john_alan

Superseding beta firmware with apt-get

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am

Hello,

If I install a bleeding edge firmware using rasps-update, can it be organically superseded by an update from apt-get update/upgrade?

Or does one have to leave the 'beta' track before that happens?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Superseding beta firmware with apt-get

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am

john_alan wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:48 am
Hello,

If I install a bleeding edge firmware using rasps-update, can it be organically superseded by an update from apt-get update/upgrade?

Or does one have to leave the 'beta' track before that happens?

What is "rasps-update" never heard of that before ?
Retired disgracefully.....

rpdom

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:32 am

Ignoring fruity's silly pedantry for a simple typo, yes. An apt upgrade will replace the kernel with an updated one if there is one available. If There has been no updates to the apt repository since the last one was installed that way, and rpi-update has been run to install a new testing kernel, then the test one will stay. If a new production kernel has been released in the meantime, that will replace the testing one.

john_alan

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:22 am

@rpdom, wonderful thank you!

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am

rpdom wrote:
Ignoring fruity's silly pedantry for a simple typo, yes. An apt upgrade will replace the kernel with an updated one if there is one available. If There has been no updates to the apt repository since the last one was installed that way, and rpi-update has been run to install a new testing kernel, then the test one will stay. If a new production kernel has been released in the meantime, that will replace the testing one.

How is rasps-update anything like rpi-update jeez my crystal ball needs cleaning !
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Who is rasps-update anything like rpi-update jeez my crystal ball needs cleaning !
It certainly does when you can't even spell "How" ;-)

fruitoftheloom

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

rpdom wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Who is rasps-update anything like rpi-update jeez my crystal ball needs cleaning !
Stupid word speller / checker was on.......

rpdom

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:47 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am
rpdom wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Stupid word speller / checker was on.......
No worries. Silly otto carrot gets to us all :)

pagenotfound

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 am

rpdom wrote:
For the (Linux) kernel this seems obvious. But what about the actual firmware - or rather the two (or three?) different firmwares - that can be loaded/installed in the hardware? I assume that the recently released rpi-eeprom (Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater) does part of that. Does it also take care of the USB firmware? Is the save-300-milliwatts-firmware now recommended for general use? And where can I look up whether I already have it?

davidcoton

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 am

pagenotfound wrote:
I assume that the recently released rpi-eeprom (Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater) does part of that. Does it also take care of the USB firmware? Is the save-300-milliwatts-firmware now recommended for general use? And where can I look up whether I already have it?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 5#p1534285
Signature retired

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:31 am

pagenotfound wrote:
rpdom wrote:
For the (Linux) kernel this seems obvious. But what about the actual firmware - or rather the two (or three?) different firmwares - that can be loaded/installed in the hardware? I assume that the recently released rpi-eeprom (Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater) does part of that. Does it also take care of the USB firmware? Is the save-300-milliwatts-firmware now recommended for general use? And where can I look up whether I already have it?
The rpi-eeprom package does not currently update the VLI EEPROM, it's a different update mechanism because the VLI EEPROM is only accessible via PCIe. The VLI EEPROM updates scripts might get rolled into that package or perhaps a helper package that is marked as a dependency.

V2.0 of the VLI firmware is available here and it's still 'beta' https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0&start=25

Once everything (firmwares AND update scripts) the upgrade mechanism will just be

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Return to “General discussion”