lintdeveloper

Raspberry PI as a Host to send data to PC

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am

Hi guys, I want to setup my raspberry PI as a server to send data to laptop using socket connect do I setup my raspberry PI to as an hotspot first?

epoch1970

Re: Raspberry PI as a Host to send data to PC

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Bringing your own network with the Pi could be a good option. It all depends on the environment the machines are in.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

thagrol

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:51 pm

lintdeveloper wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:17 am
Hi guys, I want to setup my raspberry PI as a server to send data to laptop using socket connect do I setup my raspberry PI to as an hotspot first?
Only if you need to use WiFi and don't have a hotspot available.

If you do have an existing WiFi network just connect both Pi and laptop to that.
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

sunlan

Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:43 am

Why not setup SAMBA on your PI? you can make it as a file server.
but either the USB2.0 ports or 100M network on RPI3 is too slow for file shareing applications.

RPI4B seems better

thagrol

Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:10 pm

sunlan wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:43 am
Why not setup SAMBA on your PI? you can make it as a file server.
but either the USB2.0 ports or 100M network on RPI3 is too slow for file shareing applications.

RPI4B seems better
  1. That's not any easier
  2. The OP may already have the socket based software. If so that would need a re-write.
  3. For sending small packets of data, file based transfers are inefficient
  4. Regarding "the USB2.0 ports or 100M network on RPI3 is too slow for file shareing applications", that's blatently untrue. At least in the general case. It's easier to saturate 100Mb than 1000Mb but I suspect that's not going to happen in the OP's use case (data capture and transfer between two computers)
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

Return to “General discussion”