nkc108

Upgrading From Wheezy to Buster

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm

I am a beginner and just bringing back out my old raspberry 2. It still has Raspbian Wheezy so I am upgrading to Jessie and then to Stretch etc but do I have to add the packages or can I skip that part and just add packages once I am upgraded to Buster?

klricks

Re: Upgrading From Wheezy to Buster

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 pm

nkc108 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 pm
I am a beginner and just bringing back out my old raspberry 2. It still has Raspbian Wheezy so I am upgrading to Jessie and then to Stretch etc but do I have to add the packages or can I skip that part and just add packages once I am upgraded to Buster?
Don't know what you mean by "....but do I have to add the packages or can I skip that part..."
It is not recommended to attempt an upgrade from one major release to another. Upgrading 2 steps is more than double trouble.
Your chances of ending up with a usable system are low...
Much better do a fresh download and install.
If you must then be sure to backup your original SD card before attempting the upgrades...
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:58 am

We'll see... I have several Pis that got an upgrade in place from Jessie to Stretch, which went very smoothly with no problems. I start with a system that is completely non-critical to anything I'm planning to do, or has an ongoing function. One of the ways I do that is to use a backup system that looks like the one I plan to upgrade and test on that.

I think the real problem here--and it's one that needs to be addressed for new major releases--is that more and more Pis are inaccessible or have inaccessible SD cards (such as ones that are mounted to RPF 7" displays, where one would have to at least unmount the Pi or work with the rather finicky and fragile flex cable), or are using non-SD card boot media, such as HDDs or SSDs. You really don't want to wipe those just to do a system upgrade if it is at all avoidable.

tl;dr A major system upgrade tool would be a good idea.

LTolledo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:08 am

I also know its an exercise of futility :?

but I really really like W.H. Heydt's suggestion. 8-)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
The recommended way to "upgrade" is to start over with a new install. You're not going to get a major system upgrade tool, because Raspbian is based on Debian Stable, which is not a rolling release.

If you want a rolling release you'll need to switch to something like Arch or Gentoo.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
The recommended way to "upgrade" is to start over with a new install. You're not going to get a major system upgrade tool, because Raspbian is based on Debian Stable, which is not a rolling release.

If you want a rolling release you'll need to switch to something like Arch or Gentoo.
It's not like each major release starts with a blank slate. It should be possible to at least have something that would check for problem areas so one knows where to look.

HawaiianPi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:09 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:04 am
It's not like each major release starts with a blank slate. It should be possible to at least have something that would check for problem areas so one knows where to look.
I didn't say it was impossible, I just said it isn't going to happen (Debian is about stability above all else). I suppose someone could make such a utility themselves, but I don't see that ever happening from an "official" source (Debian/Raspbian).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”