sguox

New received pi4 with possible defect

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 am

I have just received a raspi4 4gb today. one of the left seems to be misaligned? or is this normal?
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 2.48.33 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-09-12 at 2.48.33 PM.png (209.72 KiB) Viewed 502 times

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: New received pi4 with possible defect

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:45 am

Ys, misaligned, but does it work anyway? I don;t thin there is any harm in trying it out. Think that component is a red LED.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

hippy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:56 am

sguox wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 am
one of the left seems to be misaligned? or is this normal?
The component seems to have been soldered to the board with correct alignment but may have been knocked in transit. The right-hand leg of the component seems to have at least partially detached from the body, the left-hand leg less so.

As said; it appears to be a power LED so should come on when 5V is applied. If not the component has been damaged. If it comes on it may be usable but may have increased risk of failing in the future.

pica200

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:22 am

Technically it's a defect but the Pi will still be functional even if these LEDs are broken. It's up to you if you want to replace it.

pcmanbob

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 am

Probably best to talk to your supplier before doing anything and see if they will replace it , as it was damaged on delivery.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

pi-tastic

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Picture seems a little fuzzy
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

LTolledo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:51 pm

if it were me... and if the board runs properly..... I'd probably fix it myself....

but for the OP... I think its best to contact your supplier for possible replacement (of a new stock, not second hand/used ones)....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

ejolson

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:59 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 am
Probably best to talk to your supplier before doing anything and see if they will replace it , as it was damaged on delivery.
To me it also looks like an LED that was physically bent after the Pi was assembled. As statistics are usually kept on the number of items damaged in transit, it would be reasonable to report the problem by asking for a replacement. This allows the supplier to evaluate their shipping methods to know whether any changes are needed.

Another approach is to save the planet by using broken stuff rather than causing so much waste by replacing it. I've taken that approach with my automobile and it seems to be working: everybody is still alive and breathing. In the long run it may turn out to be even more carbon neutral than Elton John's airplane.

pica200

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 pm

I mean this is an easy fix. But as soon as you solder on the board the warranty is gone and it doesn't count as new anymore but repaired instead. If i would get such a Pi i would probably take the risk and repair it instead of going through the hasle of sending it back.

The resellers could also not sell this as new even if they bother repairing it.

Heater

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:36 pm

That LED looks like it's had some physical grief and is busted. Not just soldered down slightly skew.

Replacing it is is easy, if you have a replacement LED, if you can solder anything that small. Hmm...not easy for most.

I'd be looking for a replacement. Especially if that LED does not light up which I suspect it does not.

Return to “General discussion”