FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi4 bootloader update package

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:30 pm

FPSychotic wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:28 pm
if I'm working under a SSD installation but booting from SD Card, how I should prrocced to upgrade without ruin my installation? update and install in both or only in SD Card?
AIUI, and given that SSD (USB-based?) "booting" currently requires a uSDHC card AFAIK, the eprom bootloader mechanism only uses, ie. writes/modifies file(s) on the uSDHC card directly associated with the EEPROM and subsequently, during a required reboot, updates the EEPROM if/when required. Whilst "copies" of those files may be placed on both the uSDHC card and/or the SSD once the EEPROM has been updated they're not used (again) until (overwritten/replaced) a new update is required. (NB: this is my interpretation** of https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md - I've not yet used that process only the earlier, "test", manual method: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7&t=246027) To put it another way, again AIUI, it's always "both" for you, but only uSDHC card for those that don't have (parts of) the O.S. on another storage device.
Trev.
** If that's wrong, no doubt someone will correct me!
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

jcyr

Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pm

5t4n5 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 am
jcyr wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:25 pm
I used a hex editor on my laptop. I believe there are complete instructions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
Thanks jcyr, but that's not very helpful for someone who just wants to use a Pi and not have to learn to rewrite everything in hex.
You probably need to learn to follow links when they are provided. You might discover that your specific needs are all addressed there... more helpful than anything I would have written.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

Man in a van

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 am

@timg236

This is just a small thing, but you may get more attention to this thread if your user name is in the same colour as your Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator colleagues.

At first, I thought it was a general query post (or complaint).

regards

ronnie

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:53 am

Man in a van wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 am
@timg236

This is just a small thing, but you may get more attention to this thread if your user name is in the same colour as your Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator colleagues.

At first, I thought it was a general query post (or complaint).

regards

ronnie
It is, isn't it? Just looked and he has a big green engineer badge.

EDIT: Ah, you mean username. I'll get that fixed.

EDIT2: And fixed.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

5t4n5

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:11 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:03 pm
Of course we are not ignoring issues. We keep a very close eye on stuff like this. But right now, it's the weekend, and even raspberry pi engineers need a break now and again.

Official bug reporting should be via the appropriate GitHub repo. That way stuff doesn't get lost as can happen with forum threads.
Thanks James, i simply wanted to know that this was being dealt with. I've added an 'issue' concerning this to the rpi-eeprom thing on Github -- at least i think i have as i've never used Github before so it's all new to me. I would be grateful if someone could check to see if i've done that correctly as i have no idea.

Thanks again.
Honestly, i've no idea what i'm doing. :oops:

5t4n5

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:18 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:47 am
5t4n5 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 am
I'm left wondering what is this the official Raspberry Pi foundation answer to this issue? They still haven't replied to this issue. Are they going to fix it or not?
Did you read the documentation on the link provided?

It gives clear instructions on how to read the configuration on the current image, write that to a text file (that can be edited any any standard text editor on the Pi), and use it to update the image file before writing it back out to the eeprom.
I can't see anywhere that it states what to do if the rpi-eeprom update has left your Pi with the issues i have got.

Yes, there's a bit telling you how to write things to make a new image but nothing to tell me exactly what to write and correct in order to correct the issue i'm having.

I would hope that people would consider that some of us are new to Raspberry Pi, Linux, etc., and things aren't as clear and easy to us as they are to those who have been here for quite some time. I'm trying my best to do the best i can with things and have managed a great deal so far and learned a great deal, but some things are simply too confusing for us who have just jumped ship from windows.

5t4n5

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:22 pm

jcyr wrote:
You probably need to learn to follow links when they are provided. You might discover that your specific needs are all addressed there... more helpful than anything I would have written.
Then please, instead of just saying that, tell me where it is that you are referring to that i need to go to have my specific needs addressed and i will happily do so. Where is it made clear, in simple terms, what i'm supposed to do to correct the issue i'm having?

jamesh

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm

TBH, you don't need to do anything, this is early release software, you don't need to use it if you don't want to. If your Pi4 is working well enough, you don't need to update the bootloader until all the wrinkles of the updates system are ironed out.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

dickon

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:41 pm

5t4n5 wrote:
jcyr wrote:
Then please, instead of just saying that, tell me where it is that you are referring to that i need to go to have my specific needs addressed and i will happily do so. Where is it made clear, in simple terms, what i'm supposed to do to correct the issue i'm having?
He told you which variables to set in the flash, and, in a later post, pointed you at the instructions on how to do so. No hex editor in sight.

Did you actually read that page and follow the instructions?

[Edit: Quote the right user this time...]
Last edited by dickon on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

B.Goode

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:42 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm
TBH, you don't need to do anything, this is early release software, you don't need to use it if you don't want to. If your Pi4 is working well enough, you don't need to update the bootloader until all the wrinkles of the updates system are ironed out.

Too late...!

See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6#p1535270

The issue now is how to revert the unwanted side effects of the update...

(At least, I think that is what is required... )

jamesh

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm

5t4n5 wrote:
jcyr wrote:
So, this is an extract from the webpage being linked.
# Copy the EEPROM of interest from /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical/ <<<<<<<<< Stage 1

# To extract the configuration file from an EEPROM image.
rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin --out bootconf.txt <<<<<<<<<<<< Stage 2

# To update the configuration file in an EEPROM image.
rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin --config bootconf.txt --out pieeprom-new.bin <<<<<<<<<<<<< Stage 4

# To flash the new image
# -d means that the configuration in the file should be used, otherwise, rpi-eeprom-update
# will automatically migrate the current bootloader's configuration to the new image.
sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f ./pieeprom-new.bin <<<<<<<<<<<< stage 5
So what you need to do is: Get hold of the file from the critical folder (stage 1), extract the config from it (stage 2), edit the config with the changes referred to above (stage 3), reinsert the config to the binary (stage 4), write the new firmware binary to the EEPROM. (stage 5)

For stage 3, edit in the following to the config.
WAKE_ON_GPIO=0
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1

jcyr

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:26 pm

5t4n5 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:18 pm
I would hope that people would consider that some of us are new to Raspberry Pi, Linux, etc., and things aren't as clear and easy to us as they are to those who have been here for quite some time. I'm trying my best to do the best i can with things and have managed a great deal so far and learned a great deal, but some things are simply too confusing for us who have just jumped ship from windows.
My apologies. I'll try keep that in mind.

BTW. No need to jump ship from Windows. Both Windows and in Linux are useful tools, not to mention FreeRTOS in some cases.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

5t4n5

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:45 pm

jamesh wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:27 pm
So, this is an extract from the webpage being linked.
# Copy the EEPROM of interest from /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/critical/ <<<<<<<<< Stage 1

# To extract the configuration file from an EEPROM image.
rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin --out bootconf.txt <<<<<<<<<<<< Stage 2

# To update the configuration file in an EEPROM image.
rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin --config bootconf.txt --out pieeprom-new.bin <<<<<<<<<<<<< Stage 4

# To flash the new image
# -d means that the configuration in the file should be used, otherwise, rpi-eeprom-update
# will automatically migrate the current bootloader's configuration to the new image.
sudo rpi-eeprom-update -d -f ./pieeprom-new.bin <<<<<<<<<<<< stage 5
So what you need to do is: Get hold of the file from the critical folder (stage 1), extract the config from it (stage 2), edit the config with the changes referred to above (stage 3), reinsert the config to the binary (stage 4), write the new firmware binary to the EEPROM. (stage 5)

For stage 3, edit in the following to the config.
WAKE_ON_GPIO=0
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1
Super big thank you, James. It's fixed it. :D :D :D

5t4n5

Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:51 pm

jcyr wrote:

BTW. No need to jump ship from Windows. Both Windows and in Linux are useful tools, not to mention FreeRTOS in some cases.
Thanks. My jumping ship is because Windows 7 is soon to be ended and i need a new desktop for my living room. So i got the Pi 4 now to give my time to learn Linux and stuff before January.

It's going well, already got it clocked to 2 gig and cooled to 35c and booting from SSD and streaming 1080p without any problems. But this bootloader thing just totally confused me. But all in the learning curve.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help along the way.

Atari2020

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 am

I have installed the eeprom update, which was hard todoooo with the wifi and wireles kb dngle problem I hav. What do you wnt me to report on?
Glad to be of ay hep

B.Goode

Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:22 am

Atari2020 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:02 am
I have installed the eeprom update, which was hard todoooo with the wifi and wireles kb dngle problem I hav. What do you wnt me to report on?
Glad to be of ay hep

See the Raspberry Pi announcement that opened this topic: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6#p1534285

It refers to a full release of the package. There is no requirement to report on anything. (Unless you encounter an unexpected error.)

There had previously been a beta release, linked in that announcement, which probably did solicit feedback.

Abraxas.RPi

Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:14 am

Hello everybody.

Just to share my experience. It might be relevant.

I was on the factory eeprom and vli firmware, running Libreelec 9.2 Alpha 2 and everything was working fine. I was interested if the update of eeprom and vli firmware would indeed decrease few degrees in RPi's temperature so I used Raspbian on the second sd card and updated both (eeprom and vli firmware).

After several hours of not using Libreelec, when I switched back to the HDMI input on my TV towards RPI, I realized that there were 1-2 seconds long screen blackouts every minute or so. Nothing helped (modifying config.txt with config_hdmi_boost, etc.), so I reverted back for both of them (eeprom and vli firmware). After that I had not experienced screen blackouts anymore.

It might worth mentioning that the eeprom update process went smoothly with no issues.

Cheers!

hippy

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Just to note that '/usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-config' is Python 2 specific so it may be wise to update that for Python 3 before Python 2 goes 'end of life' at the end of the year -

Code: Select all

pi@Pi3B:/tmp $ python2 /usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin
BOOT_UART=0
WAKE_ON_GPIO=0

pi@Pi3B:/tmp $ python3 /usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-config pieeprom.bin
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-config", line 94, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-config", line 91, in main
    image.read()
  File "/usr/bin/rpi-eeprom-config", line 78, in read
    sys.stdout.write(config_bytes)
TypeError: write() argument must be str, not bytearray

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm

I think this was originally written for python3 but was changed later to support a distro which don't ship with python3. Don't remember the specifics.

Python 2 going EOL upstream does not mean much. Distros will still support it and people will still use it.

timg236

Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:58 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:04 pm
I think this was originally written for python3 but was changed later to support a distro which don't ship with python3. Don't remember the specifics.

Python 2 going EOL upstream does not mean much. Distros will still support it and people will still use it.
LibreElec use Python2 not Python3. Happy to accept a PR which fixes it to work in all Pythons :) At some point it might get re-written as native code but that's pretty low down on the todo list

JumpZero

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 am

Hi,
I'd like to try this. I have read the doc everything is clear. Almost...
I need clarification on the third sentence on the very first post of this thread
@timg236 wrote:
If you'd like to try this then you just need to update the firmware to the latest revision then install the rpi-eeprom package:-
Should we read:
If you'd like to try this then you just need to update the firmware system to the latest revision then install the rpi-eeprom package:-

Thanks

timg236

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:20 am

The rpi-eeprom package requires newer VC firmware (start.elf) than the launch version, the rest of the system isn't too important.

However, I believe the rpi-eeprom package now specifies the minimum firmware version so it should happen automatically.

JumpZero

Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:36 am

@timg236 thanks for quick answer:

I never updated my firmware, here is my version

moi@pi4:~ $ vcgencmd bootloader_version
May 10 2019 19:40:36
version d2402c53cdeb0f072ff05d52987b1b6b6d474691 (release)
timestamp 0
So before being able to use rpi-eeprom I have to update the firmware. How? with rpi-eeprom? Is this recursive? :o ;)
Ok you said: "should happen automatically."
I'll give a try
Thks

hippy

Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:50 pm

JumpZero wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:36 am
I never updated my firmware, here is my version

moi@pi4:~ $ vcgencmd bootloader_version
May 10 2019 19:40:36
version d2402c53cdeb0f072ff05d52987b1b6b6d474691 (release)
timestamp 0
So before being able to use rpi-eeprom I have to update the firmware. How? with rpi-eeprom? Is this recursive? :o ;)
There are multiple things which get called "firmware" with a Pi and it can indeed be confusing at times.

bjtheone

Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 pm

5t4n5 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:51 pm
jcyr wrote:

Thanks. My jumping ship is because Windows 7 is soon to be ended and i need a new desktop for my living room. So i got the Pi 4 now to give my time to learn Linux and stuff before January.

It's going well, already got it clocked to 2 gig and cooled to 35c and booting from SSD and streaming 1080p without any problems. But this bootloader thing just totally confused me. But all in the learning curve.
Just a suggestion, but if you are fairly to Linux and the Pi you probably don't want to be out on the leading edge of firmware changes. You certainly can be but it does come with some risks and potential extra work on your part.

One of the joys of dealing directly with a small and very response company is that they have very high level of interaction with their userbase. They also make "stuff" available very early on in the process and do not tightly limit their beta and sometimes alpha users/testers. However, there is a somewhat implicit assumption that said users who want to be out on the leading edge, are willing to accept the risks that things might not be completely sorted out, might not work, might completely break their install, and have the abilities to sort it out.

There is no need for most users to be out on said edge, and I would suggest that for most folks, without a very specific need or who really want to help out and test new stuff, it makes sense to wait until things are fully tested and rolled out. At that point stuff it will be fully tested, documented, and have easier installation methods.

Return to “General discussion”