shigru
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:41 am

raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi,

I have old raspi 3 for a year and just start raspi 4.
Now I am running my server on raspi 3. I want to move my server to raspi 4.
I just insert my microSD card of raspi 3 into raspi 4.
But it shows only black screen.

by the way, raspi 4 works on new raspbian buster. but I have to set it up as server from scratch.

my very basic questions:

1 does raspbian stretch run on raspi 4?
2 what wrong and how to fix black screen trouble when raspbian stretch boots on raspi 4?

please give me some hints on this.
Regards,

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2975
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:03 pm

With the release of a new Pi, you must always use the latest operating system.
In this case, Raspbian Buster.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

drgeoff
Posts: 9917
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:51 pm

shigru wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm
does raspbian stretch run on raspi 4?
No.

User avatar
thagrol
Posts: 1984
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:41 pm
Location: Darkest Somerset, UK
Contact: Website

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:46 pm

shigru wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm
1 does raspbian stretch run on raspi 4?
No.
2 what wrong
Stretch doesn't support the new hardware.
and how to fix black screen trouble when raspbian stretch boots on raspi 4?
Get the buster source code and the stretch source code. Backport the changes and recompile.

I'm guessing that's not something you'd want to do. I certainly wouldn't.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

sunlan
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:06 am

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:58 am

shigru wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm
Hi,

I have old raspi 3 for a year and just start raspi 4.
Now I am running my server on raspi 3. I want to move my server to raspi 4.
I just insert my microSD card of raspi 3 into raspi 4.
But it shows only black screen.

by the way, raspi 4 works on new raspbian buster. but I have to set it up as server from scratch.

my very basic questions:

1 does raspbian stretch run on raspi 4?
2 what wrong and how to fix black screen trouble when raspbian stretch boots on raspi 4?

please give me some hints on this.
Regards,
You have the same problem as I met.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=250652

I run SLSE 12.4 on PI 3B+, but on PI4, it shows me a black screen :( and I have to download the new raspbian for pi4.

It seems to no solutions to solve this problem currently

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2975
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 am

sunlan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:58 am
shigru wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm
Hi,

I have old raspi 3 for a year and just start raspi 4.
Now I am running my server on raspi 3. I want to move my server to raspi 4.
I just insert my microSD card of raspi 3 into raspi 4.
But it shows only black screen.

by the way, raspi 4 works on new raspbian buster. but I have to set it up as server from scratch.

my very basic questions:

1 does raspbian stretch run on raspi 4?
2 what wrong and how to fix black screen trouble when raspbian stretch boots on raspi 4?

please give me some hints on this.
Regards,
You have the same problem as I met.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=250652

I run SLSE 12.4 on PI 3B+, but on PI4, it shows me a black screen :( and I have to download the new raspbian for pi4.

It seems to no solutions to solve this problem currently
There are solutions, but you probably won't want to try them
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

sunlan
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:06 am

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:46 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:26 am
sunlan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:58 am
shigru wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:50 pm
Hi,

I have old raspi 3 for a year and just start raspi 4.
Now I am running my server on raspi 3. I want to move my server to raspi 4.
I just insert my microSD card of raspi 3 into raspi 4.
But it shows only black screen.

by the way, raspi 4 works on new raspbian buster. but I have to set it up as server from scratch.

my very basic questions:

1 does raspbian stretch run on raspi 4?
2 what wrong and how to fix black screen trouble when raspbian stretch boots on raspi 4?

please give me some hints on this.
Regards,
You have the same problem as I met.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=250652

I run SLSE 12.4 on PI 3B+, but on PI4, it shows me a black screen :( and I have to download the new raspbian for pi4.

It seems to no solutions to solve this problem currently
There are solutions, but you probably won't want to try them
It's little bit beyond my skill

Vaakkux
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 am
Location: UK

Re: raspbian stretch on rapi 3 not work on raspi 4

Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:35 am

Stretch doesn't work on Pi-4. But Buster works on all previous models of the pi.

Return to “General discussion”