lucapearce

Using the pi as Hi Fi system.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am

Hi There Can anyone help with the following pr point me in the right direction.

I am new to using the PI, however I want to re purpose my dads HIFI system and bring him up to the 21st century. Lol

What I want to do is by using the PI to create a HIfi System but want to do the following.

1. From an old table interface built in have it allow you to select music apps such as Itunes, Google Play , Amazon Music, Deezer, Spotify, Radio . Record Player D Player this would allow you to choose if you wanted to stream music from the online sources or select CD or record player to play music.
2. Us the Pi to house the software etc.
3. Have a digital to analogue and analogue to digital Hat board connect the out puts to a separate amplifier or use the hat board ones.
4. Then goes out to either passive speakers off me dads old high-FI system or build my own speaker box with speakers sourced of ebay.

Idea behind using an old tablet as the control would be to select what you want to do.

Does anybody know if this is possible

For example you would press record player this would then turn on the record player and start playing the record.

kkman20xx

Re: Using the pi as Hi Fi system.

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:31 pm

Yes, it is of course. I have been using Volumio for music for a while now, on several builts but also have a Raspian with a DAC testing at the moment.
Depends on the age of the old tablet you can use VNC to control the raspberry pi if you run Rasbian. I also installed Pulseaudio so I can upsample the source.

jcyr

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:29 pm

I also use Volumio with a HiFiBerry DAC Pro to my tube amp. Highly recommended!

However, this setup doesn't have the analog to digital converter inputs the OP requires.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

PhatFil

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:14 pm

this is a fully featured pi-hifi project https://github.com/project-owner/PeppyPlayers.doc/wiki and the autor has popped his head round our corner more than once too to offer support when needed..

DarkPlatinum

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Well now that you mention this an advertisement came up on etcher while I was flashing a card....

https://www.balena.io/blog/turn-your-ol ... rerequired
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

wh7qq

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:21 pm

lucapearce wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:46 am
Hi There Can anyone help with the following pr point me in the right direction.

I am new to using the PI, however I want to re purpose my dads HIFI system and bring him up to the 21st century. Lol

Despite the obvious "ageist" attitude of the above, I offer the following:

Check out the AudioInjector Stereo soundcard for the RPi. It provides CD quality audio in or out. I have used mine to record .wav files from vinyl LPs and play them back through the stereo with excellent results. It has in and out RCA style jacks and plugs into the GPIO bus on the RPi...is powered by it. It is priced well under $30 US on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Card-Raspb ... way&sr=8-2

Another good option is the FE-PI Audio Z V2 which has an RPi zero form factor and 3.5 mm in and out jacks and does pretty much the same job for even less $$. https://fe-pi.com/products/fe-pi-audio-z-v2. I have played .wav files back with this and they sound great but I have not recorded with mine yet so cannot say anything about that.

Both cards utilize the Alsa sound software and have built-in linux kernel drivers. I have used the Audacity package to monitor and control the recording process. Alsa and Audacity are in the Raspbian repositories if not already present on your system.

BTW, at my 75 years, I have long-since done what you seek to do. Age doesn't equate to dementia or to being a "trog". Give Dad a break. He has probably forgotten more than you think you know about sound systems.

energyi

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:17 pm

Pick a HAT or USB audio card. Try Moode Audio dedicated audio software.
energyi

Greg Erskine

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:09 pm

We are very lucky as there many audio options for the Raspberry Pi. I doubt any will do exactly what you want out of the box, but with some effort you should be able to get a solution.

Another option to add to your list, piCorePlayer.

https://www.picoreplayer.org/index.html

We have recently added "audio in" to piCorePlayer.
* Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation

wh7qq

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:22 pm

It may just be that their listing is out of date but I see nothing in Moode's web page to indicate that they support the AudioInjector or FE-PI hats, both of which have ADC as well as DAC capabilities. Nearly all of the devices shown on Moode's device support page are DAC only with just a few having both functions. It looks like interesting software but if you intend to digitize vinyl or any analog source, you need ADC and DAC ability. Choose with care.

LTolledo

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:48 pm

In my current "RPi HiFi system" am only using/accessing digital contents from my NAS and online sources
not accessing other hardware audio sources

Setup 1: RPi3B+ desktop (this one am using to access this forum)
1. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
2. Raspbian Stretch with Desktop booted from SSD
3. Suptronics X400 v3.0 DAC HAT with built in digital amp 35W + 35W RMS, connected to Onkyo Bookshelf speakers
4. several LED VU meter clusters (linear and microcontroller based)
5. VLC player or Kodi , media accessed over the network (from NAS, etc)

Setup 2: RPiZW "Party Animal"
1. Headless Raspberry Pi Zero WH
2. 15x15x6 heatsink on SoC/RAM
3. 5V 1A PSU
3. I2S DAC (pHAT DAC from Pimoroni) with headphone/RCA jacks
5. I2S DAC connected to 2 x 2-600W amplifiers (yes 2 sets), 2 x 800W speaker sets and 1 x 1500W subwoofer
4. WiFi connection to network
5. Volumio in microSD card
6. Android or IOS or PC control Volumio via webpage
7. Music files accessed from NAS, plugged USB memory/HDD or internet radio stations.

below are some example setups, the "Party Animal" RPi is the one on the right
RPi HiFi sources.jpg
RPi HiFi sources.jpg (224.4 KiB) Viewed 740 times
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

LTolledo

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:24 am

Ok here this is another example, this one using Raspberry Pi Model B (c)2012
Raspbian Stretch with minimal Desktop, auto-booting to Kodi
the DAC is shown on the TopView image
the Sanwa black speakers are driven by PAM8403 housed inside the carton box
the Onkyo Speakers are driven by the Lepy Amp
RPi1B Media Player FrontView.jpg
RPi1B Media Player FrontView.jpg (190.71 KiB) Viewed 731 times
RPi1B Media Player TopView.jpg
RPi1B Media Player TopView.jpg (165.19 KiB) Viewed 731 times
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

fredvej

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:30 am

My experience with a HiFiBerry DAC HAT on a Raspberry Pi 3 running Raspbian with an installed Music Player Daemon (MPD) is very good. I have all my digital music files on an external USB drive connected to the Raspberry Pi.

Connect the HiFiBerry to the amplifier as a source, then dad's HIFI system can be used as usual for source selection and driving speakers. All digital sources can then be handled by the Raspberry Pi MPD. Install a client for MPD on the tablet, and dad gets a nice interface to handle all digital sources.

Return to “General discussion”