Albertoo

headless setting up

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello,

I am new to pi but i would like to learn some programming. Since i am at the university it is not that easy to connect to the wifi and take a screen/ keyboard with me. Now i figured out it should be possible to connect the pi to my phone hotspot and my laptop as well and use this as power source as well. I put an image of rasbian on an sd card, added a file called ssh in the boot portion and added a wpa_supplicant.conf. When i power the pi up it connects to my phone hotspot. Now i would like to acces the pi via putty. I have tried multiple guides but i cant figure out how to. I think i am not able to find the right ip adress to insert in putty or something else is going wrong. Can someone help me out with this?

thanks in advance,
Albertoo
Last edited by Albertoo on Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

RattusRattus

Re: headless setting up

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi there,

If you can see the Pi connecting to your Hotspot I guess you can see the IP address it is being given by the hotsport.
I guess that you are also connecting to the same hotspot with your windows PC?

if so simply open putty on yoiur windows PC and enter the IP address that has been given to your Pi by your hot spot

/Andy

JumpZero

Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Albertoo wrote:
added a file called ssd in the boot portion
It's ssh not ssd

geektechstuff.com

Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Albertoo wrote:
Hello,

I am new to pi but i would like to learn some programming. Since i am at the university it is not that easy to connect to the wifi and take a screen/ keyboard with me. Now i figured out it should be possible to connect the pi to my phone hotspot and my laptop as well and use this as power source as well. I put an image of rasbian on an sd card, added a file called ssd in the boot portion and added a wpa_supplicant.conf. When i power the pi up it connects to my phone hotspot. Now i would like to acces the pi via putty. I have tried multiple guides but i cant figure out how to. I think i am not able to find the right ip adress to insert in putty or something else is going wrong. Can someone help me out with this?

thanks in advance,
Albertoo
This may help: https://geektechstuff.com/2019/03/11/se ... pberry-pi/

Does your phone identify what IP address it is giving the Pi when it connects to the phone hotspot, and is your laptop also connecting to the same phone hotspot?
www.geektechstuff.com

tpyo kingg

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:12 am

A hardware-based option would be to enable the UART serial console and use a serial-to-USB adapter to log in directly to the console. If you have such a cable, it is quite convenient to get started. Then once you have the IP number you can connect via SSH as normal.

Or, back to software, if your notebook is on the same subnet you can use the scanssh utility to look for the Raspberry Pi.

rin67630

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:44 am

Albertoo wrote:
Hello,

I am new to pi but i would like to learn some programming. Since i am at the university it is not that easy to connect to the wifi and take a screen/ keyboard with me. Now i figured out it should be possible to connect the pi to my phone hotspot and my laptop as well and use this as power source as well. I put an image of rasbian on an sd card, added a file called ssd in the boot portion and added a wpa_supplicant.conf. When i power the pi up it connects to my phone hotspot. Now i would like to acces the pi via putty. I have tried multiple guides but i cant figure out how to. I think i am not able to find the right ip adress to insert in putty or something else is going wrong. Can someone help me out with this?

thanks in advance,
Albertoo
If you want to tether the network from your Smartphone/Tablet, and power the Pi by the same you might just use USB tethering.
It works oob without wpa_supplicant. But don't expect a long battery life...

Albertoo

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:31 am

Hello All,

I have managed to connect to the pi and log in with putty and set up the first things, thanks. Now i have it connected to the laptop using an ethernet cable and i would like to update the software. i thought that as soon as i connected the pi to the ethernet port of my laptop and connect the laptop to the wifi i would be able to update the software. i have enabled sharing the internet connection to other netwerk users but i still can not update the pi. i am not able to ping google either so it seems that the pi is not able to connect to thet internet. would anybody suggest on how to solve this?

jbudd

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 am

If your laptop can connect to the university wifi and access the internet, surely you can get the Pi to connect?
Maybe speak to a technician in the IT department.
After all, the Pi is specifically designed to encourage IT learning and you are unlikely to be using their bandwidth for online RPG with a Pi

rin67630

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:59 pm

jbudd wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 am
After all, the Pi is specifically designed to encourage IT learning and you are unlikely to be using their bandwidth for online RPG with a Pi
Hmm... At least the NASA admins are not unconditionally open to private Pis in their network any more!

Albertoo

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:18 pm

jbudd wrote: If your laptop can connect to the university wifi and access the internet, surely you can get the Pi to connect?
Maybe speak to a technician in the IT department.
this might be possible but i will have a few bumps there. i need to log in with my account, the wifi is just open but afterward you need to log in with a student number and password and i was not sure how to do that. next to that i have to find my pi's ip adress in a wifi network with at least 1500 devices connected according to fing so that might give some trouble. as you might understand i am still new to this so it looks challanging for me now
rin67630 wrote: If you want to tether the network from your Smartphone/Tablet, and power the Pi by the same you might just use USB tethering.
might this be a solution to my problem and give me the opportunity to update the pi via my laptop and install more software if wished?

jbudd

Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:18 pm

I need to log in with my account, the wifi is just open but afterward you need to log in with a student number and password and i was not sure how to do that.
This page describes using a command line browser w3m to sign in on a network. https://www.instructables.com/id/Connec ... -Network/ I have never tried it, don't know if it's up to date.
next I have to find my pi's ip adress in a wifi network with at least 1500 devices connected
The Pi could send you an email, but the university network may not allow it. Use a small LCD display on the Pi to indicate the IP address?

Whatever you do, talk to the IT techs about it. They might even help.

rin67630

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Albertoo wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:18 pm
rin67630 wrote: If you want to tether the network from your Smartphone/Tablet, and power the Pi by the same you might just use USB tethering.
might this be a solution to my problem and give me the opportunity to update the pi via my laptop and install more software if wished?
Once you have tethered the Pi over USB you get a full internet connection, you may use SSH, FTP, and VNC.
The only caveat is to get knowledge of the private assigned IP.
Most Smartphones/Notepads will give you the information in the tethering dialog subscreens, but that varies with each device.

Return to “General discussion”