User avatar
Wizard
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:00 pm

I also received two China-made Raspberry Pi's yesterday after nearly six months waiting...

...and as a bonus one doubled up as a maracas :lol:

I have a black belt in soldering so putting the cap back on the board wasn't a biggie but counting all the dodgy boards delivered from China one must begin to wonder? What about those who are unable?

I'm sure my broken Raspberry Pi left the factory in one piece but less-than-great soldering - or the tin compound itself - is probably the culprit.
Often I find industrial soldering tin much harder to (de)solder than my own and this tin melted even at low setting on my soldering pen...
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23382
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Wizard wrote:I also received two China-made Raspberry Pi's yesterday after nearly six months waiting...

...and as a bonus one doubled up as a maracas :lol:

I have a black belt in soldering so putting the cap back on the board wasn't a biggie but counting all the dodgy boards delivered from China one must begin to wonder? What about those who are unable?

I'm sure my broken Raspberry Pi left the factory in one piece but less-than-great soldering - or the tin compound itself - is probably the culprit.
Often I find industrial soldering tin much harder to (de)solder than my own and this tin melted even at low setting on my soldering pen...
THose caps are a bit fragile, but in fact the board will work without them.

Note that there are 10k's of Raspi's coming out of China per week, so counting all the 'dodgy' boards and you still have a tiny percentage.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
Wizard
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:52 am
Location: Sweden

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 pm

jamesh wrote: THose caps are a bit fragile, but in fact the board will work without them.

Note that there are 10k's of Raspi's coming out of China per week, so counting all the 'dodgy' boards and you still have a tiny percentage.
Yes, I know it'll work without that capacitor but one would hope it wouldn't fall off since the raspi is packed in a pretty sturdy plastic container...
Comparing my UK made raspis with the Chinese ones and the soldering is drastically different, and so is the characteristics of the tin as well.

I made the post in order to point out the fact that the soldering tin might be a source of error, not complaining about the product.
Raspberry Pi - finally a worthy replacement for A500!!!

User avatar
JackNapster
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 am

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 am

TD-er wrote:
jamesh wrote:[...]
Out of interest, have you been charged yet for the Raspi? If not, then the big bucks involved are not that big, as money stays in people accounts until close to receipt time.
The name of the person you replied to, looks kinda Dutch to me, and I'm from Holland too.
My credit-card was charged alsmost immediately after ordering and I guess this is normal practice for Dutch credit-card users.
So at RS they have at least my money (and possibly from thousands of others) already for way over 3 months now and no news in the email. It really is about a lot of money.
Yesterday i made an order from RS. But when i got the truth that all RS Rasp Pis are not "made in the U.K. " , i cancelled the order. Then I got an email that all my refund will be processed in 2 weeks, which means they will keep my money in two weeks. :o

But as what you've said, I might be longer. Suppose that RS keep all the money who cancelled the orders for months without paying people the interests which are the same as the credit-cards might have. :?
Then RS might use all these refunds to use or do other financial investments. We are at risk, but they can get what they want totally without risk, and you have no right to claim that thing. :evil:

That's unfair. :evil:

The best truth for people is that it's better to order them from element14 or shops in China maybe. :roll:
Because in China, refund will be returned very quickly.
The best thing is it's cheep. :D ;)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23382
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:19 am

JackNapster wrote: Yesterday i made an order from RS. But when i got the truth that all RS Rasp Pis are not "made in the U.K. " , i cancelled the order. Then I got an email that all my refund will be processed in 2 weeks, which means they will keep my money in two weeks. :o
...
The best truth for people is that it's better to order them from element14 or shops in China maybe. :roll:
Because in China, refund will be returned very quickly.
The best thing is it's cheep. :D ;)
It's always been public knowledge that Farnell make most of their boards in the UK, and RS make all theirs in China.

Do shops in China sell the board? Could you post links?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

User avatar
JackNapster
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 am

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:10 pm

jamesh wrote:
JackNapster wrote: Yesterday i made an order from RS. But when i got the truth that all RS Rasp Pis are not "made in the U.K. " , i cancelled the order. Then I got an email that all my refund will be processed in 2 weeks, which means they will keep my money in two weeks. :o
...
The best truth for people is that it's better to order them from element14 or shops in China maybe. :roll:
Because in China, refund will be returned very quickly.
The best thing is it's cheep. :D ;)
It's always been public knowledge that Farnell make most of their boards in the UK, and RS make all theirs in China.

Do shops in China sell the board? Could you post links?
There we go:

!). taobao.com (like ebay in U.K.)
http://s.taobao.com/search?q=raspberry+ ... 5D#rankbar
(you might need google translator )

2) And on aliexpress.com ( more than amazon or ebay ) :
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0&manual=y
(recommended one, but price just a little high. :/ )

3) And some forums in China are cooperating with cn.element14.com
the electronic board forum:
http://www.eeboard.com/bbs/thread-4157-1-1.html

4. And ShenZhen sales agency ( Made in China )
http://ickey.cn/raspberrypi.php

5. Many other different sellers... haven't listed yet

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23382
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 pm

JackNapster wrote:
jamesh wrote:
JackNapster wrote: Yesterday i made an order from RS. But when i got the truth that all RS Rasp Pis are not "made in the U.K. " , i cancelled the order. Then I got an email that all my refund will be processed in 2 weeks, which means they will keep my money in two weeks. :o
...
The best truth for people is that it's better to order them from element14 or shops in China maybe. :roll:
Because in China, refund will be returned very quickly.
The best thing is it's cheep. :D ;)
It's always been public knowledge that Farnell make most of their boards in the UK, and RS make all theirs in China.

Do shops in China sell the board? Could you post links?
There we go:

!). taobao.com (like ebay in U.K.)
http://s.taobao.com/search?q=raspberry+ ... 5D#rankbar
(you might need google translator )

2) And on aliexpress.com ( more than amazon or ebay ) :
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?Sea ... 0&manual=y
(recommended one, but price just a little high. :/ )

3) And some forums in China are cooperating with cn.element14.com
the electronic board forum:
http://www.eeboard.com/bbs/thread-4157-1-1.html

4. And ShenZhen sales agency ( Made in China )
http://ickey.cn/raspberrypi.php

5. Many other different sellers... haven't listed yet
I wonder where they get their stock from - only possibilities are RS or Farnell. I'd still be inclined to buy from RS, Farnell, or the more sensibly priced resellers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

marcelp1
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 pm

jamesh wrote:
marcelp1 wrote:Just received my second RPi from RS (ordered on 24/08/2012)
and it has been made in China!

There are finger marks on the RPis ethernet and hdmi connector as well :(

Disappointed, if I knew that would be the case, I would have ordered from Farnell
to receive the one made in the UK!
It has been publicised (and mentioned here a lot) that Farnell are the company making most of their Raspi's in the UK, and RS make ALL of theirs in China.

Hi James,

thanx for replying.
I have read the http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub page, and no mention who is supplying which RPi nor the main web page of RPi so I have assumed (I know :( ) that they are all made in the UK now should have read this forum.

Anyway ordered 2 and got them delivered in few days from element14 with the PiView and must say, made in UK looks much better quality somehow :) so happy now :)

mdsix
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:00 pm

I've just learned of the Pi about 2 weeks ago and I've seen it mentioned a few times that RS makes them in China while Farnell makes most in the UK. I would like to get a UK made board so where should I order from? I've seen some for sale at Newark and MCM and I believe those are both Farnell companies right? MCM has them in stock now so I'd like to order one but I'll hold off if I might have a better chance of getting a UK one from somewhere else.

Thanks

User avatar
Dweeber
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact: Website

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:29 pm

mdsix wrote:I've just learned of the Pi about 2 weeks ago and I've seen it mentioned a few times that RS makes them in China while Farnell makes most in the UK. I would like to get a UK made board so where should I order from? I've seen some for sale at Newark and MCM and I believe those are both Farnell companies right? MCM has them in stock now so I'd like to order one but I'll hold off if I might have a better chance of getting a UK one from somewhere else.

Thanks
I am assuming since you didn't mention that you are in the US?

If you purchase from Farnell in the UK you have a good "chance" of getting a Made In UK board.

That is not true of any of the other "Farnell companies"... Without going through a 3rd party who purchases a board and can identify that it is From the UK and then sells it to you... you will never know until you get it.

I have ordered from Newark, and MCM and both were from China. This may change in the future, but really... it is a $35 board. Not sure what the angst is about... if you want one get one.

None of the 4 Raspberry Pi's I currently have have had issues. They are all from China.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

pygmy_giant
Posts: 1562
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:49 am

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 pm

or NewIT - all theirs are from welsh wales

mdsix
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: "Made in China" Raspberry Pi

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:36 am

Dweeber wrote:
mdsix wrote:I've just learned of the Pi about 2 weeks ago and I've seen it mentioned a few times that RS makes them in China while Farnell makes most in the UK. I would like to get a UK made board so where should I order from? I've seen some for sale at Newark and MCM and I believe those are both Farnell companies right? MCM has them in stock now so I'd like to order one but I'll hold off if I might have a better chance of getting a UK one from somewhere else.

Thanks
I am assuming since you didn't mention that you are in the US?

If you purchase from Farnell in the UK you have a good "chance" of getting a Made In UK board.

That is not true of any of the other "Farnell companies"... Without going through a 3rd party who purchases a board and can identify that it is From the UK and then sells it to you... you will never know until you get it.

I have ordered from Newark, and MCM and both were from China. This may change in the future, but really... it is a $35 board. Not sure what the angst is about... if you want one get one.

None of the 4 Raspberry Pi's I currently have have had issues. They are all from China.
Apologies, I forgot to mention that I am in the US.

To be honest, it's not a deal breaker where its made from as most electronics these days are from China but given the choice, I'd rather buy UK made one. I was only inquiring about where I might have the best chance at getting one.

Thanks for your reply :)

Return to “General discussion”