begagaga

I NEED HELP TO FIND A SENSOR THAT MEASURES OXYGEN

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm

Good morning, we are students who are carrying out a project on how to measure the environmental conditions of enclosed spaces, and we are using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B +.
We need a sensor that measures the oxygen concentration in the environment urgently. We have already found a model: ME2-O2. The problem is that this sensor costs around 44 euros and comes from China.
Do you know of pages where we can find similar models and much more affordable? Do you know of models that have the same features as this sensor?
Thank you!

wh7qq

Re: I NEED HELP TO FIND A SENSOR THAT MEASURES OXYGEN

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm

You don't mention the measurement range required or the output characteristics you need. Also, the nature of your application...automotive, aeronautical, medical...all make a difference in the manufacturer's cost burden, hence your price. From just a cursory search, the 44 euro price looks ok...most I saw were in that range. Spending some time with a good search engine on the web is your best bet.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:32 pm

Welcome to the forums.

Please do not use all caps subject lines. It makes you look like you are shouting at people, and most people do not like being shouted at.

jbeale

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 pm

I have seen some VOC (volatile organic compound) or hydrocarbon sensors for a little bit less, but oxygen sensors are generally more expensive.
Many applications of oxygen sensors are in automobile engine systems to get fuel/air mixtures right, and the design may assume the sensor is at some high temperature like 100 C or more. That kind of sensor may not work as expected at typical room temperature and humidity levels.

If you find a cheap, accurate oxygen sensor that works in normal room-temperature conditions, I'd love to hear about it, because I'm not aware of one.

There's one sort-of exception: you can get a cheap blood-oxygen sensor that clips on your finger, but then you need a person to attach it to :-)

trejan

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:34 pm

jbeale wrote:
There's one sort-of exception: you can get a cheap blood-oxygen sensor that clips on your finger, but then you need a person to attach it to :-)
Could get expensive in replacement sensor costs if you need to measure in low oxygen environments.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:44 am

jbeale wrote:
Some of those attach to the ear... You really don't want to be the person it's attached to when the alarm it's linked to goes off. It's not the most pleasant experience in the world.

Return to “General discussion”