveshare. What a great place to find stuff that can be used for Pi projects.
I looked up a few of their displays and even some of the bigger ones seem to have a battery rated for several hours of viewing time.
And a 'curiosity' search showed a Battery Hat for the Pi !! Not sure how lone a single 88650 battery would last in reality, although unless I've forgotten my math, 14500mAh / 3000mAh could be up to 4 hours allowing for stepping up to 5V.

So although some of their displays are a bit expensive, being able to source then from a couple of inches to at least 15 inches, and with the self powered option fir the display PLUS a Battery Hat for the Pi would make building a complete self powered (rechargeable) computer dead easy.

I wish this stuff had been around when I was making mine :D
until you fart ...

Gavinmc42

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:22 am

Batteries are a bit tricky, even Pi's chew power.
The Pi4 plus a display is into laptop power requirements.
Laptop battery power supplies are typically around 19 volts.
Cordless drill packs are now around that voltage :idea:

Watched the local Aldi for their battery packs and chargers to go on special.
$27AUD for charger and 20V 2Amp/hr pack :D
Even got a 4A/hr version.
A bit ugly and clunky but easy to charge and swap and acquire more packs.
Bonus is using them for power tools :lol:

Still looking for 20V to 5V 3amp converter circuit.
The Aldi packs accept 6mm spade connectors :D

Then the Pi4's came out with two HDMI outputs and messed up my design for a portable Pi.
Waiting for FreeCAD to get working so I can do a new design.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

RossDv8

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm

I used to mess around a bit with radio controlled models ( including a hand made 1/12 scale r/c model of my 26 foot yacht) and I was wondering about using a LiPo instead of Li-Ion. We pill a lot of Amps out of LiPo, and a Universal Battery Eliminator Circuit (UBEC) can drop, say a 7.4V LiPo battery down to 5V and probably allow the 3A easily. I'll have to dig one out of the parts bin and check the specs. I'm pretty sure if the battery puts out more than 3 Amps it won't matter, The Pi should only draw what it wants up to its rated maximum.

Or maybe someone on the forum who is into robotics has already tried it?

Another alternative I could try is two Li-Ion power banks putting out 5V 2A each in parallel. I have half a sozen spare 10,000mAh and 20,000mAh power banks lying around and I have Y-cables with 2 x male, 1 x female USB. The worst I might do is start a small fire or explosion if the Y-cables short something in the power banks...
Of course, since I already have a Pi 3B+ and a 15" LED 12V TV as a monitor, I probably don;t need to bother. But that's the fun of having a collection of Pis - always something new to try :D

** EDIT **

The idea of using 2 x 2.1A outputs from power banks in parallel through a Y-cable to power the Pi 4 got me thinking. I noticed i had the LASER brand USB power adapter that I had used for the Pi 3B+ lying on the desk. A quick look on the label confirmed it is supposed to be 2 x 2.4A USB sockets with a total output of 5V at 4,8A.

Plugged the male ends of the Y-cable into the LASER adapter, Plugged a USB-C charge cable into the female socket of the Y-cable and the other end into the Pi and switched the power board ON.

All is running nicely. I suspect if I plug a couple of bigger USB 3 external drives into the Pi 4 USB 3 ports, I might fry the Pi 4 power circuit. But I suppose someone has to find out.. :D

If it all works ok, that means I have a portable power source with enough Amperage to run the Pi 4 on the back of the portable monitor..
* I'm NOT suggesting people use a non-genuine power supply for the Pi 4. When I bought mine a few weeks ago, the 'official' Pi dealer in Australia didn't not have the 3A 'Raspberry' power supply listed, so I bought one as part of a kit that included a fan, on Amazon. There are thinks I don't like about the Vilross power supply, including that if I bump it, it cuts off power for a moment.
until you fart ...

davidcoton

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:40 pm

RossDv8 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 pm
Another alternative I could try is two Li-Ion power banks putting out 5V 2A each in parallel.
No. Don't try that.

It is never a good idea to parallel to voltage sources, unless they are specifically designed to work that way.
They will not be exactly the same voltage or load curve, so they can end up fighting each other.
The potential for fire exists right there, even without other faults in the wiring.
I'm not saying it will happen, just that there is a risk.
Even in the less than worst case scenario, the output voltage can be unstable,
resulting in erratic performance and possibly strong RF interference.
Signature retired

RossDv8

Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks davidcotton. I know with most traditional battery chemistries using batteries in parallel is common, with the caveat that one should not mix types and sizes. and try to avoid the batteries being at different states of charge,
And I'm aware that Li-Ion power banks are already rigged in series-parallel, albeit with circuits inside to keep the cells as balanced as possible, especially during charging.

But I thought the power banks would have had protection against power being fed in reverse through the outlet sockets? In a similar way to using power diodes in a wet battery bank circuit.

I've done it before on things using a 5V USB input. Probably just been lucky, but it will give me a reason to do some reading.

In the mean time.
The Pi 4 is surviving a parallel input at 5V 4.8A from the Adapter and so far it (the adapter) hasn't melted. For how long though ???
until you fart ...

drgeoff

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 pm

RossDv8 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:27 pm
And I'm aware that Li-Ion power banks are already rigged in series-parallel
Puting Li-ion cells in parallel is subtly different from paralleling the outputs of DC-DC converters.

Return to “General discussion”