vidgusting

I got a big issue and i need to fix it before next week

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:30 am

Basicly i bought 50 rasberry pis b+ for the school students to learn programming , then on testing them out , i get this error saying that random : crng init done , it has been stuck like that for the past hour :( . please i need help or i will have serious problems , and if you want other info :

all of them are rasberry pis b+
i tried installing rasbian , rasbian lite , noobs , noobs lite and kali linux but all of them gave me the same error on all of the rasberry pis
i am using the default charger that comes with the rasberry pi
i have already searched the whole internet for help but non worked

pls pls pls pls pls pls pls this is top priority because school is resuming in some days and i need to setup the rasberry pis before next week

W. H. Heydt

Re: I got a big issue and i need to fix it before next week

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:36 am

When you say "Pi B+" do you mean the Pi1 Model B+ or the much newer Pi3B+?

Edit to add... The VERY FIRST item from Google when one searches on your error message is this: viewtopic.php?t=209093 thread. I suggest you read it.

wh7qq

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:46 am

For such a big urgent issue, you tell us so little: What model RPi..."B" is rather non-specific? What size/make/model of uSD card and purchased how? How did you burn the images to the uSD card? How did you download and did you check sha256sum of your download .zip to be sure it is complete.

It sounds like a "boot-up" problem that may have resulted from a bad uSD card or a bad burn (but you do not give enough detail to do anything but speculate). Download a free copy of "Etcher " and burn a fresh Raspbian_latest image downloaded from this web site (see above). Get a fresh uSD card from a reputable dealer (Amazon, Micro-Center, etc.) with greater than 8Gb capacity and Class 10 or better speed. SanDisk or Samsung are suggested.

It is possible you have a bad RPi...but it is highly unlikely, especially if all 50 exhibit the same failure.

wh7qq

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:57 am

wh7qq wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:46 am
For such a big urgent issue, you tell us so little: What model RPi..."B+" is rather non-specific and could apply to a variety of models? What size/make/model of uSD card and purchased how? Where were they purchased? How did you burn the images to the uSD card? How did you download and did you check sha256sum of your download .zip file to be sure it is complete.

It sounds like a "boot-up" problem that may have resulted from a bad uSD card or a bad burn (but you do not give enough detail to do anything but speculate). Download a free copy of "Etcher " and burn a fresh "Raspbian_latest" image download from this web site (see above). Get a fresh uSD card from a reputable dealer (Amazon, Micro-Center, etc.) with greater than 8Gb capacity and Class 10 or better speed. SanDisk or Samsung are suggested.

It is possible you have a bad RPi...but it is highly unlikely, especially if all 50 exhibit the same failure.
Edit: Chargers do not come with the RPi (any model) but may be included as a package by the vendor. There is an official RPi supply sold separately. BTW, there is a big difference between a "charger" and a "power supply" that may effect the ability to maintain sufficient voltage to complete booting.

rpdom

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:00 am

Advice has already been given, so I won't provide any more at this time.

Just to say "random : crng init done" is not an error. It is a normal message to say the that step of the boot sequence has been done successfully. It is one of the steps that follow it that has failed without giving any messages.

B.Goode

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 am

Basicly i bought 50 rasberry pis b+ for the school students to learn programming , then on testing them out , i get this error

Suggestion. Say to the students "Before we can learn programming these Raspberry Pi boards need an Operating System. Here is a pile of fresh microSD cards, and here is an internet-connected workstation so you can go to the Raspberry Pi Getting Started documentation at https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/. Off you go, let me know when you're finished... "

jbudd

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 am

I posted a (hopefully) constructive reply last night to one of your 6 incoherent posts on this problem.
That thread seems to have since been deleted, maybe by you, maybe by an exasperated moderator.
I can't be bothered to type it all in again.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 am

Please stop posting duplicates. These will be deleted without warning!
repeat offenders will receive a temporary ban.

note that question askers are expected to offer help (information) to solve the problem, not repetitions of the same question.

pi-tastic

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:38 pm

my suggestion is to make sure your sd card is formatted fat32
not EXfat or NTFS

most sd cards come formatted EXfat.

in order to use NOOBS you have to verify the sd card is formated FAT 32
in windows 10 you can use this GUI TOOL http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

also, part of the learning experience with the raspberry pi is getting the sd card going, that in its self is a valuable learning experience
witch your students will benefit from.

with my kids, they like Minecraft, however they start in creative mode then switch to survival mode.
its not really a fair experience starting survival mode with house of gold bricks and chests outfitted with all diamond gear.

Starting out fresh and doing the whole process gives respect and appreciation.

likewise if you tried to preform an Arch Linux install.... Then at some point you will very much appreciate all the hard work the team has done to provide us with BUSTER.
maccaps.com - bringing life to dead electronics.

drgeoff

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:48 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
not EXfat or NTFS

most sd cards come formatted EXfat.
No they do not. Only cards 64 Gbyte and larger do.

B.Goode

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:13 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
not EXfat or NTFS

An irrelevant distraction.

Clearly the machine(s) must be starting to boot, otherwise they would not be able to emit the reported 'error' message.

And in microSD boot mode an RPi will not start to boot unless the card contains an appropriate FAT-formatted partion.

pi-tastic

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm

viewtopic.php?t=209093
this thread talks about such issue.

B.Goode

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:34 pm

pi-tastic wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm
viewtopic.php?t=209093
this thread talks about such issue.
@whheydt posted a link to that thread in the first reply to this topic 2 hours after the initial post...

pi-tastic

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:26 pm

hang on in the middle of an ARCH install.

andrum99

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:44 pm

Really??? Can nobody spot a troll anymore? He has chosen the name of "vidgusting", has made only one post and it consists of an incoherent ramble about how he has searched high and low yet has somehow managed to find no information about his problem.

Step away from the troll!
Last edited by andrum99 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rpdom

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:57 pm

andrum99 wrote:
Really??? Can nobody spot a troll anymore? He has chosen the name of "vidgusting", has made only one post and it consists of an incoherent ramble about how he has searched high and low yet has somehow managed to find no information about his problem.
Actually seven posts, but they were all the same problem in different words.

However, they seem to be in a different timezone and may not have seen the replies yet. I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt although my tribble senses are tingling.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:28 pm

rpdom wrote:
andrum99 wrote:
Actually seven posts, but they were all the same problem in different words.

However, they seem to be in a different timezone and may not have seen the replies yet. I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt although my tribble senses are tingling.
Going by your avatar, shouldn't that be "my spidey senses are tingling" ? :D

rpdom

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:43 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
rpdom wrote:
I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt although my tribble senses are tingling.
Nope. The spiders (like Nightshade* in my userpic) belong to my wife/

*He's something of an anomaly. Fully grown males of his species don't tend to survive more than 18 months once they reach maturity. He matured about five years ago.

alphanumeric

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:48 pm

rpdom wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:43 pm
alphanumeric wrote:
rpdom wrote:
I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt although my tribble senses are tingling.
Nope. The spiders (like Nightshade* in my userpic) belong to my wife/

*He's something of an anomaly. Fully grown males of his species don't tend to survive more than 18 months once they reach maturity. He matured about five years ago.
Sounds like your wife is taking very good care of Nightshade. I'm more of a dog person. Anyway, live long and prosper Nightshade. :D

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:51 am

Since there doesn't appear to be any response from the OP, some possibilities occur to me...
1. He solved his problem.
2. He hasn't figured out how to reply to a thread.
3. The troll surmise is correct.

lpsw

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:02 am

4. He realized he was in well over his head and bailed
Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is - Isaac Asimov

W. H. Heydt

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 am

5. One of the incoming students dropped by, solved the issue in 5 minutes, so he let the student set up all 50 systems.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:30 am

6. He looked at the comments and decided he had no hope of getting help here.

I can understand multiple posts in different sections if folk do not know about the ‘new post’ or ‘unanswered posts’ selector. Only hope he either comes back or gets it sorted fir sake of his students...
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hippy

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Andyroo wrote:
There are some who will make "test postings" just to see what the response is, to determine how well they will be served later. Others will read posts and judge the same way.

Beyond "if you have nothing good to say; don't say anything" I was taught to treat customers and potential customers with respect, deem them innocent until proven guilty, and always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Otherwise you never know what damage you have done, what huge order you may have just lost, what reputational damage may have been caused.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:51 am

Andyroo wrote:

I can understand multiple posts in different sections if folk do not know about the ‘new post’ or ‘unanswered posts’ selector. Only hope he either comes back or gets it sorted fir sake of his students...
Had he said where he was, enabling the location in the ID block is a good start, and it had turned out he was near where I live, and especially if he was in the district or even at the school my grandson will be going to starting next week, I might very well have volunteered to drop by to see what I could do to help. I really do want to see the use of Pis spread in schools. But without such basic information, there's not much one can do.

Return to “General discussion”