Bosse_B

Getting sound when using VNC viewer on RPi4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:14 pm

I have a headless RPi4 (2 GB RAM) on which I have enabled VNC to access its desktop.
It works fine for what I have been doing, but today I was trying out using the VLC video player and it too works EXCEPT I get no audio on my Windows 7 laptop.

Is there some setting (and if so where) to enable audio via VNC?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

pcmanbob

Re: Getting sound when using VNC viewer on RPi4

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:23 pm

VNC does not support sound ,

this was their last statement on the subject, about 5 days ago.
This feature is not available - yet! We're aiming to release this for Professional and Enterprise subscription holders in the next 1-2 months.

Keep an eye on our website and social media for more information.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Bosse_B

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:43 pm

Too bad, I am developing a video editing program using Free Pascal and Lazarus and utilizing VLC libraries.
It is meant as a cross-platform program so I was going to test it on an RPi4 on which I have installed the development system and VLC.
So I figured I could use the VNC connection to handle this, but with no sound it is a bit awkward.
Need to get a wired connection to the RPi4 then (meaning an extra monitor and a set of loudspeakers etc)...
Bo Berglund
Sweden

pcmanbob

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm

If the pi is in the same room as you are working from , you could just attach a set of powered speakers,
and set the audio output to the 3.5mm audio jack in raspi-config.

then you have audio and can still work via VNC
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

Bosse_B

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:55 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:50 pm
If the pi is in the same room as you are working from , you could just attach a set of powered speakers,
and set the audio output to the 3.5mm audio jack in raspi-config.

then you have audio and can still work via VNC
I will test that when I get home. Maybe I can even connect earphones instead so no powered speaker is needed...
I did not know audio had to be routed in raspi-config, where exactly is that setting?

However, my VNC is a virtual desktop so I am not sure about the audio path from such a desktop...
Will audio come out on the 3.5 mm connector irrespective of the source?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

B.Goode

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 pm

I did not know audio had to be routed in raspi-config, where exactly is that setting?

No spirit of exploration.. ?

The pathway is

Option 7 - Advanced
Option A4 - Audio
Option 1 - force 3.5mm

pcmanbob

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:09 pm

By using raspi-config you can force the audio to go to the 3.5mm jack, just as you would if you were using a pc monitor DVI port for video , with an HDMI to DVI cable.

its under advanced options > audio

I am not sure you will get much volume using head phones on the audio jack its really a line out , not a speaker out.

Bosse_B

Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Need to get back home to check these suggestions.
I am now in my summer cottage without access to extra hardware or shops etc.
So it will be a few days before I can go on now that VNC turns out not to support audio.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

drgeoff

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Maybe I misunderstand but trying to use a video editor over VNC looks like a bad idea to me.

Bosse_B

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:33 pm
Maybe I misunderstand but trying to use a video editor over VNC looks like a bad idea to me.
No, it is used on Windows, but I want to verify its functionality also on Linux. Therefore I have installed the dev stuff on the RPi4 and will transfer thw sources via SVN to it and then build and test the project there.
Audio controls are part of the editor too. But it is not a full video editor, it is a viewer with possibility to manage cuts and then an interface to ffmpeg to complete the commanded operations.
Works fine on Windows but I also want to check it on Linux.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

pfletch101

Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Bosse_B wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:39 pm
No, it is used on Windows, but I want to verify its functionality also on Linux. Therefore I have installed the dev stuff on the RPi4 and will transfer thw sources via SVN to it and then build and test the project there.
Audio controls are part of the editor too. But it is not a full video editor, it is a viewer with possibility to manage cuts and then an interface to ffmpeg to complete the commanded operations.
Works fine on Windows but I also want to check it on Linux.
Assuming that you have a recent, reasonably powerful, Windows system (and I can't imagine anyone running even a minimal video editor on anything but), have you thought of testing the software on a Unix VM running under VMWare Player? You are less likely to see problems caused by aspects of the test system outside your own software.

Return to “General discussion”