HawaiianPi

Re: Booting from USB on RPi3

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 am

That all looks okay (should work). Must be a compatibility issue with the card reader.

If you are using the desktop version of Raspbian, the SD Card Copier utility is the best way to clone a card (it handles larger or smaller destinations gracefully, dd does not).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

balanga

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Many thanks for all the help. I have it booting from a USB stick now.

RonR

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:20 pm

balanga wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:28 pm
I have it booting from a USB stick now.

Is that with or without an SD card in place? Was it the use of the usb-boot script that made it work?

balanga

Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am

Well... that seemed to have worked for a day. Initially I was able to boot solely from the USB stick, but the next day it wouldn't boot. Not only that but I couldn't boot up to a login prompt just from the SD card.

The boot process stopped with:-
random:
crng init done
To boot up successfully I need to use both the SD card and USB stick. Is that to be expected?

RonR

Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:03 pm

balanga wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:03 am
Well... that seemed to have worked for a day. Initially I was able to boot solely from the USB stick, but the next day it wouldn't boot. Not only that but I couldn't boot up to a login prompt just from the SD card.

The boot process stopped with:-
random:
crng init done
To boot up successfully I need to use both the SD card and USB stick. Is that to be expected?
As I've described at Running Raspbian on USB Devices : Made Easy, this is commonly the case. The good news is there's no real downside to leaving the SD card in place for the purpose of booting to the USB device. The usb-boot script provides a totally painless means to accomplish booting USB devices with no additional tools or knowledge needed. I've been running all Raspberry Pi models (1/2/3/4) this way for the past 6 years now. It's reliable and eliminates all the problems of doing otherwise.

Return to “General discussion”