jondallimore
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 pm

GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 am

Hello,

Has anyone used the flirc case for the Pi 4 - How easy is it to get a breakout cable to the GPIO?

thanks
Jon

wildfire
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:31 pm

jondallimore wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:36 am
Hello,

Has anyone used the flirc case for the Pi 4 - How easy is it to get a breakout cable to the GPIO?

thanks
Jon
Not easy, basically the same as the flirc for a 3B+

I use other cases for GPIO access, the Pimoroni coupe for the 4B and the argon one for the 3B+ (awaiting delivery of the 4b version).

There's a thread around here asking a similar question regarding standard connectors can't fit due to the screw pillars in the Flirc. I'm sure you can dig it out.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

jondallimore
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:02 pm

ok, so not easy but it can be done? or not easy, dont even bother trying?

pfletch101
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=248516. The bottom line is that provided you get and use a cable with narrow connectors referred to in that thread and in the Flirc case FAQ, there is no significant problem. Obviously, you have to connect the cable before you assemble the case (or take it apart to do so) and pay a little attention to how the orientation of the holes on the 'outside' connector corresponds to that of the pins on whatever you are connecting it to, but it works well.

wildfire
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Dundee, Scotland

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:41 pm

jondallimore wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:02 pm
ok, so not easy but it can be done?
Yes. See pfletch' reply.
or not easy, dont even bother trying?
Personally I wouldn't even bother, don't get me wrong the Flirc case is brilliant for cooling & price but does fail with GPIO access. other solutions are out there.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

User avatar
karrika
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:21 am
Location: Finland

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:40 pm

I just milled away the pillars just enough to fit a normal ribbon connector. You have to mill away metal all the way to the screw holes.

lijoseph
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm

can take a look at Argon Forty Neo Case. It is a aluminium case with a slide top cover that gives you access to the GPIO. https://www.argon40.com/argon1/argon-ne ... -case.html

MisterEd
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 am
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 pm

pfletch101 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm
See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9&t=248516. The bottom line is that provided you get and use a cable with narrow connectors referred to in that thread and in the Flirc case FAQ, there is no significant problem. Obviously, you have to connect the cable before you assemble the case (or take it apart to do so) and pay a little attention to how the orientation of the holes on the 'outside' connector corresponds to that of the pins on whatever you are connecting it to, but it works well.
I got one of these cables also. It solved the problem of GPIO access with the Flirc case.

pfletch101
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:09 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:29 pm

lijoseph wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm
can take a look at Argon Forty Neo Case. It is a aluminium case with a slide top cover that gives you access to the GPIO. https://www.argon40.com/argon1/argon-ne ... -case.html
Do you have any data on heat handling with that case? It does not appear to have the pillar that (in the Flirc case) takes heat directly from the SoC chip and distributes it to the 'walls' of the case. I would expect it (even when closed) to be somewhat better than a plastic case, since it will build on the heat-spreading design of the Pi board, and to do better when open than any closed case, but I doubt that it would stand up to 'full-bore' running without the Pi throttling. Am I missing something?

lijoseph
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Re: GPIO access with Pi 4 Flirc Case

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 pm

From our test, Argon Neo take take the Pi 4 at 100% CPU running for 4 hours without throttling. the bottom portion is in contact with the CPU, in the same way as the flirc case. But you are right to mention that the unit does run cooler without the cover on. The case can accommodate also any standard Raspberry Pi Hat, like the Sensehat or the POE HAT. The POE hat actually help cools the unit further with its fan. If really want to keep the unit at cooler temperature.. Argon Forty does have another FAN hat that comes with power on/off button. Long press to shutdown the system and double tap to reboot the system.

Return to “General discussion”