scruss

Re: How to INSTALL Linux onto a Raspberry 4?

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm

w1ll3tt wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:30 am
I've moved over the Raspain and it really could do with some tweeks. Ideally I would prefer CentOS as my professional OS is RedHat (Licienced) and CentOS is the nearest to it (unlicienced).
There's nothing to stop you running CentOS on Raspberry Pi: CentOS Linux on the Raspberry Pi 3. One of the very first Raspberry Pi distributions, Pidora (long gone), was a Redhat-style distro based on Fedora.
Where is Commodore now ?
Mostly caught in IP hell: two companies claim that they still own major chunks of the (almost worthless) intellectual property.Now and again they'll sue one another, but it doesn't change anything. Amigas are now running on very expensive (not very powerful) PowerPC boards.

The users still live on. We're still running World of Commodore near Toronto every year.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

bjtheone

Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:50 pm

A rather bizarre opening post but hey whatever works for you. I also have been using Unix/Linux for a long time (very early 80's) and used to get paid vast tracks of money to do it professionally. Lived through the BSD/Sys5 discussions, the Emacs/Vi wars, SunOs/Solaris skirmishes, the distro Wars, Gnome/KDE... bottom line there will always be another way to do it, complete with a compelling list of reasons and zealots with flaming pitchforks.

Why not just use CentOs if that floats your boat? I quite like Debian and can happily live with it via Raspbian on the Pi. On the other hand I really don't like LXDE, so I don't load or use it. I somehow find the strength to carry on and resist trying to save/convert all the misguided souls who use it.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:37 pm

w1ll3tt wrote:
I'm a professional level 3 Linux/Unix System Administrator ...
I had the Model 2B before but never really got going as the networking was difficult and I used Noobs as the OS.
Are you sure you wanted both of those statements in your post?

gkreidl

Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:53 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:37 pm
w1ll3tt wrote:
I'm a professional level 3 Linux/Unix System Administrator ...
I had the Model 2B before but never really got going as the networking was difficult and I used Noobs as the OS.
Are you sure you wanted both of those statements in your post?
Obviously you must at least become a level 4 Linux/Unix System Administrator to understand that Noobs is not an OS.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

bjtheone

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 am

Perhaps that one also goes to 11....

rin67630

Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:26 am

sunlan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 am
...via the normal install procedure?
Please define "normal".

Return to “General discussion”