feerbau

Can i use this charger on my Raspberry?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 pm

Hello i just got my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ , i didn't buy a Power Supply for it but i have one that i use with my cellphone.
I wanted to know if anyone knows if it´s good enough or if it will cause trouble or harm the Raspberry.
The charger is Motorola TurboPower Charger, here are some photos with specifications of it .
https://imgur.com/6q8kWvX
https://imgur.com/MiX3ObO
https://imgur.com/VCamnYW

I hope there is no problem with the links, i couldnt attach the files because of the size.

wh7qq

Re: Can i use this charger on my Raspberry?

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 pm

As has been repeated many times in these forums, phone chargers, regardless of current rating, may not have proper voltage regulation to maintain the RPi's narrow range under load and may create unreliable operation/failures particularly at start-up.

Chargers need only produce sufficient voltage to charge up the phone battery (nominally 3.7v DC). It probably won't hurt anything on the RPi board but unpredictable start-up behavior could corrupt an SD card.

feerbau

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:03 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:00 pm
As has been repeated many times in these forums, phone chargers, regardless of current rating, may not have proper voltage regulation to maintain the RPi's narrow range under load and may create unreliable operation/failures particularly at start-up.

Chargers need only produce sufficient voltage to charge up the phone battery (nominally 3.7v DC). It probably won't hurt anything on the RPi board but unpredictable start-up behavior could corrupt an SD card.
Okay, thanks for replying!

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Another potential problem with a charger like that is it requires a separate micro USB cable, and standard micro USB cables are not designed to deliver much more than 500mA (0.5A) without voltage loss. So the problem is twofold. The charger may not be adequate, and the micro USB cable delivering the power may have too much resistance.

This is why phone chargers are not recommended as power supplies for a Raspberry Pi computer.

That being said, some phone chargers will work fine (provided you have a good micro USB cable as well). The problem is, without a proper load test you can't be sure. It may work fine for light tasks, and then you try something that pushes the SoC really hard, or connect a power hungry USB device or HAT and bad things start to happen. We've seen this before where people ask for help with a power problem and swear their PSU (charger) is fine, because it's been working for weeks.

So, if you are on a tight budget, give it a try, but don't be surprised if you run into power problems (now, or in the future). Also, use a micro USB cable rated for fast charging phones at 2.4A, not a standard cable.

Note that when there are power problems it could result in corruption of data on the micro SD card. Usually this is not permanent (the card can be reformatted or reimaged and will be fine), but there is a small chance the card may get locked in read-only mode and need to be replaced.

If all of this leaves you feeling uncertain, the official 5.1V/2.5A Raspberry Pi Power Supply is a proven performer, and usually quite affordable (not the new 3A version for the Pi4, which has a different connector).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”