cpc464

Updated for Pi 4 / Buster: Simple Nextcloud Installation on Raspberry Pi

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Evening all,

I've updated my article on installing Nextcloud on the Raspberry Pi. Now it works for the Pi 4 and Raspbian Buster, too:

http://unixetc.co.uk/2016/11/20/simple- ... pberry-pi/

The procedure for doing it automatically is as follows. Using Ansible, the whole installation, with either MySQL or SQLite, is completed in a few minutes:

http://unixetc.co.uk/2017/11/25/automat ... pberry-pi/

How does Nextcloud run on the Pi 4? Beautifully. It works so fast that using Nextcloud becomes a pleasure. With the Pi 2 and 4, it was okay, but with the Pi 4, all the pauses and waiting are gone.

Jim.
Unix engineer since 1989

itsmedoofer

Re: Updated for Pi 4 / Buster: Simple Nextcloud Installation on Raspberry Pi

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:54 am

Hi,

I thought I would give this a spin on my Pi4 4Gb as it was my primary reason for buying one.

Some feedback….

The automatic installation appears to go OK, although after setting up the admin user it took about 15 minutes before I got the welcome screen, only top told me it was actually doing something.

I used the provided instructions to move my data onto a USB3 HDD, this appeared to work OK, no errors at the shell.

The overview tab has as few issues that are easily resolved.

The PHP memory limit is set too low at 128Mb should be at least 512Mb

Code: Select all

sudo nano  /etc/php/7.3/apache2/php.ini
Look for memory_limit = 128M and change to memory_limit = 512M

Restart apache

sudo systemctl restart apache2
there are a couple of dependencies that would appear beneficial to install,

sudo apt install php-imagick php7.3-intl
again restart apache

sudo systemctl restart apache2
Now some bigger issues that linger..

The logs have lots of these

OCP\Files\ForbiddenException: Following symlinks is not allowed
I think probably from moving the data, I've not found a solution to this, having looked I’m not actually sure if my data is actually being stored on the HDD.....

The overview tells me:-

Some app directories are owned by a different user than the web server one. This may be the case if apps have been installed manually. Check the permissions of the following app directories:
•	/var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/accessibility
•	(and so on)
Not found a solution to this yet either.

My initial impression, I have to say is, I’m a bit disheartened with the nextcloud performance on the Pi4, I was expecting a lot more, it still feels very laggy, no zip to it, both in the Android app and via a web browser, as it stands I don’t think I would replace OneDrive with it…

This could be partly due to the fact that I’m booting off of a U1 SD card, I don’t know where the caches are but if they are on SD they are not going to be spectacular.

Choice of database could be a problem, is MySQL too heavy for SD card use ?

I’m not totally certain that my files are being stored on the HDD because of the error above.

I need to have a bit more of a play I think…

cpc464

Re: Updated for Pi 4 / Buster: Simple Nextcloud Installation on Raspberry Pi

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:29 am

15 minutes before you saw the welcome screen ? :? Something not right there, it should be more like 60 seconds.

Your optimizations look fine, but I won't be adding them to the article, which is for installing Nextcloud only, per the title. Was quite tempted to add that memory increase though.

I've not played around with Nextcloud on the Pi 4 much, but you might have other issues, given the 15 minute configuration wait described above.

- no MySQL is not too heady for SD card use, with a healthy SD card.

Jim
Unix engineer since 1989

Return to “General discussion”