arriquitraun

Raspberry Pi 4 can´t boot!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi All,

After purchasing my new Raspberry pi 4 2GB version, I copied the new raspbian image into my SD 32 GB card and I attempted to load that. It does not work. Even following the troubleshooting from Raspberry Pi STICKY latest post, when using the recovery.bin file, no green lights are flashing. I have attempted to copy the recovery.bin file only, and also pieeprom.bin with recovery.bin together. Should I return the product or do I have any solution to this?

Thanks in advance!

pcmanbob

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 can´t boot!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi.

So first off if you remove every thing from your pi including the SD card and just power it up , what does the RED & green LED do ?

Secondly you say you copied the new raspbian image into my SD 32 GB card, exactly which OS did you download and how did you copy it to the SD card.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

drgeoff

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:23 pm

arriquitraun wrote:
Hi All,

After purchasing my new Raspberry pi 4 2GB version, I copied the new raspbian image into my SD 32 GB card
If you literally copied the image to the card you have not followed the instructions.

You copy NOOBS. You flash/write an OS image.

arriquitraun

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:41 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm
Hi.

So first off if you remove every thing from your pi including the SD card and just power it up , what does the RED & green LED do ?

Secondly you say you copied the new raspbian image into my SD 32 GB card, exactly which OS did you download and how did you copy it to the SD card.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The red lights remains constant, the green one flashes very fast once, and then it does not flash again anymore.

The image installed with etcher is the latest Raspbian image from June 2019. It did not boot anything.

arriquitraun

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:45 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:23 pm
arriquitraun wrote:
Hi All,

After purchasing my new Raspberry pi 4 2GB version, I copied the new raspbian image into my SD 32 GB card
If you literally copied the image to the card you have not followed the instructions.

You copy NOOBS. You flash/write an OS image.
Yes, sorry, did not use the correct words. I used Etcher software to FLASH the latest Raspbian image from June 2019. Also tried to COPY NOOB but nothing different happened.

The .bin files I attempeted to run haven't neither changed anything on the green light, as it should flash 4 times.

pcmanbob

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

It sounds like the EEPROM is corrupt, did you follow the instruction correctly to reprogram the EEPROM contained in the recovery section of this page https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ ?

I would try again following the instructions
Recovery

If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted.

To check, remove the SD card, disconnect the device from power, then reconnect it. If the green LED does not flash, you will need to reprogram the EEPROM:

Download the bootloader
Extract it to an empty FAT-formatted SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 4
Connect the power and wait for the green LED to flash quickly
once you have done this power down the pi , remove the SD card and power the pi , the green LED should flash 4 times on a repeating cycle , if it still does not do this talk to your supplier about replacement.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

arriquitraun

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm
It sounds like the EEPROM is corrupt, did you follow the instruction correctly to reprogram the EEPROM contained in the recovery section of this page https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ ?

I would try again following the instructions
Recovery

If your Raspberry Pi 4 will not boot, it is possible that the SPI EEPROM has become corrupted.

To check, remove the SD card, disconnect the device from power, then reconnect it. If the green LED does not flash, you will need to reprogram the EEPROM:

Download the bootloader
Extract it to an empty FAT-formatted SD card and insert it into your Raspberry Pi 4
Connect the power and wait for the green LED to flash quickly
once you have done this power down the pi , remove the SD card and power the pi , the green LED should flash 4 times on a repeating cycle , if it still does not do this talk to your supplier about replacement.
The latest update for the recovery.bin file is from 10-05-2019 and the instructions inside refers to the Raspberry Pi 3 instead of Raspberry Pi 4. Is that the reason that the EEPROM does not recover well? Should that be the same file for both Raspberry Pi versions

I´m downloading the recovery file(s) from "Recovery" section on the link below:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

pcmanbob

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm

The pi4 is the only pi with the flash able EEPROM and the read me file mentions the Raspberry Pi 4 at the beginning of the text, there is no reference to the pi3 in the text.

Code: Select all

Raspberry Pi 4 EEPROM bootloader rescue image

The Raspberry Pi4 contains a small EEPROM used to contain the bootloader.
Normally, this is completely invisible but it it were to become corrupted
(e.g. due to a failed EEPROM upgrade or a broken image or incorrect usage
of flashrom) then the Pi4 will fail to boot.

To re-flash the EEPROM

1. Unzip the contents of this zip file to a blank FAT formatted SD-SDCARD.
2. Power off the Raspberry Pi
3. Insert the sd-card.
4. Power on Raspberry Pi
5. Wait at least 10 seconds.

If successful, the green LED light will blink rapidly (forever), otherwise
an error pattern will be displayed.

N.B. This image is not a bootloader it simply replaces the on-board bootloader.
it was probably just the way your file reader was presenting the text.

arriquitraun

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:36 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:16 pm
The pi4 is the only pi with the flash able EEPROM and the read me file mentions the Raspberry Pi 4 at the beginning of the text, there is no reference to the pi3 in the text.

Code: Select all

Raspberry Pi 4 EEPROM bootloader rescue image

The Raspberry Pi4 contains a small EEPROM used to contain the bootloader.
Normally, this is completely invisible but it it were to become corrupted
(e.g. due to a failed EEPROM upgrade or a broken image or incorrect usage
of flashrom) then the Pi4 will fail to boot.

To re-flash the EEPROM

1. Unzip the contents of this zip file to a blank FAT formatted SD-SDCARD.
2. Power off the Raspberry Pi
3. Insert the sd-card.
4. Power on Raspberry Pi
5. Wait at least 10 seconds.

If successful, the green LED light will blink rapidly (forever), otherwise
an error pattern will be displayed.

N.B. This image is not a bootloader it simply replaces the on-board bootloader.
it was probably just the way your file reader was presenting the text.
You were right, thanks!

Unfortunatelly the Raspberry still does not blink the green light. Will contact with the shop where I purchased it. Thanks all for your help.

timg236
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Please can you try booting without the sd-card present. If the green LED light flashes 4 times then EEPROM is running but indicating that start.elf is not found.

It's also worth checking that the boot partition is FAT16/FAT32 and not exFAT or NTFS.

fbe

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

You mentioned Raspberry Pi 4 and SD card only. Are you trying to install headless or have you got keyboard, mouse and screen for your Raspberry Pi?
What power supply are you using?

arriquitraun

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 pm

fbe wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm
You mentioned Raspberry Pi 4 and SD card only. Are you trying to install headless or have you got keyboard, mouse and screen for your Raspberry Pi?
What power supply are you using?
Hi, sorry for the delay.

Yes, I have been using a Logitech keyboard with integrated touchpad, as in my other pi3. The power supply used has been the official provided. An HDMI micro adapter was used to connect the pi4 to a Benq monitor.

After attempting to boot different things from the sd (noobs, raspbian) in different ways and attempting to get the 4 green blinks, nothing worked. Fortunatelly, a replacement will arrive soon. Hope this new one works.

Did this happen to others?

Thank you all again for your help

HawaiianPi

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 pm

arriquitraun wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 pm
Did this happen to others?
Raspberry Pi computers are all tested before being sold, so it's quite uncommon for one to actually be defective. In most cases it is a power, card preparation or configuration issue. In a smaller number of cases it's user caused damage. But nothing is 100% certain, except for death and taxes, so the occasional defective Pi does get out into the wild.

Please let us know if the new replacement works for you.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”