Lucretius

Ready to use rasp 3b+ kit

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Hello

im following this device for a while and i discovered is great for retrogaming, since im not that tech savvy

i need a place to buy a plug and play rasp ( by that i mean ready to use with retropie on)

any place to buy it? so far i found starter kits , im in the european market
<links are appreciated thanks

wh7qq

Re: Ready to use rasp 3b+ kit

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:17 am

Amazon.com has a wide range of "kits" for Retropi use. Depending on if you are starting from scratch or have other bits on hand, make your choice and pay the price. As you know enough to get online and ask this question, you probably can manage one of the kits.

On the other hand, if you have any interest in learning about computers, the RPi offers a nearly infinite range of hardware and software possibilities but all require that you exercise your brain and get your hands a bit dirty. You might even find it a bit more interesting and challenging than fiddling with a joy-stick.

LTolledo

Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:41 pm

wh7qq wrote: On the other hand, if you have any interest in learning about computers, the RPi offers a nearly infinite range of hardware and software possibilities but all require that you exercise your brain and get your hands a bit dirty.
....and you also get to exercise your wallet as well :D

Yeah most of my "parts" were sourced out from Amazon, and from local online electronics stores here.
I too have a retropie setup, my very first RPi3B (not the RPi3B+) is now a retropie unit with 128GB A1-class microSD card, lots of games, many of which I may not be able to play in this lifetime....
got myself 2 sets (pairs) of game pads, the retro-SNES type and PS3 type, as well as a "fighting stick".

in the kit make sure you get
1. a good case (better with heatsink and fan)
2. a proper power supply 5.1v 2.5A (better if you can get 3.0A),
for your own peace of mind please refrain from using anything labeled, called, or marketed as "chargers". whatever others tell you otherwise, stick to using proper power supplies for the RPi boards.

if the kit includes a microSD, you may use it for test-run of the system, then get yourself a good branded and reputable microSD card rated minimum Class10, recommended is A1 class. Stay away (as in several billion light-years :D ) from A2 class cards.
some online store carry/sell fake cards (marketed as, say, 128GB, but the only usable part is about 10GB when tested with a microSD card test app), so be careful of those.

if the kit you fancy has some electronic stuff (like resistors, LEDs, switches, etc) then that's the part where wh7qq suggestion goes... which is a good alternative to just gaming (if you do get bored of gaming, that is ;) )

ah and dont forget the most important part..... have fun!
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

sunlan

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:22 am

the RPI is designed for geeks, and maybe it's quite difficult to use for the newbies, especially these who not familiar with Linux.

In China, you can ask the dealer to do that for you :D but firstly you should by the SD card in his shop.

Moonmarch

Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am

Even if you have Retropie installed on a SD card you will still need to download all of the emulators, and you would need to know where to store all of the games, Retropie is a graphic interface the OS does not have built in games you still need to configure the operating system, there is a YouTube channel ETA Prime that can show you how to use Retropie on the Raspberry Pi computers here is a link to the YouTube channel:

ETA PRIME:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Mretaprime

If you need a link to a Retropie kit here is a link to the Vilros arcade kit:

Vilros Raspberry Pi 3 Retro Arcade Gaming Kit with 2 Classic USB Gamepads:
https://www.amazon.com/Vilros-Raspberry ... B01J4HTOS8

If you only needed the case here is a link to a retro console case for the RPI3b+:

Kintaro Super Kuma 9000 - SNES Inspired Raspberry Pi Case with Functional Power & Reset Buttons, LED and Custom Aluminum Heatsink (Raspberry Pi Model 3B+):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTSPTQ8/re ... ljaz10cnVl

Return to “General discussion”