qaz

Show splash screen ASAP

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 am

Hello,

I'd like to show splash screen as soon as possible at boot time (I'm using Raspbian Stretch Lite).
At the moment I'm using default Plymouth splash screen (using this guide: https://www.thedigitalpictureframe.com/ ... 9-version/)
And it takes around 14sec from power on to show up.
Compared to RetroPie splash screen that only takes 4sec to show.
Can anyone teach me how to do it?

Thanks in advance

qaz

Re: Show splash screen ASAP

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm

Shoud I have posted to a specific forum? :?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:50 pm

qaz wrote:
No... But you should have waited a lot more than 5 hours before bumping your post.

B.Goode

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:59 pm

qaz wrote:

Everything you post goes in a specific forum of your choice.

In this case, Community -> General discussion.

If you feel it is more appropriate elsewhere, such as Operating Systems -> Raspbian, then use the Report This Post facility to ask a Moderator to relocate it. Don't duplicate it.

If your underlying concern is that you have not had a reply after 5 hours of waiting then be aware that most advice here comes from volunteer helpers donating their free time - maybe the person with the skill and inclination to help has not logged in yet. It is a weekend where I live.

(Pretty much what @whh said more pithily as I was writing this... )

qaz

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:24 pm

dkeruza

Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03 pm

qaz wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:02 am
Hello,

I'd like to show splash screen as soon as possible at boot time (I'm using Raspbian Stretch Lite).
At the moment I'm using default Plymouth splash screen (using this guide: https://www.thedigitalpictureframe.com/ ... 9-version/)
And it takes around 14sec from power on to show up.
Compared to RetroPie splash screen that only takes 4sec to show.
Can anyone teach me how to do it?

Thanks in advance
Hi,
I have the same issue in a Raspberry pi Zero w, were you able to solve it?

Thanks

DarkElvenAngel

Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 am

You can use an initramfs to display an image within 1-2 seconds after boot. Depending on your setup and needs you can do away with Plymouth.

I have an older guild to achieve this here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1335189

pi-tastic

Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 pm

do you mean this option?
Screenshot from 2019-09-20 11-01-48.png
Screenshot from 2019-09-20 11-01-48.png (34.96 KiB) Viewed 271 times
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

dkeruza

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:51 am

DarkElvenAngel wrote:
You can use an initramfs to display an image within 1-2 seconds after boot. Depending on your setup and needs you can do away with Plymouth.

I have an older guild to achieve this here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1335189
This is a great guide. Thanks

One more question, I did install plymouth to have an animation as soon as the system boots, but I have the same problem, takes like 14 seconds to show up.
I did use initramfs for plymouth but seems like is still running from the main root volume.
Any suggestion to make the plymouth animation from the initramfs?

Thanks again

DarkElvenAngel

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 am

dkeruza wrote:
DarkElvenAngel wrote:

One more question, I did install plymouth to have an animation as soon as the system boots, but I have the same problem, takes like 14 seconds to show up.
I did use initramfs for plymouth but seems like is still running from the main root volume.

Thanks again
Yes you can make Plymouth or anything really run from the initramfs. The problem is that programs have dependencies and they need to go in too or at least be available... Then there's the handover from initramfs to rootfs that might cause an issues. I'm working on a newer guide that better suits what you want to try.

I'm wondering what your project is meant to do does it boot into a custom ui or program? And what hardware are you using (Pi 0 is my guess) SD card speed.

These things will be helpful to get you from power on to application faster. In the meantime I'll look into testing if Plymouth will play will in initramfs.

dkeruza

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm

DarkElvenAngel wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:59 am
dkeruza wrote:
DarkElvenAngel wrote:

Thanks again
Yes you can make Plymouth or anything really run from the initramfs. The problem is that programs have dependencies and they need to go in too or at least be available... Then there's the handover from initramfs to rootfs that might cause an issues. I'm working on a newer guide that better suits what you want to try.

I'm wondering what your project is meant to do does it boot into a custom ui or program? And what hardware are you using (Pi 0 is my guess) SD card speed.

These things will be helpful to get you from power on to application faster. In the meantime I'll look into testing if Plymouth will play will in initramfs.
I believe that I am missing a dependency in my initramfs, that is why the plymouth animation starts when the rootfs is handed.

I am using a Pi zero W and is a project that boots and plays videos in a loop, which I was also thinking of just boot to initramfs which is extremely quick and play the videos from there, no need for a full system boot.

My goal would be to boot to a splash screen, then plymouth animation from initramfs. then either keep booting the complete os an start playing the videos or play the videos from the initramfs itself. Videos will be stored in an external USB drive.

Is there any way I can see which plymouth dependencies are missing?

Thanks and I wish I could make it work.

DarkElvenAngel

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:23 pm

dkeruza wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:04 pm

I believe that I am missing a dependency in my initramfs, that is why the plymouth animation starts when the rootfs is handed.

I am using a Pi zero W and is a project that boots and plays videos in a loop, which I was also thinking of just boot to initramfs which is extremely quick and play the videos from there, no need for a full system boot.

My goal would be to boot to a splash screen, then plymouth animation from initramfs. then either keep booting the complete os an start playing the videos or play the videos from the initramfs itself. Videos will be stored in an external USB drive.

Is there any way I can see which plymouth dependencies are missing?

Thanks and I wish I could make it work.
Very similar to what I've worked on. You can use Buildroot to build a full rootfs in the initramfs. I would advise against putting to much in there since memory resources are limited on a Pi Zero W.

As for Plymouth from what I read it should be able to run from the initramfs, you can find dependencies with the

Code: Select all

ldd
command as far as binaries go. Maybe this Debian wiki page is useful https://wiki.debian.org/plymouth

Realistically you should be able to play a local video long before the system completes booting. have you disabled unneeded services from your boot? Networks are the slowest to start and you don't need to wait for it to start unless you need it.

Return to “General discussion”