neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 am

Hi, I has a Raspberry Pi 3 B+... with Raspbian Buster Lite installed (no desktop)... all working perfect but from one day to other my raspberry do a strange thing, can´t access through SSH... if I try on putty it close when enter the password without any error message.... password and user are right because if enter a wrong password the putty saw wrong password.

I use only in console mode, no graphic desktop

WinSCP saw error 139...

Mac console verbose mode saw:
https://pastebin.com/cWDdHgr7
Get exit status -1

Tried connecting to HDMI port and I got video from Raspi, load Operating System and then ask to enter user and password, try to enter and ask again to login.... same sympthom... no error, only error if I enter a wrong password or user...

Someone knows about this trouble?

The system still working (is a server), but I can´t access.... tried restart with no luck

The picture is trying to access through a monitor via HDMI port

Image

Thanks!!
Last edited by neodark on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:18 am, edited 7 times in total.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8536
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:03 am

Tried connecting to HDMI port and when ask to enter user and password, try to enter and ask again to login.... same sympthom... no error, only error if I enter a wrong password or user...



So you have an unspecified model of RPi board, running an unspecified Operating System.

And when you connect to the HDMI port, which I was certain provided Video and Audio output, you get prompted for authentication?


More details needed I think - that is not a scenario this volunteer recognises or can help with...


Edit: to acknowledge that further details have been added to the opening post subsequent to this post.
Last edited by B.Goode on Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:15 am

Hi, sorry, corrected the first post.... Raspbian buster lite... when connect to hdmi to a monitor, operating system loads and ask for user, put it (pi user) and password... and they ask again for password... I´ll update with a monitor pic

B.Goode wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:03 am
Tried connecting to HDMI port and when ask to enter user and password, try to enter and ask again to login.... same sympthom... no error, only error if I enter a wrong password or user...



So you have an unspecified model of RPi board, running an unspecified Operating System.

And when you connect to the HDMI port, which I was certain provided Video and Audio output, you get prompted for authentication?


More details needed I think - that is not a scenario this volunteer recognises or can help with...

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:19 am

No, I´m really sure.... I tried a wrong password and ask again for password... If enter right password then I got this issue....

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8536
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:26 am

So maybe the login is valid but there is a looping login shell script that spawns a new login?

Is this a fresh, unmodified installation of Raspbian Buster Lite, or has it been modified to implement your server?

Or is it a symptom of not enough free space on the root filesystem?

Code: Select all

df -h
might reveal that.

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:30 am

I was installed a fresh install two or three weeks ago.... but the server only has some python3 scripts that do some email notifications....

How I can check if free space if I can´t login?

The SD card are 16 Gb and the 5 scripts are about 10 kbs each...

Maybe can be updates, upgrades or dist-upgrade? But the version are a fresh installation....

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:31 am

I insert the SD card in the Mac and df -h saw 16% used....

Heater
Posts: 13323
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 am

Strangely enough I had a similar problem recently.

One day I could not SSH into my headless Pi from Win 10. It would connect, it would offer the password prompt, on entering the correct password.... nothing. Tried it many times. Never seen such a situation before.

After checking my networking and such a bit I broke down and rebooted the Pi. Still went dead after entering the password.

Next day I did the obvious thing for every Windows user. Rebooted the Win 10 PC. Boom! Everything working normally again.

Now, this is not quite the same as you seem to not get a response when talking directly to the Pi screen and key board. But I can't help thinking there is something odd going on here.

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:39 am

Hi, yes, and the trouble is strange... because I tried from win 7 (as always)... with a Mac, with a monitor and USB keyboard.....

Is anyway to.... rewrite some system files from a fresh install on other SD card to keep the content?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8536
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Others may have their own suggestions, my line of attack would be:

Install a fresh version of Raspbian Buster Lite on a new or spare microSD card.

Check that you can log in at the command line on a direct console.

Use the raspi-config utility to enable SSH.

Check that you can log in via SSH.

(Just doing this much as a sanity test will show whether your Windows workstation is somehow a cause of your problem.)


With a usb card writer dongle you now have a 'Rescue Workstation'. You could explore the suspect microSD card to try to work out what has broken.

My hunch would be to look at the files the pi user invokes at login, things like .bashrc

If you cannot track down the error, you are in a position to copy over the files related to your email notification system to re-implement it on the fresh microSD card.

Good luck!

drgeoff
Posts: 9805
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:11 pm

The "smart-control login" means this is not a virgin Raspbian installation?

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:55 am

Clean installation, changed password user, changed hostname (from Raspberry to smart-control) and installed some python3 files
drgeoff wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:11 pm
The "smart-control login" means this is not a virgin Raspbian installation?

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:57 am

Yes, I do this, I installed Raspbian in a new SD card and can login from all of my computers..... I´ll try to recover the files....

The post is almost to check and study what´s happen here... it´s strange.... I only remember last time to update / upgrade packages... no more... and always secure poweroff shutdown

Thanks a lot for the help!!


B.Goode wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:19 pm
Others may have their own suggestions, my line of attack would be:

Install a fresh version of Raspbian Buster Lite on a new or spare microSD card.

Check that you can log in at the command line on a direct console.

Use the raspi-config utility to enable SSH.

Check that you can log in via SSH.

(Just doing this much as a sanity test will show whether your Windows workstation is somehow a cause of your problem.)


With a usb card writer dongle you now have a 'Rescue Workstation'. You could explore the suspect microSD card to try to work out what has broken.

My hunch would be to look at the files the pi user invokes at login, things like .bashrc

If you cannot track down the error, you are in a position to copy over the files related to your email notification system to re-implement it on the fresh microSD card.

Good luck!

tpylkko
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:47 pm

might also be that some files are corrupted and they just happen to not be ones that are required for getting to the point of showing a login screen.

or might be hacked if it was on a network that is compromised or on the internetz...

you might want to check if you can write to the card on another machine, in case the card firmware has decided to protect itself into read-only

neodark
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Can´t access through SSH or HDMI

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi, the Raspberry is between two firewalls, only open port 22 on the Raspi but the two firewalls is blocking it...

I tried to write a ssh blank file in the root of the SD card to try "to open" again ssh but the file is writed but port was open....

Is very very strange

tpylkko wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:47 pm
might also be that some files are corrupted and they just happen to not be ones that are required for getting to the point of showing a login screen.

or might be hacked if it was on a network that is compromised or on the internetz...

you might want to check if you can write to the card on another machine, in case the card firmware has decided to protect itself into read-only

Return to “General discussion”