Beorn_Bear
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:32 am

I am contemplating on upgrading from a Raspberry PI 3 B+ to a Raspberry Pi 4 4 GB version. I am waiting to see if there is software update for graphics display (to remove choppy video playback), the ability to install Alexa and see Netflix on the new Raspberry Pi.

However, I am also curious to know if the Raspberry Pi 4 will be able to use Google Play or Steam easily. I would be interested in purchasing games for the Raspberry Pi 4, including Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Star War games, Golden Eye 007 and Counter Strike. Has anyone attempted to do any good games on the Raspberry PI 4?!

wren
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:55 am

Can you do any of those things on your Raspberry PI 3 B+?

Beorn_Bear
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Re: Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am

I have Alexa install on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. However, it will not currently work on the Raspberry Pi 4. I can use youtube videos well when it is connected via ethernet cable. However, I am concerned about how the Raspberry PI 4 will perform with videos on dual monitors. I used dual monitors for my i5 and i7 desktop computers. Steam does work on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. However, I still have the same concerns about choppy video display with the Raspberry Pi 4. I have seen several review videos online expressing concerns about the Raspberry PI 4. I am confident that over time, the software and hardware will eventually be fine tuned.

I would like to know if anyone has attempted game emulation for the Raspberry PI 4, including experience with Steam and/or Google Play on the new Raspberry Pi 4.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21336
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:40 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am
I have Alexa install on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+. However, it will not currently work on the Raspberry Pi 4. I can use youtube videos well when it is connected via ethernet cable. However, I am concerned about how the Raspberry PI 4 will perform with videos on dual monitors. I used dual monitors for my i5 and i7 desktop computers. Steam does work on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. However, I still have the same concerns about choppy video display with the Raspberry Pi 4. I have seen several review videos online expressing concerns about the Raspberry PI 4. I am confident that over time, the software and hardware will eventually be fine tuned.

I would like to know if anyone has attempted game emulation for the Raspberry PI 4, including experience with Steam and/or Google Play on the new Raspberry Pi 4.

YouTube choppy, yes you have asked:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6#p1515196


Valves Steam requires a x86 CPU:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=248517


Google Play requires Android of which there is no Official Release:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=246576


What has happened to good old fashioned researching ?
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

User avatar
bomblord
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:54 am

Re: Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:37 am

Beorn_Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am
Steam does work on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
Ignoring everything else. How did you get Steam to install and run on a Raspberry pi 3B+?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21336
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:41 am

bomblord wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:37 am
Beorn_Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am
Steam does work on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
Ignoring everything else. How did you get Steam to install and run on a Raspberry pi 3B+?

Likely refering to the Steam Link which is completely different to Steam:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/steam- ... pberry-pi/
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

User avatar
bomblord
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:54 am

Re: Game Emulation on Raspberry PI 4 - Steam / Google Play for Android

Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:45 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:41 am
bomblord wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:37 am
Beorn_Bear wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am
Steam does work on the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.
Ignoring everything else. How did you get Steam to install and run on a Raspberry pi 3B+?

Likely refering to the Steam Link which is completely different to Steam:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/steam- ... pberry-pi/
That would make sense I used that on my Pi 3b. Although the experience wasn't great even wired.

Return to “General discussion”