wh7qq

Angled case

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:17 am

I just received a Kuman 3.5" tft display and installed it on my RPi 3B. It is really sharp and works well, including the touch feature, but it has a very narrow viewing angle in both horizontal and vertical planes. I have looked, in vane so far, for an angled display or case for this small display. They are fairly plentiful for larger displays but not these small ones. Is anyone aware of a case or display bracket that will hold it and the attached RPi at,say about a 30 degree angle from the vertical?

W. H. Heydt

Re: Angled case

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:18 pm

I wish I were... I think the solution to this problem is access to a 3D printer. All other possibilties are likely to be in vain.

wh7qq

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 pm

'Fraid so. Guess I am SOL as I have no access to 3D printer. :(

hippy

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:43 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:18 pm
Guess I am SOL as I have no access to 3D printer. :(
Maybe resort to solutions people had to use before 3D printers were invented.

It's amazing what can be done with a hacksaw, plastic, wood and glue.

And of course sticky-back plastic, toilet rolls, washing-up liquid bottles, tinsel and coat hangers, for those in the UK of a certain age.

Andyroo

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:46 pm

hippy wrote:
And of course sticky-back plastic, toilet rolls, washing-up liquid bottles, tinsel and coat hangers, for those in the UK of a certain age.
You forgot the crude part - and a pair of Vals knickers :oops:

Sorry mods - delete if too rude.

jcyr

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:34 pm

hippy wrote:
What... No duct tape?
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:57 pm

My Dremel tool has come in real handy for making something I can't buy. It's great for drilling, cutting, sanding shaping etc. If your careful and take your time you can do pretty good job and make something that doesn't look half bad. You do have to get creative some times to make it happen.

wh7qq

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:51 pm

I was hoping for something a bit cosmetically nicer but the DIY approach is my last resort. Have nice plastic stock. Will cut. Eeuuch! Hard to do with enough precision that it doesn't rock (much).

Moonmarch

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:08 am

This idea will appear to be unusual I angle my RPI computer to improve air flow while using a fan, because the ventilation is on the top side of the case to hold the computer in place I used a old printer cartridge box, the computer case I use includes mounting brackets, to have the computer stay in place I added some machine screws to the mounting brackets with nuts on both sides of the screw to fasten the screws in place, don't know if this idea will be very effective with holding a tablet in place, I can tell you the computer does not fall off the desk or slides around with peripherals connected to the USB ports.

rin67630

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:50 am

That one is probably a bit too bulky?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Enclos ... 2536900011

wh7qq

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 pm

rin67630 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:50 am
That one is probably a bit too bulky?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Enclos ... 2536900011
Just a bit...nice looking case otherwise. Actually I was looking for something on the order of the cases for larger screens that Amazon carries but there is nothing I can find for the little 3.5". Just for kicks I cobbled up some 1x6 pine angles and attached a Rpi VESA mount to it but it really is clunky...much better viewing angle but...

Caveat: as I play with the 3.5" tft GPIO hat, some things work strangely. It seems not to like Cli boots and the desktop console is hard to read...maybe if you have very young eyes. The boot up messages are nice and clear but not so in the smaller text mode. When I try to change the system fonts. the "close" button on the preference window is below the screen and will not rise enough to click it. Cli login boot quits at "Started D Bus System Message Bus." I might have been better off to choose the HDMI version for a few more $$ but wasn't sure it would clear my heat sinks.

alphanumeric

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:41 pm

I ran into similar issues with the OK etc box being off the bottom of the screen with the Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen. I was able to drag the Window up the screen to get to it. Right click and select "Move". That was early on when it first came out, might have even been the set screen resolution menu? I don't remeber what it was now. Haven't had to do it in a long time though.

wh7qq

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:56 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:41 pm
I ran into similar issues with the OK etc box being off the bottom of the screen with the Pi Foundation 7 inch touch screen. I was able to drag the Window up the screen to get to it. Right click and select "Move". That was early on when it first came out, might have even been the set screen resolution menu? I don't remeber what it was now. Haven't had to do it in a long time though.
Alas, no joy! Rt-Clk. does nothing in the terminal and move is not in the menu when done from the desktop. Right problem but the OS seems to have changed.

alphanumeric

Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:25 am

Ah, that sucks, was worth a try at least. Have one more go but right click in the title bar of the open window. If you haven't tried that already.

wh7qq

Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:38 am

Sorta solved the problem...loaded up a fresh (7/10) copy of Buster desktop and contrary to directions, got the 3 all set up with a regular HDMI monitor.: did the updates, and set up the resolution, from the 1920x1080 to 320x480 which is native for the display. Then I went into the LXTerminal and increased the font size to 12 and "bold". Then I went into lcdwiki.com and followed instructions for the code to enter. That results in an automatic reboot and when it returned, all was happy. Problem is solved..."sorta" because the field of view is still very narrow and a horizontal display is not readable unless looking straight down on it. So I am still looking for a decent solution to get a decent viewing angle. Oh well!

PhatFil

Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:40 am

if in the UK? these 2 organisations may be able to help you get access to equipment like 3d printers
https://menssheds.org.uk/
https://www.hackspace.org.uk/

Elsewhere there may be similar organisations?

there is even a commercial business services office down the rd from here with 3d sla printers in the window, though i have no idea how they cost and charge? But with resin printers its possibly a flat rate per ml or gram of resin used?

utuber ben heck has lots of videos on diy case building ok most involve 3d printed solutions but not all..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grG3EVPg1vI

Return to “General discussion”