gzcwnk

10 inch (if possible wide screen format) touch screen

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:24 am

I love the response of the genuine pi 7inch screen but I would like something bigger. I got a 10inch one 1~2 years back but its pretty bad....more a pen activated than (fat) finger. So has anyone come across a really good 10inch or bigger touch screen that can run off 12volts (its going in a car) Icing on the cake would be wide screen format and double icing bigger than 10inch. I'd also like something via aliexpress due to shipping costs from US/EU (ebay / amazon etc) to New Zealand being so painful. If we are talking $200US OK. Otherwise I was thinking of looking for a laptop touchscreen and a kit to re-use that, anyone tried this with a pi? (probably way to big though). (I dont suppose there is anything in the works from the pi foundation for bigger?, I'd wait).

fruitoftheloom

Re: 10 inch (if possible wide screen format) touch screen

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 am

gzcwnk wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:24 am
I love the response of the genuine pi 7inch screen but I would like something bigger. I got a 10inch one 1~2 years back but its pretty bad....more a pen activated than (fat) finger. So has anyone come across a really good 10inch or bigger touch screen that can run off 12volts (its going in a car) Icing on the cake would be wide screen format and double icing bigger than 10inch. I'd also like something via aliexpress due to shipping costs from US/EU (ebay / amazon etc) to New Zealand being so painful. If we are talking $200US OK. Otherwise I was thinking of looking for a laptop touchscreen and a kit to re-use that, anyone tried this with a pi? (probably way to big though). (I dont suppose there is anything in the works from the pi foundation for bigger?, I'd wait).

An alternative is a USB3 DisplayLink Monitor like ?? Linux support may be a issue !!

https://lilliputdirect.com/lilliput-um1 ... rch=um1010
Retired disgracefully.....

aBUGSworstnightmare

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 am

Search the net for something like this https://www.amazon.de/tragbarer-Bildsch ... 1-30-spons

There should be tons of products w/, w/o touch, different resolution and size, etc

Ernst

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 am

The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

flipontheradio

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm

I've read that Dr. Upton and the Pi foundation had planned to do a 10" one a few years ago but for whatever reason it was abandoned. I asked Dr. Upton about this during his AMA on Tom's Hardware a few weeks ago and while he didn't confirm much (not that I expected him to) he did elude to a possible refresh soonish....

Q: I'm a huge fan of the official Raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen. Are there any plans to release a larger 10" touchscreen down the road? Any possibility of an updated 7" touchscreen that will position the Pi in reverse (arranged so the power cable does not plug in on top)? Will there be an updated case for the 7" touchscreen for the Pi 4?

A: An updated touchscreen is drifting towards the top of our to do list. Definitely hear you on plug positioning. We don't do a touchscreen case at the moment, but I'm aware of at least one third party who is investigating a Pi 4 + touchscreen case.

:D Here's to hoping a 10" version will be announced. I'm planning to mount a few Pi's in-wall with the POE hat and touchscreen as home "control" panels/picture frames. I could do it now but I suppose I'll hold off a few more months before cutting holes to see if anything is announced.

Moonmarch

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:24 am

I have searched for touch screens that are compatible with the RPI computer before, I will tell you that most touch screens will be under 7 inches in size the supported screen resolutions will be under 720P with low refresh rates, can't imagine how much a 10 inch screen for the RPI computer will cost I'm going to guess around $120 for the screen only doesn't include a case, the SunFounder 10 inch screen costs $125 on Amazon.

The 10 inch screen requires 12V power adapter the 7 inch screen should run on USB that is plugged directly to the RPI computer, here is a link to the 7 inch screen:

for Raspberry Pi Screen, kuman 7 Inch Capacitive Touch LCD Display HDMI Input 800x480 with Case Stand:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLMBGZC/ref=emc_b_5_t

Return to “General discussion”